Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer flyfishing on the Chattooga

Default Summer flyfishing on the Chattooga

I have never been up there during summer months. I am camping/flyfishing next weekend. I know concentrating on the deeper pools and under/around overhangs will most likely hold fish in the heat. What type of flies do you throw this time of year? A variety of wet flies are what I have packed.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

cant go wrong with a telico or olive wooly bogger

Japanese beetle w/green copper john(legged) as a dropper was killer this past weekend. take a few beetle and inch worm patterns as well.
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

Sourwood worms...

These have been productive on larger fish on the tooger:

At least I'm housebroken.

go to the chattooga river fly shop. Karl Ekberg will set you up. It's on hwy 28 in Mountain Rest.

Karl is the bomb. That said, Luthi's ain't no slouch!

Fishing was good. Caught around 20 rainbows, most were released, others made nice camp fire food.
    Last edited by 803; 06-30-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

Filet and Release?

I miss the toog...

Quote Originally Posted by Moatsy View Post
    I miss the toog...
    X2
    I haven't been up there in 7 years. Use to take a week long trip every year but I just haven't had the time to make it back up there. We would start at Burrels Ford and hike up river. Nice Browns!
    867-5309

It's been years. My favorite spots up there are hike-in and we'd spend days...
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    X2
    I haven't been up there in 7 years. Use to take a week long trip every year but I just haven't had the time to make it back up there. We would start at Burrels Ford and hike up river. Nice Browns!
    That is same route we took.

Many moons ago we used to leave one truck at BF and drive another into NC and fish back down. Good trip.

I'm trying to get into fly fishing. I am going to head to the fly shop in Mountain Rest this Saturday and try to learn somethings. Is there a best time to fish on the Chattooga?

Quote Originally Posted by CUducks648 View Post
    I'm trying to get into fly fishing. I am going to head to the fly shop in Mountain Rest this Saturday and try to learn somethings. Is there a best time to fish on the Chattooga?
    A week after they release them....

Pressure gets pretty heavy on them in the fall, but then again they seem to be really active during that time. Find some calm deeper pools this time of year and you should be able to catch them.

Alright thanks for the info! Can't wait to get up there and try it out! I'm just scared I might get addicted to it like duck hunting!

Also what is a deep pool ? 4-5 ft?

there are some pools in the Chattooga that you can't get to the bottom of. On that river the deep pools are 4-12 ft deep. Don't overlook the redeye bass fishery on the lower sections if the upper trout sections aren't producing... With a little research you can find trails that access section IV and you can have fun catching the red eyes and smallmouth by yourself

Damn i gotta get up there. Work Sucks!!!!!!
    867-5309