Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: My Xpress project (long read)

Gotcha...how many rpms you turning with the 19 pitch?

I hit 45 one day turning that black stainless 6100 rpm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Gotcha. My buddy just ordered a 19 pitch nrs3 from powertech for his 70. I am hoping it will be just right for duck hunting?! His hull is a hyperlift.

Hard to say, I'm not familiar with those bow lifting props. Sheep, JoeKrasko and a few others on here have Hyperlifts, they might be able to give him some insight.
    Last edited by willyworm; 04-23-2016 at 08:06 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Mine likes the 17 trophy plus the best so far... I think it just needs some slight adjustment from Croxton or someone and it will be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Speaking of the devil.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We tried the black stainless 19 pitch. Obviously it didn't lift the bow but it ran 40mph with 3 people in the boat and 45 with one person. Hopefully it can turn that nrs3 19 pitch. It has 25 degrees of rake and some cup. Went ahead and ordered it ported.

Nice. That hyperlift needs a prop that'll get it up on that pad and roll. There's a fella that has one of the new HL hulls and on the Craigslist post he said it'll run 55 and I don't doubt it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Nice. That hyperlift needs a prop that'll get it up on that pad and roll. There's a fella that has one of the new HL hulls and on the Craigslist post he said it'll run 55 and I don't doubt it.
    Thats the boat. My buddy just bought it. The guy sold his props before he sold the boat. So we are starting from square one with props.

Gotcha, yeah that was a nice one!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Miles what are you gonna do with the other jack plate? You gonna sell it or keep it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not selling it. It's going on a hi tide I'm working on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

10-4 That works! Should have my motor soon, then its a matter of going to pick up the boat and find me a engine jack to help place the motor then I'll be ready for the water.

I drilled a pilot hole into a cross beam in the ceiling of my garage, then sank an eyebolt in it. I attach a come along winch to the eyebolt to hang up my motors while I'm mounting them. Just an option to consider if you can't drum up a engine lift. It's a $1.50 piece of stainless hardware, I never lose it and my friends never ask to borrow it.

I've also used a stout winch strap if you don't have a come along.

But that Vance Manufacturing manual plate is a good one. I like it because you only turn one bolt to raise/lower the motor, instead of one on each side like many others. A hard to beat plate for less than $200.
    Last edited by willyworm; 04-24-2016 at 08:29 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So it's been a while since I did anything with the boat other than a couple half day fishing trips and a couple rides through Sparkleberry Swamp. I've been a bit preoccupied with the recent move.

As duck season approaches I wanted to do the one major mod I haven't done yet, which is advance the timing. I'm pretty sure the motor has some more hp in there I simply haven't unleashed. Wanted to ask some of the resident experts first.

How many degrees should I advance the timing given the mods I've done thus far (shaved head to 160+ psi compression, ccm reeds, 70 carb jets, e3 plugs)? I have zero experience with advancing timing on a 2 stroke. Most other mods were simple enough but this timing thing perplexes me.

Any words of wisdom?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also I've been pondering if the motor would benefit from 90 jets instead of the 70 stock jets.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Are you just throwing jets in there with the same Venturi carbs? Reading your plugs after a wot shutoff is the only way to tell if you're getting the right mix. Or pulling the head and reading piston wash

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Are you just throwing jets in there with the same Venturi carbs? Reading your plugs after a wot shutoff is the only way to tell if you're getting the right mix. Or pulling the head and reading piston wash
    Essentially, yes. Is that a bad idea? Is there something I should be doing? I thought they were Keihin though. Excuse my ignorance I'm just not familiar with the term Venturi, so elaborate. I did the WOT thing once last year and this what it looked like. Not sure how to interpret the result and the proper action to take.

Note that I don't run conventional 2 stroke oil, I switched to Royal Purple synthetic. Funny thing about the RP is you can't tell when the gas is mixed. It doesn't have the typical blue hue. It looks exactly the same after you put the mixing oil in as it does without it. You have experience with it GS? I've been wondering if I should adjust my mix ratio. In theory I'd think I wouldn't need to mix at the typical 50:1 ratio if I'm getting adequate lubrication using less oil.

Not sure if the RP oil would affect how the plug should look.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-14-2016 at 12:01 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Google Venturi, its a term. But you should jet according to your plug readings. You match jet size with airflow, if you can't flow more air then you're not benefitting by adding more fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Google Venturi, its a term. But you should jet according to your plug readings. You match jet size with airflow, if you can't flow more air then you're not benefitting by adding more fuel.
    I did after I wrote that post. I get it now.

But I removed the air guard and have a reed plate I'm working on smoothing the edges off of. I'm hoping that'll allow for an increased airflow and justify pushing more fuel in.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-14-2016 at 12:27 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]