Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hevi Metal: 4's or 6's?

Default Hevi Metal: 4's or 6's?

Thinking of trying Hevi Metal, just not sure about shot size. The shell itself is a duplex load with the Hevi Shot on top. I usually shoot 4's in steel. I've read somewhere (I think) that you can drop back two sizes with Hevi Shot and due to the density achieve the same down range energy. Anyone have experience with this product?
    Last edited by Shotunderit; 10-22-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

I've been shooting them for a couple of years. They hold a really good pattern out of a pure gold modified choke. Go with the #4s.

Waste of money...you can kill em just as dead with fiochi, Kent's, etc. Hit em in the face in the decoys and you don't need a bunch of fancy marketing to kill ducks.

Marsh Chicken just shut up.

If I'm not mistaken, a #4 Heavy Metal has half #4 steel and half #6 Heavy Shot.
    The Heavy Shot in each size is two sizes smaller in the shell.

And yes, they are worth the money TO ME.

Oh look, he doesn't have his feet down. I better not shoot him...

Exactly HS.

You people are funny...
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

3" 3's kill them. I agree you can kill ducks with steel, but your effective range of killing versus crippling is extended. This is beneficial when you have more than a few birds coming into the decoys.

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    And yes, they are worth the money TO ME.

if i hunted two or three times a week all season long, i would shoot the cheapest shit i could find.

if all i did was kill woodies in the swamp, i would shoot the cheapest shit i could find

if you are like me and only hunt a few times a season, usually on an out of state trip that i have already spent $500-$600 on, i will spend the extra money on some decent shells.

if nothing else its a confidence booster, but about two years ago i picked up a box of hevi metals on the way to louisiana and i really felt like i could tell the difference as far as less cripples and more stone dead ducks.

I like the twos because I occasionally kill a goose or ten but use the threes to smack woodrows.

I shot hevi metal #2s last year and they did good. Going to try 3 and 4s this season.

Rebates for them here

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Waste of money...you can kill em just as dead with fiochi, Kent's, etc. Hit em in the face in the decoys and you don't need a bunch of fancy marketing to kill ducks.
    X2, I don't mind shooting passing birds but he's right. The cheap stuff is just as good. Your paying for name. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Oh look, he doesn't have his feet down. I better not shoot him...
    Oh look I forgot to buy my hevimetal 3.5's. I better just pack it in and head back to the ramp bc everyone knows that you can't kill any ducks past 20 yards with regular steel.

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Marsh Chicken just shut up.
    Listen boner...I used to shoot hevi metal, black clouds, blindside, and all the other gimmicky bullshit. Do some shells pattern better than others? Absolutely, it all depends on the gun and choke. What I also noticed was that a lot of the guys who were shooting cheap shit killed just as many birds and didn't wound anymore ducks than the rest of us shooting high dollar shells. Patterning your gun to find the right combo of gun/choke/shell is important. So is knowing when to shoot, when to hold off, and practicing so you aren't wounding the shit out of birds. Hit them solid with a decent pattern at a decent range and you don't need to buy shells that cost 2x or 3x other shells.

But you seem to know something I don't. Fill me in on how much better hevi shot helps you kill birds...

Shitty golfers are always buying new putters, drivers, and golf balls. It ain't the equipment it's the joker swinging the club. Same thing applies for bad shots. It ain't the gun, it ain't the shells, it's the joker swinging the gun.

Oh look I forgot to buy my hevimetal 3.5's. I better just pack it in and head back to the ramp bc everyone knows that you can't kill any ducks past 20 yards with regular steel.
    What in the butt fuck? I shoot four inchers.

Listen boner...I used to shoot hevi metal, black clouds, blindside, and all the other gimmicky bullshit. Do some shells pattern better than others? Absolutely, it all depends on the gun and choke. What I also noticed was that a lot of the guys who were shooting cheap shit killed just as many birds and didn't wound anymore ducks than the rest of us shooting high dollar shells. Patterning your gun to find the right combo of gun/choke/shell is important. So is knowing when to shoot, when to hold off, and practicing so you aren't wounding the shit out of birds. Hit them solid with a decent pattern at a decent range and you don't need to buy shells that cost 2x or 3x other shells.

But you seem to know something I don't. Fill me in on how much better hevi shot helps you kill birds...

Shitty golfers are always buying new putters, drivers, and golf balls. It ain't the equipment it's the joker swinging the club. Same thing applies for bad shots. It ain't the gun, it ain't the shells, it's the joker swinging the gun.

I think I'd let you hunt with me...HS, not so much.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Oh shit. Are y'all making fun because I shoot hex shot, it has points and corners. A square shot keeps a pattern reliable.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 10-22-2013 at 12:31 PM.

I shoot kents because im cheap/broke i habe shot hevi metal and i could tell a difference in the shells. That being said i still shoot kents because of price.