Thread: LED'S

Default LED'S

My roomate and I are in the process of setting up a boat, we are still trying to figure you what we want. I have been looking and thinking about trying out some LED's and runnnig them off batteries. Has any body switched over to them, if so whats your oppinion?

waste
    of
    money

lake murray is about the only place in this state where leds would be worth a shit. and thats just because the water is so clear there.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    waste
    of
    money

lake murray is about the only place in this state where leds would be worth a shit. and thats just because the water is so clear there.
    X10000

I have been using led's until I get a generator and I have to be right on top of the fish before I can see them.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

waste
    of
    money

You have never been to Keowee or Jocassee. We install LEDs every week on boats.

OceanLED is the brand we use.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Bested by Tee. Just damn...

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    You have never been to Keowee or Jocassee. We install LEDs every week on boats.

OceanLED is the brand we use.

we are talking bowfishing. run along.

waste
    of
    money

we are talking bowfishing. run along.

2 of the recent boats were bow fishing rigs. But I guess that doesn't happen up heya. My bad. Douche.

for one, bowfishing is illegal on jocasee.

and just because you put them on a boat, dont make them worth a shit.

i agree, leds would work with the water clarity of the two mountain lakes you mentioned... but neither of those spots are bowfishing lakes.

led lights SUCK for bowfishing. its about like using two lanterns for car headlights. they will get you by, but they definitely arent ideal.

for one, bowfishing is illegal on jocasee.

and just because you put them on a boat, dont make them worth a shit.

i agree, leds would work with the water clarity of the two mountain lakes you mentioned... but neither of those spots are bowfishing lakes.

led lights SUCK for bowfishing. its about like using two lanterns for car headlights. they will get you by, but they definitely arent ideal.
    I wasn't sure where they bowfished. One "said" he did on Keowee. Wasn't aware of it being illegal on Jocasee. And with both lakes being crystal clear I assumed the fellas knew what they were doing spending 2 grand on LED lights. I've been wrong before.

I just switched this week from halogen lights to the hps lights gotta say makes a world of difference hps def the way to go

I wasn't sure where they bowfished. One "said" he did on Keowee. Wasn't aware of it being illegal on Jocasee. And with both lakes being crystal clear I assumed the fellas knew what they were doing spending 2 grand on LED lights. I've been wrong before.

holy shit! 2grand on led lights to bowfish? they got more money than they got sense....

you could get a TOP OF THE LINE 400hps set up with remote digital balasts with custom built fixtures for less than 2grand. and one 400hps will put out more light than a truck load of leds.

i think a few folks bowfish on keowee. but its not know for being even remotely good for bowfishing, altho im sure you could kill a few there.

holy shit! 2grand on led lights to bowfish? they got more money than they got sense....

you could get a TOP OF THE LINE 400hps set up with remote digital balasts with custom built fixtures for less than 2grand. and one 400hps will put out more light than a truck load of leds.

i think a few folks bowfish on keowee. but its not know for being even remotely good for bowfishing, altho im sure you could kill a few there.
    These damn things are ridiculous.

One of the guys got the under water lighting that goes on a 65+ foot boat. 7000 lumens and he put two on some kind contraption he had made for the bow.

The other guy got 4 4000 lumens. Two on the transom and 2 on the bow.

What type of boats did they put them on
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

One was a Scout 201 Bay, the other was an 18 foot aluminum. The aluminum was a pretty damn sweet set up.

These damn things are ridiculous.

One of the guys got the under water lighting that goes on a 65+ foot boat. 7000 lumens and he put two on some kind contraption he had made for the bow.

The other guy got 4 4000 lumens. Two on the transom and 2 on the bow.

damn. thats just silly. one 400hps is about 50,000 lumens.

the underwater stuff does look bad ass on a boat in clear water. i have a few buddies that have the cheaper versions of the green leds mounted on their transom. just for looks mainly but it looks cool

LED technology has come a LONG way in the past 5-10 years. They still do not compare to high pressure sodium. Metal Halide would be next best , but I personally do not like the bluish light. (excepty in clear water) Even the $10 halogens will outperform any LED light that I have seen.

LED's have there place in really clear water or keeping noise down.
    You also have to factor in battery cost with LEDs.
    I would not even consider them for bowfishing 90% of the waters in SC.
    Last edited by Murray; 05-14-2013 at 03:03 PM.

they would be a good alternative for the areas up in myrles inlet that they banned generators for flounder sticking.

For anybody thinking of bowfishing on Keowee, stay away from the houses! The home owners think they own the dang lake and will pop off rounds to keep you away from "their" fish. Don't bother talking to the cops either, they aren't helpful and aren't on your side.

As far as the led's are concerned, you couldn't pay me to use them because I fish everything from clear water to water that looks like mud. If you are going to spend that kind of money go with hps.
    For the ducks

Thanks guys that kinda what I was thinking, and hadnt talked to any one runnnig the LED's,