Thread: Just about finished with beginners first rig...

Default Just about finished with beginners first rig...

Slowly finishing up my project of building my first rig. Only issues I have now..1. waiting to get my registration crap back from DNR(3 weeks and still nothing). 2. I need to build a ballast box for lights cause weight on front end is little heavy for the 1542 Tracker. 2 people can fish front I know...haven't had 4 up there yet to test it out.

Additions-
    1. platform is 5'x6' and is made out of 3/4" square tubing and 16 guage expanded metal.
    2. Lights are 400 watt High Pressure Sodium
    3. Genny- 4000/3500 running watt
    4. 55# minn kota trolling motor
    5. have a converter to run to battery to keep battery charged while running troller.
    6. Ran single power cable to junction box, then parrelled off to the lights. Installed 3 different toggle switches for lights, incase one quits working, I can flip switch off to save ignitor and keep on fishing.

I still have few things I want to change, and need to cut my weight down a little from front. Hopefully ballast box will help cut out about 70 pounds.

Note***Before the trash talk starts!! I'm not from GA and the guy I got the bought from put all the frat boy stickers on! Just haven't gotten my new registration information back yet from DNR.

front_view_of_platform.jpg

junction box on boat.jpg

platform_1.jpg

side view of light.jpg

side_view_pic_of_platform.jpg

Raise the deck and place the lights under. This cuts down on glare and keeps lines from getting tangled in lights. The first time you burn you're shin on the lights you will move them. Everything looks well put together otherwise.

I wanted a raised deck truthfully. Only reason I didn't make it raised is because the size of the boat. Being its a smAller/narrow boat, I was worried about the center of gravity getting extremely wobbly. Thanks though man. I may end up raising it in future, just to test out.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

A lot of people pick up plastic tool boxes for ballast boxes. Quick and easy and cheap. Being a 1542 be careful with 4 on it. It will do it but things will change as you add fish. A 55 gallon drum of fish is reeaall heavy. Go get after em and post pics of dead stuff.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

two things you will find that you will not like. first of all the expanded metal will be tiring to stand on and second you want to be high the higher you are the better you can see and you want your lights under the platform to help keep down on the glare. those are just my thoughts as i am hang my second platform built this week.
    For nothing will be impossible with CHRIST Luke 1:37