Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 01/15/08

we've had this discussion before.
    Its not rocket science to decifer between the 3.

Black

Mottled

Mallard/Black Hybrid
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Huntlab's duck is a black.
    Note the splotchy throat of his bird.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Mr. Knows It,

Please explain the white bar on the Greater Coverts on the duck on the right in the 2nd pic and how it can be determined that would make it a Mottled. There isn't a Mottled in the world or a Black for that matter that has the white bar above the Secondaries on the Greater Coverts.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

I have seen mottleds and blacks with white along the bottom.
    Never along the top, as i stated in my initial post, the wings are the kicker.
    I didn't hold the bird and the picture is shitty for examination purposes.
    I would agree with Cat, that being they came from the upper Pee Dee basin, they are likely hybrid black/mallards.

Contrary to popular belief a true black CAN have a faint light bar on the bottom of the spec.
    The feather design and "look" of a buff throat is what made me think mottled.
    Blacks and mottled have different feather patterns as shown in my pics above.

It is better to be quiet and thought a fool than to speak and prove it!
    An average hunt becomes great with a good dog

Nice pic SW! While I agree that the colors can vary, that is a really good picture for this topic.

Nice picture SW. Note the difference in the feathers between the middle and right birds. Also the color of the spec is blue green with white bar on the right bird. Any guess as to what they are? I've only been hunting for a few years and may not be able to tell the difference. Bob

Hen Mallard, Black, Mottled

d-rake mallet,black,hybrid....actually.
    Sportin, did you ever mount them?

[img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img] It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell the difference?

Thanks for calling me out on the mallard Bog...hope y'all blasted 'em this morning. What makes you say hybrid in the third pic?

Jay, SW has posted that pic here before.
    And we were close but not quite on em.

heres another reference pic. this was actually my first black duck ever(taken in Mich). now i'm hoping for a mottled in SC, then i'll be about done with them all.

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.