Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SC Poachers busted in CO

Default SC Poachers busted in CO

The Associated Press

GRAND JUNCTION, COLO. — One of four South Carolina men who used poison arrows to hunt and paralyze deer, elk and bears admitted using the banned equipment in Colorado for at least 20 years before he pleaded guilty Tuesday to a variety of wildlife charges, including illegal taking of wildlife and illegal use of toxins in hunting.

George Plummer of Timmonsville, S.C., told authorities after his arrest Saturday that he'd been returning to the same leased cabin, just east of Collbran, and using the arrows since the late-1980s, according to Michael Blanck, District Wildlife Manager.

Animals were targeted with arrows poisoned with a powerful muscle relaxant that caused paralysis, while shutting down an animal's respiratory system within seconds of a strike, authorities said.

Plummer and the others — Joseph Nevling, also of Timmonsville, Michael Courtney of Florence, S.C., and James Cole of Sumter, S.C. — all were ordered to pay several thousands of dollars in fines and court costs. The men also agreed not to hunt in Colorado over the next four years.

"It's hard to say how many animals they've taken illegally," state wildlife investigator Rich Antonio told Judge Arthur Smith on Tuesday.

Under a wildlife interstate compact, the men could be banned from hunting in 38 other states, including South Carolina, Blanck said.

Each of the men received individual lectures from the judge Tuesday.

"You ought to be ashamed of yourself," Smith told Nevling. "This isn't hunting. This is just going out and killing things."

A few of the men expressed regret, but one offered a defense of the practice, the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel reported Wednesday (http://tinyurl.com/oxgtfqa).

"Back in South Carolina, everybody hunts with (poison arrows)," Cole said. He described the equipment as an "insurance policy" that works for catching any game after a license is purchased.

The judge said it's the responsibility of hunters to know the laws where they hunt. Aside from being illegal in Colorado, archery hunting using poison arrows violates principles of "fair chase," Blanck said.

Plummer and his hunting activities in Colorado had been under investigation for nearly two years, which started with a tip from another hunter. This year, Plummer's group was under surveillance since shortly after they arrived around Aug. 31, which marked the start of hunting season, Blanck said.

A search of the area turned up coolers that contained meat from recent kills.

Information from: The Daily Sentinel, http://www.gjsentinel.com

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2013/09/11/2...#storylink=cpy

How many folks opened this knowing there was at least one from Sumter?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

pathetic, and a black eye for the South Carolina Hunter.

Oh, and +10 for Turbo... :snicker:

Isn't that the damn truth...

I mean, don't all bow hunters use poison arrows? Glad they caught them, no matter where they are from.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    That was my first thought.

What a bastard he is too..."everyone in SC hunts with poisoned arrows". Isn't there a jcole on here?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

"Back in South Carolina, everybody hunts with (poison arrows)," Cole said. He described the equipment as an "insurance policy" that works for catching any game after a license is purchased.

Where the hell did he get this impression? Has anyone ever met someone who used poisoned arrows in SC?

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post

Where the hell did he get this impression? Has anyone ever met someone who used poisoned arrows in SC?
    What an insane statement. I don't know of anyone that does. This makes SC look bad.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    LMAO...... guilty as charged

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post

I know 7 or 8 guys that use pods. Maybe it's just a local thing.
    PS- I do not use them and never have.

I don't believe I would eat the meat that I shot with a poisoned arrow.

Other than being against the law, What is wrong with a poison arrow? If it kills the game with in moments of impact this prevents an animal from suffering and wasting away if the animal was poorly hit in, say the gut. It is more "humane" than an animal suffering to death.

Select tribes around the world use poison darts for hunting, hence the poison dart frog.

only folks i know of that use them are the the indigenous indians in the Amazon. That isnt in Sumter i dont think.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Using a poison arrow is perfectly legal here in SC. It is not legal in CO and none of them(i don't think) realized that.

Quote Originally Posted by ESSO82 View Post
    I don't believe I would eat the meat that I shot with a poisoned arrow.

It's totally safe. If it weren't then I know a lot of people that would be dead.

I use poison Lead arrows. They seem to work better for me rather than using a pointed stick!

Seriously I would have never even thought to use poison on an arrow! That's just GAY!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

ive never really heard of anyone using poisioned arrows around here. that shit would be the trick for a turkey tho. wouldnt have to worry about wounding one up and loosing it.

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    I use poison Lead arrows. They seem to work better for me rather than using a pointed stick!

Seriously I would have never even thought to use poison on an arrow! That's just GAY!

First i've heard of poison arrows...course I hunt with a rifle. I too would wonder if there's any chance the meat would be contanimated. Hell, with my luck, I end up poisoning my self.

That's where TSS comes in
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Using a poison arrow is perfectly legal here in SC. It is not legal in CO and none of them(i don't think) realized that.
    Are you sure about that? I seem to think that you're wrong.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold