Thread: 'Gabby' NEEDS a new home soon!

Default 'Gabby' NEEDS a new home soon!

Please cross-post this or forward the information to anyone who you think might be interested in a new four-legged buddy.

The information below was sent to me by my hunting buddy, who until just recently was a counselor for the local VA Clinic.

He thought he had a new home lined up for Gabby down in Charleston, but the husband decided at the last minute that he wanted a puppy to train. Don't know the details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is Gabby, whose owner just died about 3 weeks ago.

He was a veteran that I had done some counseling for. He served in the Marine Corps during Vietnam and, as a result, was diagnosed with severe PTSD.

The first time I saw him, he was so fearful, he couldn't come in the building and we talked outside. After 6 months, he was able to come in to my office for 10-15 minutes. We gradually built up a relationship over the last 3-4 years. Part of his own therapy was to buy a dog, Gabby. He slept an average of 1-3 hours a night, often afraid to go to sleep due to the nightmares of Vietnam. He felt that having a companion during his long nights would help him, so Gabby came into his life. She is not a trained therapy dog, but she was HIS therapy dog.

She knew when he was at his most anxious and would come and comfort him. He could take her out on walks night and day. However, his wife didn't have much to do with her and she is also a Veteran. Due to his death, she will have to move into a basement apartment with her brother and there is no fence for this dog (Gabby). Their other dog is a beagle mix and this is her (the wife's) "therapy" dog and she can handle this one. She suffers from PTSD as well, along with several other problems and rarely can leave her home. Her husband was her protector and provider and with him gone her world has fallen apart. She can not drive due to her social anxiety and cannot afford the house that he bought her. She has her brother and a friend lined up to help her with grocery shopping, cooking, etc., but she doesn't feel she can handle her husband's dog.

Any help will be appreciated. She really does not want to send Gabby to the shelter, but is running out of options. Thank you for all you can
    do.

Ms. Ledford's number is 864-314-8454. She isn't able to take phone
    calls until after lunch.

Thanks.

Jim"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just posting this to help spread the word around SC, etc. I am not directly involved with the dog, but can help facilitate any communication with Jim and Ms. Ledford as needed. Please PM me for any private info, etc.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** If there are any concerns with my posting this, please advise and delete or move to appropriate forum.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

No luck for Gabby? It sounds like she'd make a great pet, if not a hunter.
    ~ George Washington

Email me that text and picture Woodie and I'll put it on our clinic's FB page.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Email me that text and picture Woodie and I'll put it on our clinic's FB page.
    Would be glad to and have it ready to go, but can't find your email addy on your web page. Please advise.

Thanks!
    ~ George Washington

Got dang it! Thanks. Didn't realize it wasn't on there.

pinestreetanimalhospital@gmail.com

Sorry man. I'll get it on there ASAP

Email on the way. Thanks!
    ~ George Washington