Thread: This morn while scouting...

First of all I'm not much of a turkey hunter. With that said, here goes nothin...

I was in a little woodie hole doing some scouting this morn and realized a gobbler(the beard gave it away) on a limb way up a tree. Just for kicks I began to yelp a few times. For the next few minutes he commenced to swell up drop his wing tips and raise his tail feathers like he was strutting, then go back to normal. A few gobbles in there too!!

It was awesome...but, is that common among a fall turkey spotting?
    Delta in a nutshell:Breeding grounds+small wetlands+big blocks of grass cover+predator removal+nesting structures+enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!
    Visit http://www.DeltaWaterfowl.org

It isn't common that you'll see it all the time, but I think it's common enough that many people see it some time or another. I've seen toms strut around a group of hens this time of year. I've heard them gobble like there's no tomorrow this time of year too. BUT, what you saw is one of the most awesome sights of turkey hunting/watching to actually see a tom on the roost showing off. I killed a monster bird 7 years or so ago, double beard, hooks, 21 lbs, I had him mounted strutting on a roost limb. At the time I killed him, he ranked 28th in the state.
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

Wow, sounds like a good bird. How are the rankings compared...or better yet how are they scored at all?
    Delta in a nutshell:Breeding grounds+small wetlands+big blocks of grass cover+predator removal+nesting structures+enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

He was the boss, no doubt. The birds are scored using a formula including their weight, beard length, and spur length. Since mine had 2 beards, it was considered a non typical. Go to www.nwtf.com and the formula for scoring the bird is on there. When I killed this one, they sent a form for me to fill out and it included the record book info for SC.

Alright, that good info. Is saw 16 more grazing in the field just up from the creek bed I saw that tom in the other day. Shot one drake woodie there this morn a matter of fact. Tom was nto roosting on the same limb though.. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

how big were his spurs?

spurs are 1 3/8 & 1 1/2, 2 beards, 11 inches & 10 inches, 11 inch very thick(paint brush) the 10 inch about half as thick & 21 lbs

nice bird bud....
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Turbo, Your are a crazy bitch