Thread: This shows the true extent of out of control government spending

Default This shows the true extent of out of control government spending

The federal government is "shutdown" but 83% of spending is still running on autopilot. Disgusting.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/wheres...rticle/2536862

Where's sense of crisis in a 17 percent government shutdown?

By BYRON YORK | OCTOBER 5, 2013 AT 1:01 PM

Everyone knows the phrase "government shutdown" doesn't mean the entire U.S. government is shut down. So in a partial government shutdown, like the one underway at the moment, how much of the government is actually shut down, and how much is not?
    One way to measure that is in how much money the government spends. In a conversation Thursday, a Republican member of Congress mentioned that the military pay act, passed by Congress and signed by President Obama at the beginning of the shutdown, is actually a huge percentage of the government's discretionary spending in any given year. And that is still flowing. So if you took that money, and added it to all the entitlement spending that is unaffected by a shutdown, plus all the areas of spending that are exempted from a shutdown, and added it all together, how much of the federal government's total spending is still underway even though the government is technically shut down?
    I asked a Republican source on the Senate Budget Committee for an estimate. This was the answer: "Based on estimates drawn from CBO and OMB data, 83 percent of government operations will continue. This figure assumes that the government pays amounts due on appropriations obligated before the shutdown ($512 billion), spends $225 billion on exempted military and civilian personnel, pays entitlement benefits for those found eligible before the shutdown (about $2 trillion), and pays interest costs when due ($237 billion). This is about 83 percent of projected 2014 spending of $3.6 trillion."
    So the government shutdown, at least as measured by money spent, is really a 17 percent government shutdown. Perhaps that is why the effects of the shutdown, beyond some of the most visible problems, like at the monuments and memorials on the Washington Mall, don't seem to have the expected intensity. Seventeen percent of federal expenditures is still a huge amount of money, and the shutdown is affecting many people. But many more who are dependent on federal dollars are still receiving their money, either as salary, transfer payment, or in some other form. Viewed that way, it's no wonder both Republicans and Democrats appear to believe they can last the shutdown out, at least for a couple of weeks until they try to resolve the debt limit crisis due to arrive October 17.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Like that park ranger said, it came down from above for the rangers to make it as "inconvenient as possible on the public". This is all a farce done specifically make us suffer and to make government look more important than it is. Screw them!

Saw on the news that a bill was passed to pay all the folks that were sent home once they come back to work. My plant has been shut down one week a month for the last six months and nobody paid me. Working for the government sounds about like being in a union. Heck yeah, send me home for a couple of weeks in October and pay me for it. Just Dammit.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Sounds like an extra week of paid vacation. I told my neighbor this earlier in the week.

It is a joke. Shutdown only affects "non essential worker", and they will get paid when they go back to work. Ticks me off, if I don't work --I don't get paid. If I take a vacation--I don't get paid. Not to mention, why does gov have so many "non essential workers" anyway??

The "non-essential" government employees 'furloughed' due to the 'shutdown' ought to be required to use vacation time if they want to be paid. If not, it should be unpaid leave.

Sorry if that affects and upsets anyone here, but that's the way it works in the real world, and since government employees - on average - make 17% more than in the private sector, I have no compassion at this point... especially since lil' Baby Barry is intentionally trying to make it hurt as much as possible for as many as possible, which is unacceptable behavior on the part of our "Leader-in-Chief".

"Buck Ofama..."
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I am sure it has nothing to do with the idea that any government employee who goes home without pay will probably vote for anybody other than the asshole who sent him home without pay. Nothing but a bribe for a vote.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt