Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ever been stung by a stingray?

Default ever been stung by a stingray?

well...i am sure I have in the past...but the most recent one certainly was memorable....

So, the weather was spotty. Showers off and on. Only had a few chances to fish and going out in the boat would've been tough. We spent a lot of time drowning fiddlers off the dock but the sheepshead cooperated well enough. I had 5 kids fishing with me. My three have done it enough times that they dont need me much any more. Granted, my daughter doesnt like a male fiddler but the other two kids were learning quickly. One of them catches a small ray. I go over to help out and see that the hook is waaay out in the "nose" of the fish so I think I can get the hook out quickly and get back to fishing. WRONG. I grabbed the circle hook and started to turn it so it would come out and WHAM that MFer did a 180 with his tail and popped me right in the wrist. It just so happens that I had torn the cartilage in this same wrist and had a cortisone shot in it on 6/24. I just started getting better when that bastard popped me less than a centimeter from where I had just gotten the shot. So, i am pissed. I get the hook out and a little blood is coming out of my wrist. No biggie. Hell, my fingers and hands are all cut up from fishing, catching bait, etc....I will live.

Well, i sit down and grab a beer to hold against my wrist. It starts to really ache. The other dad I am with starts talking about the 'poison" in the sting. I told him to shut up and fish. I dont have any poison in me.

WRONG AGAIN.

Within about five minutes, I am feeling odd. I have to sit down. One of my boys hooks into a NICE sheep and I cant come to his rescue. The other dad runs over and grabs the rod tip to help my son get the fish out from under the dock and snaps my rod in half. I didnt even get pissed. I knew something was wrong at that point.

So, I am sitting on this island...wondering if I should go see a doctor. I dont go to doctors, so we googled it. A few minutes later and my entire forearm is hurting like hell and I am hustling back to the house to submerge my arm in HOT water (per google). It helped. Over the next 90 minutes, I have my entire arm in buckets of hot water.....as hot as you can stand. I am still dizzy and nauseous but no shortness of breath or other symptoms that might've led me to the ER. Once the pain in the arm went away, the other physical symptoms started to subside. I had a "hangover" later with a headache and some malaise.

So, 48 hours later, I have a swollen, black and blue wrist with a clear exudate still leaking from the small puncture wound.

I reckon its too late for the doctor now and I am pissed that my hurt wrist was getting so much better until this little mishap.

Oh well. Such is life. This public service message brought to you by someone who didnt think stingrays carried poison.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

While I was working EMS on Edisto I kept a 5 gallon bucket onboard for just that situation, "Stingray stings".

Fill the bucket up with as hot of water as they can stand then tote them to Charleston to a hospital. Unless they didnt want to go.

hot water can be your best friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

Dumbass!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

I have similar experiences when I go to the dentist...

Steve Irwin did.......... once.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Sorry to hear, 2fer...

Out of curiosity -- what would a medical facility do for a stingray puncture wound?

Put it in hot water and give you a $1500 bill. Just a guess...
    Pat Condon
    "Carla Dee"

Shot of Antibiotics....if you have inshance
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by breadandbobbers View Post
    Put it in hot water and give you a $1500 bill. Just a guess...
    I'll bet you're 100% correct.

Maybe a bottle of pills to "help with the pain".
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Yeah, always cut the line.

That sucks.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

its not the puncture wound that got me. it was the "poison." I am rarely impressed but this one impressed me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Yeah, always cut the line.

That sucks.
    yeah....but the hook was easy to get out and I had 5 kids and all hell was breaking loose around me. It was "easier" my way....

WRONG AGAIN

Be glad you didn't step on it and the barb came off in your foot. Trust me on this un.

Hope you gonna be alright 2th
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Hey 2th

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    its not the puncture wound that got me. it was the "poison." I am rarely impressed but this one impressed me.
    Yeah...I didn't mean the "hole" was the problem; I was inferring that's how the toxin got into your skin.

By the way,

Part of the fun with a sting ray, is their "barb" splinters and breaks off upon puncture. I am sure you didn't inspect his "stinger" to make sure it didn't break off, but I promise if it did, you will continue to have problems.

Go get that shit checked out. Hate to have to call you Captain Hook in a few months.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Yep, thats what I was talkin about. Broke off in the bottom of the foot
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Your supposed to beat them with a paddle a few times, then hold the tail down with said paddle, cut the tail off and then finally retrieve your hook. Keep this in mind.

Screw a stingray. I had a saltwater catfish knock me out like Mike Tyson when I ran his barb in my thumb. Henceforth, all stinger equipped critters get a line cutting. I have plenty of hooks...

Puss.....
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.