Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IT Admin

Default IT Admin

Take two. I have an organization with a single AD forest, multiple AD domains, multiple sites. Trying to figure out best practice for 2010 Exchange server role placement. Want to implement DAG. Have 4 servers for the task, two per location, more if needed.
    Last edited by everlast; 06-06-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Sorry, I don't speak geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

so whats the question?

preciate the link.

the question is basically if I have two locations and want to do single role servers, where would it be best to place each of the single role servers and in what combinations if any. ie mailbox servers at each location with cas and hub (possibly combined) at main site, or easier to do a single multi-role server at each site. I'm reading thru MS recommendations, it just takes a while to assimilate all the info and apply it to this scenario, plus trying to design for future growth and have high availability using either Dag or HA or both.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

got a pdf of the location layout on a grid or map or site survey? Also do you have to add connectivity to the locations or is that already established? Also is there a budget you have to stay in for project? All that matters before you decide.
    Last edited by Biggie1976; 06-06-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: add

Where are you going to load vSphere?

I don't. I am working on diagraming network, but will be a little while. connectivity is established. Budget is pretty generous, plus using virtual machines. right now we have two brand new fairly beefy servers per site, so four total. should be able to support all the vms we need?
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    Where are you going to load vSphere?
    all four of the new servers was my thoughts, unless I run across something that has to have a physical server to run.
    -Samuel Adams

Shared storage?

yes, san at each location
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    all four of the new servers was my thoughts, unless I run across something that has to have a physical server to run.

So, are you loading vSphere 5 on each server?

yes. its overkill for just exchange, but we will be doing some p2v conversion for their current file and database servers in the future.
    Last edited by everlast; 06-06-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    -Samuel Adams

Where are you going to install vCenter Server Standard for vSphere 5?

i may put it on one of their existing servers to start with, but I will make a dedicated member server on one of the hosts to house that.
    -Samuel Adams

10-4. If you install vSphere 5 on each host, you will need a separate machine to manage them... i.e vSphere Server. I just wanted to make sure you knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    10-4. If you install vSphere 5 on each host, you will need a separate machine to manage them... i.e vSphere Server. I just wanted to make sure you knew that.
    roger that. but the separate machine can be a vm on one of those hosts, correct?
    -Samuel Adams

I wouldn't do that...

ok. I will use one of their existing servers, or have them purchase a less powerful machine to dedicate to that. preesh
    -Samuel Adams

If something happens to that host machine and it has the vSphere server loaded on it as a vm, you will run into problems. You wont have a way to take advantage of the HA or vMotion without the vSphere server up and running. Otherwise, you will have to manage each host individually.