Thread: Ghillie Suit

just recently bought a ghillie suit off of ebay for a hell of a deal...there isnt anything wrong with my 3-D bug tamer suit that i have been using over the years...i just couldnt pass up on the deal...Do any of yall use them..if so, give me some feedback on their performance please, thanks
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

I hear they are hotter than hell. They are also usually very brown. You might want to spice it up with some green somehow. I'm a sneaky leaf man. Same effect but much lighter and it doesn't hinder when I need to run. Lot's of ghillie style suits coming out that are lighter, now. Did you get a rancho safari brand?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I use one in Canada duck hunting and they hide better than any camo ever could in just about every situation. They just look natural somehow. They would fool a turkey in a heartbeat.

However, I am not sure I would want to tote one on a turkey hunt as they are heavy, warm, and very "grabby"...

I bought mine at http://www.ghilliesuits.com/ after seeing the link posted by Mergie Master last year.

the suit that i purchased is very light weight and comfortable...only thing im worried about is the suit material getting caught up on briars and stuff like that...The color scheme is all season...and this suit has the most green of all the suits that were available..

here is a link to the exact suit.......
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300072885354&ssPageNam e=MERC_VI_RUPX_RUPX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem= 300077182583&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_ item&us edrule1=UpSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_w idget
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

Until the purchase of my Thermacell 2 seasons ago, I used my leafy Bug Tamer on every hunt. It kept the bugs off for the most part, however it grabbed on EVERYTHING. I usually wear my jacket still to provide a little cover, but won't use the pants. I'd imagine the ghillie would be pretty 'grabby' too. No doubt you'll be covered, but some good camo will give you as much cover as you'll need. IMO
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

Wearing one those in the areas that I hunt that are full of the "wait a minute" briars...a ghillie suit would turn them into "wait an hour" briars.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

SCTIMBER Coots

I agree, I picked one up a while back at a store up in NC and thought about buying it but changed my mind when I thought about how bad the cat and saw briars would be on it

To steer the topic a little away from the subject at hand...has anyone been hit by a devils walking stick, (aralia spinosa)? I avoid them like the plague now since one of them stuck me. I heard it was an allergic reaction to the bark...but didnt know for sure.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Nope, but I did see a pic of a tom that had 14 of 'em in his crop.

BB, I didn't know what you were talking about so I did a search for it. I've seen it and I've always stayed away because of the thorns! Those things are MEAN!
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

SCTIMBER Coots

I'd walk through a patch of greenbriars to stay away from a devils walking stick, next worse thing are saw briars and cat briars, they'll stick to almost anything, damn I hate em'