Thread: Alright fellas..... Need some help.

Default Alright fellas..... Need some help.

I'm in the process of setting up my 1542 grizzly tracker for bow fishing. I'm gonna build a platform that sits flush with top railing, and build a wrap around railing about knee high. Trying to keep it light, but can't go aluminum like I know i should. So far i have a deck (pending the modifications), and a 3,500 generator.

My main issues/needs/and wants right now is lighting and trolling motor selection. I am probably gonna end up going with 5 or 6, 150 watt hps lights due to water colors around here. I have a converter that I'm gonna run the trolling motor off of, also. Now the questions:
    1) where's the best place to purchase lights from? I'm on a budget, so can't get real crazy. I saw some on econo light, but says they are out of stock.
    2) will I need caps?
    3) what size 12v trolling motor would be sufficient for my size boat (foot controlled of course?)
    4) is building a ballist box a necessity?
    5) Is it ok to wire the lights in series with that big of a genny?

I'm completely new to this because I have never set up a bow rig before, only just fished with friends. All input and advise is greatly appreciated. Wish I could find some used hps, so if anyone knows where to look. Thanks fellas.

Hell of a deal in the TRADINPOST for one already rigged up. Just sayin.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

In regards to the trolling motor, I would personally go with a tiller instead of foot control. I cant work a foot control while standing up and with the boat moving, but maybe thats because I am 8 feet tall and have no coordination. It was easier just to work a tiller with the tiller extension. just my .02.
    \"If there must be war let it be in my day, that my child may have peace\" -Thomas Paine

x2 on the hand controlled troller. TRUST ME. especially on a boat as small as yours, you are going to need both feet on the floor for balance. a foot control is awesome while bass fishing, because you run the troller for a minute or two, then step off of it, then run it for a minute, then step off. well bowfishing is exact opposite. you run that thing on wide open all night just about. your damn legs will hurt so bad trying to balance on one foot all night and dodge stumps, docks, rocks, etc.

ive had a small rig (1436) and started out with a foot control, so im speaking from expeirience.

and as for size, it all depends if you are looking for 12 volt or 24 volt. you say you already have a converter, so is it a 12 volt or 24? if 12 volt, go with a 55lb, as thats the biggest 12 volt available. if its a 24volt i would go with something around 80lb.

as far as deck, screw a knee rail. all thats going to do is make you go in head first when you fall in. save the weight and dont use a knee rail. they will get in your way far more times than they will save you from goin swimming.

for lights, 150hps will be fine, but 500 watt halogens are just about as good, but alot cheaper and more readily available. you dont need to go up to 400hps unless you want to spend a little money and buy some fixtures and digital ballasts. 3 400s will give you plenty of light. one on the front and one on each side. digital ballasts will be a must tho as far as weight goes.

What that guy said. I think he has been bowfishing a couple times, so he may know a little. hahaha
    \"If there must be war let it be in my day, that my child may have peace\" -Thomas Paine

here is a few pics back when i was fishing out of a small 1436.... notice how i built a bracket to use a MUCH CHEAPER transom mount trolling motor as a bow mount troller. you can get these cheap 55lb minkotta eudora (sic) trollers for around 200 or less, which is much cheaper than any other bow mount troller you will find. and mounting them this way is actually better for fishing because if you see shallow water or a log coming up you can just grab on to the handle and lift the troller straight up alot faster than with a regular folding type bow mount troller. i ended up wiring a bigfoot switch on my troller so i could just step off of it when i shot a fish and my troller would stop.

also, if you plan on using a convertor you dont want to buy a digital troller. you need one of the old plain jane ones with individual speeds. they say the constant power of the converters will overhead and ruin the digital trollers alot faster.

btw, this is just a little 1436, and was only good for two people. tippy as hell, and not a boat you wanna be intoxicated in, but it worked. i literally shot thousands of pounds of catfish out of this thing back in 07 when the santee cooper lakes dropped down to 10' below normal. hope this gives you a few ideas.

Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 05-29-2013 at 10:29 AM.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

[QUOTE1) where's the best place to purchase lights from? I'm on a budget, so can't get real crazy. I saw some on econo light, but says they are out of stock.
    2) will I need caps?
    3) what size 12v trolling motor would be sufficient for my size boat (foot controlled of course?)
    4) is building a ballist box a necessity?
    5) Is it ok to wire the lights in series with that big of a genny?
    .[/QUOTE]

1.) econo light/amazon is my 1st place to look
    2.) I am not convinced they help, I dont run em with 5 150HPS on a 2000w genny. I hear from a lot of people they gotta run em but thats a whole nother thing
    3.) As big as you can afford, but I wouls use a hand controlled
    4.) Not unless you really want to, I would if u were running the big 400's or digital ballasts but I wouldnt think moving 30 or so lbs to back would help that much
    5.)Its regular 120v electricity. Match up the colors and roll with em. Just like wiring a house.
    Last edited by BigBallin; 05-29-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Man I appreciate y'all's inputs greatly. Dixie you gave some good tips and thanks for the pictures! I think I'm gonna stay away from then foot controlled now cause you brought up some good points I hadn't thought of. I had a type in my first post, my boats a 1552, not 42. But I'm looking for a basic simple set up like those pictures, just to get me started. I love to bow fish too much and it sucks having to wait on my friends to take their boats. Ready to get at it when i want to.