Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Late season dates and limits

Default Late season dates and limits

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/yr2013/aug22/aug22_late.html

DUCKS (Excluding Sea Ducks) - Open Dates (All Dates Inclusive): Nov. 23--Dec. 1; Dec. 7--Jan. 26 - Hunting hours: 1/2 Hour before Sunrise until Sunset - Bag limit: 6 total, including no more than 4 mallards (2 hens), 2 pintails, 1 fulvous whistling duck, 1 black-bellied whistling duck, 3 wood ducks, 2 redheads, 2 canvasbacks, 2 scaup and either 1 black duck or 1 mottled duck. - Possession limit: 18 total, including no more than 12 mallards (6 hens), 6 pintails, 3 fulvous whistling ducks, 3 black-bellied whistling ducks, 9 wood ducks, 6 redheads, 6 canvasbacks, 6 scaup and any combination of 3 total for mottled ducks and/or black ducks.

MERGANSERS - Open Dates (All Dates Inclusive): Nov. 23--Dec. 1; Dec. 7--Jan. 26 - Hunting hours: 1/2 Hour before Sunrise until Sunset - Bag limit: 5 (not to include more than 1 Hooded Merganser) - Possession limit: 15 (not to include more than 3 Hooded Mergansers).

SEA DUCKS (eiders, scoters, long-tailed ducks) - Open Dates (All Dates Inclusive): Oct. 12--Jan. 26 - Hunting hours: 1/2 Hour before Sunrise until Sunset - Bag limit: 7 (Not to include more than 4 scoters) - Possession limit: 21 (Not to include more than 12 scoters) -- Sea ducks taken outside of the regular duck season may be hunted only in Atlantic Ocean waters separated from any shore, island or emergent vegetation by at least one mile of open water. COOTS - Open Dates (All Dates Inclusive): Nov. 23--Dec. 1; Dec. 7--Jan. 26 - Hunting hours: 1/2 Hour before Sunrise until Sunset - Bag limit: 15 - Possession limit: 45.

CANADA GEESE/WHITE FRONTED GEESE (Late Seasons) - Open Dates (All Dates Inclusive): Nov. 23--Dec. 1; Dec. 7—Jan. 26, Feb. 6—Feb. 15- Hunting hours: 1/2 Hour before Sunrise until Sunset - Bag limit: 5 (not to include more than 2 white-fronted geese) - Possession limit: 15 (not to include more than 6 white-fronted geese). This excludes all of Clarendon County, that portion of Orangeburg County north of SC Highway 6 and that portion of Berkeley County north of SC Highway 45 from the Orangeburg County line to the junction of SC Highway 45 and State Road S-8-31 and that portion west of the Santee Dam.

BLUE and SNOW GEESE - Open Dates (All Dates Inclusive): Nov. 23--Dec. 1; Dec. 7—Jan. 26 - Hunting hours: 1/2 Hour before Sunrise until Sunset - Bag limit: 25 - Possession limit: No limit.

BRANT - Open Dates (All Dates Inclusive): Dec. 28—Jan. 26 - Hunting hours: 1/2 Hour before Sunrise until Sunset - Bag limit: 2 - Possession limit: 6.

There is no open season on harlequin ducks.

Nov. 16, 2013 and Feb. 1, 2014 are Federal Youth Days. Only hunters 15 years of age or younger may hunt waterfowl (ducks and geese) on these days. The youth(s) must be accompanied by an adult of at least 18 years of age. The adult is not allowed to carry a gun or hunt, and does not have to be licensed. The regular duck season limits apply.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 08-23-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Fixed the possession limit on pintails
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Possession limit change is great but I miss my extra bluebills already
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

Possession limit will make you not have to eat so many ducks on out of state trips
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by mudeagle View Post
    Possession limit change is great but I miss my extra bluebills already
    Duck kabobs,duck jerky,duck gumbo,duck samwich,duck kabobs,duck jerky,duck paninis,and a big ass plate of walleye........

why is the possession limit 4 pintails instead of 6? is this a typo? if so 2 govt bureaucrats should get fired for each missing pintail.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Why hasn't SC gone to 2 Hooded Mergansers?
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

I thought usually there was a 2 week break between the seasons.
    867-5309

are you complaining?

What is this duck hunting in SC you speak of??

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    are you complaining?
    Yea cause thats the weekend I swap call with fellas at work so im not on call during the season but once
    867-5309

Can someone please explain to me why SC is consistently the only state in the union that continuously shorts the limit contrary to the USFWS framework?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Look at the youth days. We usually have a day during the split in the first of December and two federal days after the second season. This year it has changed. We went from a total of three days to two.

Youth day should be every day, IMHO.

The burning question is:

Why does SC have two scaup, and the framework recommended 4?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I'll take it! Now to figure out a good late season destination for Green Wings and Shovelers. I don't have pictures of Daisy retrieving either species.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    I'll take it! Now to figure out a good late season destination for Green Wings and Shovelers. I don't have pictures of Daisy retrieving either species.
    That should be easy if you know what I mean.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Here's the short answer to the questions...

The federal framework closes the season on the last Sunday in January and Thanksgiving is a moving target (the fourth Thursday in November). Because of the calendar 2 out of every 7 years will have a short (5 day) break the other 5 years there will be a 12-day break. We are in one of those two years with a short break. Next year will be that way too.

The Federal framework offers two youth days. Until last year, those two youth days had to be consecutive. They've always had to be offered on days when school was not in session. Since the two youth days couldn't be split, it was not possible to offer a early and post-season youth day so the then Chairman of the DNR got the idea for a 'State' youth day where one of the 60 days of the regular season would be used as a youth day. Up until this year, that state youth day was scheduled on the Saturday during the break. However, because of the calendar forces a 5-day break, there is no Saturday in the break so the second youth day (now also a Federal youth day) had to be scheduled the Saturday prior to the opening of the Thanksgiving season.

I'm really not sure about the possession limit on pintails.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Why does SC have two scaup, and the framework recommended 4?
    The framework for the Atlantic flyway only offered 2. I think the Central and Mississippi flyways are allowed 3 and the Pacific has a shortened season on scaup.

When did it change? I saw it come out a couple months ago, and the scaup and teal were the two critters I looked for specifically.

I really hope I am not disremembering...

Hooded Mergansers?

And Relentous get over it

I am disremembering.

Shit.

I am slightly embarrassed, now.

Carry on.