View Poll Results: Which do you agree with?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a bow hunter and approve the use of pods.

18 14.75%
  • I am a bow hunter and do not approve of pods.

73 59.84%
  • I hunt deer with guns and approve of pods.

9 7.38%
  • I hunt deer with guns and do not approve of pods.

22 18.03%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pod poll

Quote Originally Posted by Lynchmob View Post
    Based on what Trent was posting earlier this week, it is already legal on private land in SC. I haven't done any research to confirm or deby. Maybe DT is pushing legislation to make it illegal. Perhaps he actually wants to know what outdoorsment think before doing anything.
    They are Illegal everywhere, per Charles Ruth
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Bested by Tee. Just damn...

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Personally feel you ought to go back to being a gun bunny if you need to use pods. Just a personal opinion though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post
    Just because something isn't going to be used reasonably by some doesn't mean I shouldn't be trusted with it. This is the whole mentality of gun control advocates that we claim to hate so much.

I'd use 'em and I'd still extremely limit my shot selection guidelines based on my limitations with a bow (under 20 yards, broadside only, well lighted conditions).

I'm not a purist and I don't care who doesn't like the things in which I approve.
    I think the gun control thing is a bit of a stretch. However i do agree that some, sounds like yourself, would use them with their lethal limitations. However I think that you're opening a window for a new era of idiotic non sportsmen. Take a look at duck hunting in SC today. With all the super duper extended range shot shells and super chokes many think that if they see a duck they can shoot at it and kill it. Well that's not the case. Now don't think I'm saying all those thing should be illegal because that's not the point. The point is that something that was designed to be more lethal at an effective range is being misused. Thus resulting in sky busting and more crippled birds left to die. Same principle applies to the pods i think. I just think it would be abused by more people than would properly use it. It's usually the few that ruin it for the many. And for God sake if it ain't broke don't fix it!

First crossbows and now pods.

Lovely.

Yep, lets just eliminate the word hunting from the dictionary as it apparently has no place any more. Instead we could use the words:

Instant gratification
    Laziness
    Blood lust
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 09-18-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Some of y'all are idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    They are Illegal everywhere, per Charles Ruth
    I will say it again...if it was illegal....it sure was never enforced by gw's. I also do not believe most would have even had an opinion on the issue until the past couple of weeks. I have not looked it up, but just from what I have been told...why is it specified that they are illegal on public land with nothing about private property? Lawyers? I'd just like to know the legal reasoning behind that.

I shot them 20 years ago, when I started bowhunting at 14. The rednecks we hunted with thought that was the way to go. I used them to take bad shots, as I really didnt know any better. They work, but I was scared to death of them. I haven't seen one in a long time, but I'd bet I could dig around my dad's house and find one.
    Last edited by trkykilr; 09-18-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I would have had no opinion on the matter, and wouldnt have seen the harm in it until sprigdog spoke up on them the other week.

This lead slinger voted in my appropriate toggle point
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Yep, lets just eliminate the word hunting from the dictionary as it apparently has no place any more. Instead we could use the words:

Instant gratification
    Laziness
    Blood lust
    Lab, this isn't meant to flame you. Honest.

I'm no purist. But I just want to point out that if I remember correctly, you shot two jakes over your chufa patch in April.

I have no problem with that. But wouldn't a great many turkey hunters consider that "instant gratification, laziness, and blood lust?"

I've never had the pleasure of hunting gobblers over chufas, wheat, or oats, etc...but several turkey poets I know think it is as close to a slam dunk as you can get legally in SC.

Now, I reiterate...I'm no poet. But I am for a safe, quick, and humane kill. So power to you in your chufa jake killing.

I'm against defining what "a real hunter" uses as tactics or a weapon if its legal where he hunts. I have my own shortcomings and am "handicapped" in many ways* and need advantages in the woods over my quarry. I am not in competition with anyone but that quarry. I feel no need to judge other hunters. One of the smartest thing BigTimber2 ever wrote was we as hunters are NOT in competition with each other.** If we think we are, we've missed the point of the woods and water all together and are bound to be purse-lipped prudes who act like our shorts are too tight.

* handicaps: I'm geographically retarded and could get lost in a phone booth even with a GPS. I'm completely deaf in one ear and cannot tell the direction of sound. Even thunder. Even with my glasses I have to look and look and look to see game.

** we are in competition to a certain extent on public land; hence, why I hate publicly posting information. But...I have no doubt anyone with moderate hunt savvy and was free from my "handicaps" could do better with "my" WMA spots.
    Tell me sump'n. Why you askin' so many jackassy questions?

I was curious what a poll would show since there is a possibility the issue could arise in the legislature. I doubt anyone could pass legislation to make this illegal, if it is illegal now. I have a call in to get clarification. At a minimum I want the public to know the law.

My limited bow hunting was with a recurve. My brother hunts with a recurve and hand knapped arrows. My sons hunt trophy bucks or does with a compound. Wounding and or not finding deer has been an issue. No pods in my house.

When lead was made illegal we were forced to use steel. The waterfowl industry switched to 3.5 inches to try and regain our previous lethal distances. Now we have heavyshot, supersonic steel, and 3.5 inch chambers. None of these changes was so we could wound more. Our goal has always been to retrieve the duck.

There will always be an effective range with any weapon and those who will push the limits. I am trying to understand why a pod is unethical if it actually increases retrieval of the deer. I admit, it seems a bit weird but unethical???

Is it more ethical for a deer to die a slow death or not be found?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    This was my take when the issue came up the other day.

Again, sprig dog and sprig dog alone changed my opinion when he talked about hail mary's.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Sprigdog is a loser. Don't listen to him.

I've hunted with sprigdog several times, and consider him a friend.

I dont hunt twice with folks I consider losers. He is quite possibly one of the most accomplished killers on this forum.

Bow Hunters are in self destruct mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I am trying to understand why a pod is unethical if it actually increases retrieval of the deer. I admit, it seems a bit weird but unethical???

You're going to have to show me hard data that it increases recovery and not just Hey Bo's observational data cuz his cousin Cooter and cronies have used them for years.

They guys I have known that used them were all outlaws. Roughians of the worst sort and no one you would want to be associated with much less hunt with. That put a bad taste in my mouth over the issue and I've not met anyone or heard any arguments in 30+ years of bowhunting to change my mind.

I remember twenty years ago when most people only hunted with bows around here was because they got to hunt two weeks earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    This was my take when the issue came up the other day.

Again, sprig dog and sprig dog alone changed my opinion when he talked about hail mary's.
    I just don't believe you can let ones misuse of a weapon change your opinion on the weapon..on the person...but not the weapon.

It stops becoming a weapon when all you need is a scratch to kill.

You stop making proper placement. You start relying on it as a crutch. All you have to do is scratch the animal. It doesnt sound but one step above using a spot light to kill deer.

But, I will freely admit I am on the outside looking in....because I am a "lead slinger". If an argument can be made to support pods for archery, then you injun wannabe's best start hunting the regular seasons with us lead slingers.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El56LobK7_g[/ame]
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013