Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hevi Metal: 4's or 6's?

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Where the fuck are y'all buying Heavy Metal for $3 a shell?!?!?!
    I guess 75$ a box made their argument sound better. That, or they haven't used it or looked it up before talking trash. Only a few dollars more than dirty Kents.

Quote Originally Posted by surfcock View Post
    Guys, the hevi-metal are different than traditional Hevi-shot, and much cheaper. I paid 19 bucks at the end of last season for the box of 25 I'll be trying out soon.
    What Surf said. I shot hevi-metal all last season when the cost of hevi-shot went out of sight. The hevi-metal shells have proven their worth to me and they will be my go to shell until something better and more cost effective hits the market.

I choose the fours in 3'' shells.

Little ducks or big ducks. They all fall to HS #6's.

What makes me sick to my stomach is losing cripples. One of these days I'll have time to acquire and properly train another dog. Until then I have to pick up my own birds. With HS I don't lose any birds. That's enough to relieve the headache for me of chasing crips.

Like DDS said on Pg 1, if I hunted 30-40 days year like I used to, I'd have to take out a loan to afford enough HS to last me all season. But I can buy a handful of boxes and be good for the season. Now that I'm a much better shooter than I once was, I can make 'em count.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Let me explain the $3 shell.

I quoted Willy. I know Willy shoots Hevi Shot. A box of 10 Hevi is 22-28$. Sorry, I rounded up.

I did pay $31 a box for 25 hevi steel in Kodiak. About kilt me. Spend thousands on a hunt, and.whine about a 31$ box of shells. Thats me.
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Hevi metal is in the 20-23 a box range... what is Kent fast steel? Hevi shot is 25+ for 10. Big difference.

Like someone said earlier, if you shoot them in the decoys it does not matter! Hevi shot does tear up the deeks more tho so arrange your spread accordingly.
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

I buy 2 3/4" kent for 11.99$ a box. By the case.
    I did find it for 10.99$ at bass pro last year.

I personally shot 57 ducks last year and used 4 boxes + 6. 106.
    Lets break this down:

If you shot Hevi Steel at 20$ a box, you spend $84

If you shot Hevi Shot at 22$ per 10, you spend $230

Kent at 12$ a box you spend..51$

My goodness that helps me. I drop 33$ at the tavern each night.

I am a tight ass. You Hevi shot shooters must be millionares.

PS: I'm sure my numbers are close, not exact. Doing quick math in my head.
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Default Hevi Metal: 4's or 6's?

Sprig, I'm with you. Makes total sense.

Edit: oh, and with you and RK out west next year I may need to buy stock in Kent. Y'all are gonna slay some birds I'll bet!
    Last edited by surfcock; 10-24-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Go with what works for ya I guess. HS works for me. I guess I'm not as good a shot as I think I am, cause I lost birds with steel and it infuriated me. Since I switched that problem vanished. I don't mind spending the extra dough to know when I do put pellets on target a bird dies. I know everyone who shoots ducks has done it: watched feathers fly off and witnessed the bird fly off. Or spent 30 minutes looking for that big fat mallard that went down. I don't chase birds anymore. That's just me. I love it and will never shoot steel again if I can help it.

Oh and a millionaire I am definitely not. Just have different priorities.
    Last edited by willyworm; 10-25-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft