Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power steering pump keeps going out

Default Power steering pump keeps going out

08 f150

I have been through several power steering pumps in the last two years. Some blow out within minutes of install. Others will work only when the truck picks up rpm's. at idle the power steering wines a bit and won't kick in until you bump the gas a bit. Any ideas?

OEM tires?
    1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

Unless you've got some giant shoes on that bitch, I don't think tires would be an issue...

Are you running the correct fluid? Who is doing the work for you? Where are you getting your parts?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

New or reman. pump? I have seen some pumps bad straight out of the box on the re manufactured units.

Are you draining all of fluid in system when changing the pumps? I ask this because if your mixing some old burnt fluid with new it can cause the pump to go bad. Have also seen the same problem when Clear ps fluid was mixed with the red ps fluid and also regular mixed with synthetic. Some people used transmission fluid in pumps as well and this caused seal damage earlier.

Another thing could be belt tension.
    Last edited by SCH2Ofowler; 05-08-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Nitto terra grapplers and trail grapplers have been on it. Last pump was a motorcraft pump. Blew out a seal they said on the high pressure hose...? Local tire and auto shop is doing the work.

Proper fluid has been used. New pump and flush has been done upon install every time. I'm scratching my head on this one...

Do those have a ps rack? If so when installing there might still be some air in the system causing cavitation in the pump. But that really doesn't explain the seal blowing out.

Lower control arms are scrubbing the inside of the tires on tight turns into parking spots. Could this put enough stress on the pump to burn it up, blow seals, etc?

I feel like this was happening before I put the newer tires on that scrub

I have an 01' Toyota Tacoma. I went through 7 pumps and 3 racks between 2 mechanics. They couldn't figure it out. Took it to a third mechanic and within 10 minutes he told me a tie rod on the passenger side was was seized and this was causing the pumps to over pressurize and blow. I thought he was crazy. It has been18 months since he fixed the tie rod and I haven't had an issue since. I am by no means a mechanic but he was right. A tie rod caused my issue

Take it to a dealer - you'll at least get a 12,000 mile warranty.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    08 f150
    Just sayin....
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

Quote Originally Posted by Foie Gras View Post
    Just sayin....
    Fucker has been bullet proof up to this point with 130,000 miles. Just sayin...

Have you inspected your suspension thoroughly? Check the u-joints...

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    Lower control arms are scrubbing the inside of the tires on tight turns into parking spots. Could this put enough stress on the pump to burn it up, blow seals, etc?

I feel like this was happening before I put the newer tires on that scrub

Just saw this...

Anything causing a bind can put stress on that pump.

Xhail....im suspicious of the tires. Only fix though is to buy new expensive ass tires or put on spacers am i correct? I hate to put spacers on and look like a messy can driving down the road. I'm not big on spaced out tires and an airbrush painting of the virgin marry sword fighting a Brahma bull on my tailgate. I like to keep my shit looking Merican!

I seriously doubt a little scrubbing from your tires are causing your issues unless you're pinning the wheel every time you turn it. I've got an '05 with 150,000mi and some 295-70-18 Trail Grapplers. Before that, I had 305-65-18 (wider) Terra Grapplers. Before that, I had 305-65-18 BFG ATs. I've never had a minute's issue with the steering. They only scrub at full lock left or right.... and I certainly don't hold it there.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Did they replace all of the lines? Is your truck equipped with a power steering cooler?

Blinker fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by XHailGC View Post
    Did they replace all of the lines? Is your truck equipped with a power steering cooler?
    Turbo, thanks for your reply. This thing has me baffled. Xhail, they replaced the pump itself. I'm not super truck savvy, so I'm kind of at a loss here beyond the basics of what the issue could be. New pump has been put in. Different brand. We shall see...

Is the same shop replacing the pump each time? If so, it sounds like your shop of choice is putting break fluid into the pump so you will return for more business.

If I were you, I would make a trip to A 2 Z Auto Repair and get Kevin to hook you up.