View Poll Results: Do you support an online weekly draw for Cat One WMAs?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

57 60.00%
  • No

38 40.00%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Poll Cat One WMA (please vote)

Default New Poll Cat One WMA (please vote)

Through discussions from the other thread, the direction of this idea has taken a more logical turn.

On the Cat One WMAs rotation system, the property for that year will be up for a weekly draw.

Hunters will be able to submit their information to SCDNR from Monday at 8am until Noon on Wednesday.

Email confirmation from DNR will be sent Thursday by close of business.

All other Cat One WMAs will remain within the current draw guidelines.

Hunters will still be able to apply for the other properties and preference points will be used towards those properties.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Have you ever seen the ducks pile into Cat1s after the season is out?
    yes i have and wonder why they are more after the season than during the hunt ? their are several reasons for that : weather and pressure my friend. listen , in all seriuosness , i get what you are pushing for and if i lived down their and could show up every weekend to see if i got drawn for a hunt with little invested, then i would be drinking the cool-aid to but i dont and i enjoy my hunt with my family every 3 years on the " PLACE THAT WE HAVE WAITED 3 YEARS TO HUNT" and not get it pulled out from under us the year that we would get picked for it just to make it easier for you guys that live down their to be able to hunt it more often.

this was from the last post before you started a new thread

Quote Originally Posted by scandler View Post
    Have you ever seen the ducks pile into Cat1s after the season is out?
    yes i have and wonder why they are more after the season than during the hunt ? their are several reasons for that : weather and pressure my friend. listen , in all seriuosness , i get what you are pushing for and if i lived down their and could show up every weekend to see if i got drawn for a hunt with little invested, then i would be drinking the cool-aid to but i dont and i enjoy my hunt with my family every 3 years on the " PLACE THAT WE HAVE WAITED 3 YEARS TO HUNT" and not get it pulled out from under us the year that we would get picked for it just to make it easier for you guys that live down their to be able to hunt it more often.
    I can't come to any other conclusion than that you just aren't understanding what I am saying.

Please.....read the new poll.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Damnit.....Mods/Admin, can you make the poll public?

Bog,

I think this needs to have a monetary value in order to be looked at by anyone who could make it happen. Would you be charged to register for the drawing every week online? This would deter thousands of people from registering every week just hoping to get selected and would help cut down on no shows. It would also give those people who could actually make the trip a better shot at getting selected the week they register. What's stopping me from registering every week if it is free? What incentive is there for the government to entertain this idea? I understand the government is supposed to work for us but these days money talks.
    Last edited by Jay; 10-29-2013 at 03:29 PM.

I like it.

But the negative nelly in me says DNR can not efficiently work out the logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Bog,

I think this needs to have a monetary value in order to be looked at by anyone who could make it happen. Would you be charged to register for the drawing every week online? This would deter thousands of people from registering every week just hoping to get selected and would help cut down on no shows. It would also give those people who could actually make the trip a better shot at getting selected the week they register. What's stopping me from registering every week if it is free? What incentive is there for the government to entertain this idea? I understand the government is supposed to work for us but these days money talks.
    Now that they have the online option, you're able to enter your credit card info and pay online. I would think they could charge your card once you're drawn.
    Last edited by Duke; 10-29-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Bog,

Good point.

Yes, non-refundable 10.00 via online payment to enter the draw.
    ie: It costs you 10 bucks each every week if you apply every Monday.

I voted yes as long as there is no increase in pressure/hunters. I don't like messing with one of the few things that keeps ducks in the area. No need to be greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Good point.

Yes, non-refundable 10.00 via online payment to enter the draw.
    ie: It costs you 10 bucks each every week if you apply every Monday.
    I have no idea if this is true or not, but they're have been accusations of the "good ol boy program" and certain groups of hunters that get "drawn" every year.....If there's any truth to it, It would suck to know that I'm kicking in $10 every week when some of the slots are already pencilled in.

That's why i would prefer to only pay if drawn to hunt... DNR has your card # on file, if you're drawn they charge it X amount of dollars.
    Last edited by Duke; 10-29-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    I voted yes as long as there is no increase in pressure/hunters. I don't like messing with one of the few things that keeps ducks in the area. No need to be greedy.
    Let's say SCR hunts 30 people currently.

One impoundment...maybe 3-400 acres.

SCR is 24K acres.......read that twice.

There is a 1,000 acre bird sanctuary on the property that has never been nor will ever be hunted.

Are you worried about 60 people pressuring that much land?

Seriously?

If there was actually food for ducks pressure wouldn't be such an issue

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I have no idea if this is true or not, but they're have been accusations of the "good ol boy program" and certain groups of hunters that get "drawn" every year.....If there's any truth to it, It would suck to know that I'm kicking in $10 every week when some of the slots are already pencilled in.

That's why i would prefer to only pay if drawn to hunt... DNR has your card # on file, if you're drawn they charge it X amount of dollars.
    I understand, and I am not above believing some of that may go on, but there has to be monetary benefit for the State as well as DNR.
    If 1500 people draw non-refundable each week versus 30-50 only paying if they get drawn.....do the math.

Let's say SCR hunts 30 people currently.

One impoundment...maybe 3-400 acres.

SCR is 24K acres.......read that twice.

There is a 1,000 acre bird sanctuary on the property that has never been nor will ever be hunted.

Are you worried about 60 people pressuring that much land?

Seriously?
    If that land was private held, they'd be hunting a lot more than 30/week.

I still think using the current system, just scheduling more hunters/hunt day or more hunt days/week is the best answer. Again, with the goal of averaging a quality draw every 1.5 years.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

That property could hunt well over 100 and not bat an eye.

I understand, and I am not above believing some of that may go on, but there has to be monetary benefit for the State as well as DNR.
    If 1500 people draw non-refundable each week versus 30-50 only paying if they get drawn.....do the math.
    Good point

I feel the cat 1's aren't utilized to there full potential. Changing the draw system will accomplish nothing in my opinion.
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

I like it. I would pay ten bucks a week to put in. I hope those fine gents know how good they had it before the state took that place.
    \"Go to Know\"

Quote Originally Posted by mudeagle View Post
    I feel the cat 1's aren't utilized to there full potential. Changing the draw system will accomplish nothing in my opinion.
    Mud, I don't know if you have read the other thread, but the Cat1s (7-8 I believe) would be on a rotation.

Only one property would operate under the 10.00 draw per year, and that property would return to normal draw system after that waterfowl season.
    It wouldn't be up for the 10.00 draw again until the other 7-8 properties had gone through the rotation.

In a single year, SC hunters would still be able to be drawn for any of the other properties, as well as be able to put in for the weekly draw to hunt the 10.00 property.

You could potentially hunt some of the best habitat in the State 3-5 times a season.

What's not to like?