Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SxS or O/U?

Default SxS or O/U?

In your honest opinion which is a better gun for fowl?

Not that it's better but a sxs is as pretty as they come IMO.

Neither. I own both. The only time I take one is when I hunt alone. NEVER in a blind or a boat with your friends. You need a lot of room to load and unload one so it is difficult to obey the 1st rule of gun safety. By yourself in a wood duck hole or when folks are spread out is not a problem as long as you are aware of your surroundings.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

Serious shooters will tell you that its better to sight down the single barrell. The side by is the classier gun.

O/U. Hands down.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

If you decide you want an O/U i got one you can buy
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Keep it classy

Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

o/u far better sight plan

Either one changes the experience. But, you're more likely to find a O/U that shoots steel than a SxS.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I shoot both, but that juking left and right trying to line up the barrels on a side by side gets testy to say the least.

O/U for me except for rabbit / squirrel hunting. Thats when I break out the Fox or winchester S/S.
    Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium. -

I prefer liberty with danger, to peace with slavery.

SxS and has to be double triggers. there is no jukin for right and left, they supposed to shoot to same POA. the POA is dependant on yardage by choke. a full/mod gun hits at 30-40 yds and a mod/ IC gun hits at 25-35 yds
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 08-10-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Surely you jest. How do keep in line if you have a HiViz on each barrel?

I've been told that sxs is better suited for ground game like rabbits and deer and o/u is better for wingshooting. Not really sure I buy that.

The sight plain shouldn't really be an issue because you're not supposed to look at the barrel, however a sxs can block more of you view of a rising target.

I have a couple 20 gauges, one sxs and one o/u, that are about as identical as they can be except for the barrel orientation. I find the sxs balances more toward the muzzle and the o/u more centered between the hands. I have a hard time with the sxs at sporting clays but that's mostly because it feels so unfamiliar that it's distracting.

The good Lord intended that barrels should lie along side each other. To lay atop one another is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord.

Did you ever read of Nash Buckingham and his trusty Superposed? Did Havilah Babcok shoot a Citori? Nay, only those who shoot the inedible clay target preach the gospel of the stackbarrel heresy.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Marsh View Post

The good Lord intended that barrels should lie along side each other. To lay atop one another is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord.

Did you ever read of Nash Buckingham and his trusty Superposed? Did Havilah Babcok shoot a Citori? Nay, only those who shoot the inedible clay target preach the gospel of the stackbarrel heresy.
    That's just classy right there. For me it depends on the mood.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Over/Under without a doubt. That is why serious shotgunners prefer on over/under.

Salt Marsh, I must say that I was very entertained by the first two sentences of your post and I enjoyed the pictures. I don't have a side by side, but that's because I haven't run into one that I like at a reasonable price.

I haven't been shooting well lately, so it doesn't really matter what kind of gun I'm holding, but I do have a couple of points that might add to this discussion.

1 - Perazzi MX shotguns are mighty fine. They also make some nice side by side game guns if you're inclined.

2 - I can see everything coming from below my gun, no matter what and regardless of whether I hit it or not. I don't understand how some people cannot do the same.

Also, if you're having a problem seeing the bird because of the barrels, your head is too far down into the stock or you're making excuses for poor shooting.

3 - Looking at the target without looking at the barrel and/or the bird barrel relationship is difficult. I've missed more than my share lately because of it and when I check the barrel, you can mark it down as a miss every time.

4 - Shoot what you have confidence in and practice as much as you can afford at your local sporting clays course.
    Last edited by Fish; 08-11-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Fish - perhaps when the hen tides occur in September, you should put a svelte 28 gauge number in your hands. So thin and sexy, with just a hint of red highlights in her stock. You could take in your hands and reach out and destroy some clappers.

Nothing like a sure thing to build up a man's confidence, after a string of birds where all you hear is "Lets just be friends" as they fly off.

Gander - I agree that when it comes the mechanics of hitting what you shoot at, the stack barrel gun allows you to wring the last possible little bit of advantage out of the mechanics of "shooting flying."

But I have never raised a glass of fine bourbon or taken slug of tawny port to the memory of clay pigeon being smashed to alabama talcum powder. I have yet to read single moving description of a sun rise over a trap range as you wait for the targets to arrive. For me it is the totality of experience. In my heart and soul, I would rather add memories of those who have gone before me to my hunt by shooting a double than to add one more bird shooting by an over and under.

Hell - I wonder what I would saying in this thread if my Grandfather had shot an A-5?
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

This conversation is so much more classy than the semi-auto or pump discussions. I will withhold my opinion because I merely own one o/u, and it's my first. Plus, I'm no expert with it by any stretch of the imagination.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft