Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hps lights

Default Hps lights

Hey guys was looking to change over to hps lights on my rig just looking for any info on dos and donts and what u guys prefer and maybe where is best place to get it

What do you currently have? I know nothing about hps lights, just getting into bowfishing, but just curious.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

dont waste your time on anything but 400watt. the 150s are just not the same.

keep in mind that a standard 400hps weighs about 28lbs each.. so depending on the size of your boat you may need to do some rearanging. 100lbs of lights on the front deck might be too much for some smaller boats.

some options are to either upgrade to digital ballasts, which weigh about 5lbs each compared to 25lbs each. or you can remove the heavy ballasts from the lights and remotely mount them in the back of your boat in a weather proof box.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 05-08-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Does anyone sell just the enclosures everything I have found comes with the mag ballasts I would like to use the digital ballasts

I currently have 7 500w like shop work lights

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

a 150 watt HPS works better than a 500 watt halogen, a 250 works better that a 150, and 400's are the bees knees. I run 150s, partner runs 250s and used to shoot over 400s. Its in the money and, as dixie said, the weight. A 150 HPS puts out about twice the Lumens as a 500watt halogen and a 400 watt put out somewhere around 8-10 times the amount of light. With halogens we used to max the gennys on watts and the HPS we touch the limits on amps (we run 2000W gennys). Some people will tell you to run caps on your lights, I havent been able to substantiate that with any hard data it helps because I feel the discharge rate is the same as the charge rate meaning if you run a cap you are potentially creating a very small amp increase because of resistance in the extra leg....but thats just my stinkin thinkin....
    Last edited by BigBallin; 05-08-2013 at 08:22 AM.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Make sure you look at the amp draw and not just watts when considering how many HPS lights you can run with your generator. They pull more when warming up than when they are hot.

Thanks or the info guys I have looked at lights at several places is there anywhere around where u can buy just the housings or does someone make them I wanna get digital ballasts so I don't wanna spend the money to buy a light with a mag ballast already in it if I could find just the housings

I run 8 150hps with caps on a 2000 watt generator they are not the best but they are alot better than halogens. I had to install caps because the generator wouldnt support them with out.The ones with caps already in them are a little more expensive but it cheaper than puting them in later. Econolight online was the cheapest place I found to buy them. They are a lot cheaper than Lowes and places like that.

Thanks rafterbm I have been looking there seem to be about the best price also. I also found some hps 400w wall packs would those be just as good as the flood I noticed they didn't have a clear lense

PM me a pic of what you want and I will see if we have some laying around the shop.

I would recomend these if 400 watt is what you wanthttp://www.e-conolight.com/floods/medium/medium-flood/e-hr4h40qz.html. The only drawback is they are heavy. If you make bracket for them they will break the housing over time. I would put the ballast in a remote box or go more smaller lights. 400hps are the best light without a doubt.

Jpeater from bowfishing country makes custom housings. He is out of Augusta.

There was a guy in Clinton making them, but I think he stopped.

jpeater (trey) as of last time i spoke with him stopped making them. There are a lot of the boat fabricators making them on bfc...personally ive shot over everything and prefer 150s but to each his own

Quote Originally Posted by UpSouth811 View Post
    jpeater (trey) as of last time i spoke with him stopped making them. There are a lot of the boat fabricators making them on bfc...personally ive shot over everything and prefer 150s but to each his own
    150s over 400s?

Where are you located?

Lexington

So I got me a couple 400w hps wall packs they have the textured glass lenses would it be better to put a clear lens I would assume clear would be brighter. Could I use plexie glass for the lense or would it melt?

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

plexiglass will probably melt and make sure you use tempered glass or it will shatter when the first drop of water hits it.
    You can grow up to be just like me....