Thread: Conditioning a slate call?

What steps do you guys take to properly condition your slate calls?

I've got a couple different slates and have been having a bit of a problem getting them properly conditioned to sound right. I'm using 400 grit sandpaper.

Any suggestions?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I use that 3M green emory cloth. I use it on the slate as well as the tip of the striker. The pressure and angle of the striker has a lot to do with the sound you'll get. Once you find the sweet spot, practice it until that angle just becomes second nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Very little conditioning... just a stroke or two and always in ONE DIRECTION ONLY - on both the striker and slate.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Originally posted by duckduckdog:
    I use that 3M green emory cloth. I use it on the slate as well as the tip of the striker. The pressure and angle of the striker has a lot to do with the sound you'll get. Once you find the sweet spot, practice it until that angle just becomes second nature.
    I understand the calling technique, I'm just having a problem getting a new call conditioned and the older one seems to "smooth out" too easily.

FYI, I've got three different types of strikers and all three give a different tone, which is OK.
    ~ George Washington

Yeah, I just got a new LEGEND slate call this year and had a little trouble getting it conditioned as well. The 3M Emory cloth in one direction seemed to work really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

run a lighter underneath it to get the moisture out then try it, slate doesn't require a helluva lot of conditioning.

I "think" the issue with my new one is that the face is a hard plexiglas. It's been virtually impossible to get it scratched up for some reason. I'll just have to keep working on it.
    ~ George Washington

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Tater is right slate doesn't take much to condition. The glass on the other hand is totally different, I always have a heck of a time getting glass or chrystal calls to where I want them.

Btw, here's a tip, if you're ever out hunting and your slate gets slick and you don't have anything with you to rough it, you can use fine dry sand. Rub it on the slate with your glove or shirt sleeve. Works good in a pinch!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

The best way to get that slate to work is put it away and pick up the ole' Tom Gaskins. It's the only call you need.

btw,
    Emory cloth seems to work from what I've been told. A guy gave me a slate the other day, and I played w/ it at the house. I put it in my vest, but I don't know why. I guess for a rainy day.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

if you put it in there for a rainy day you best put it in a baggy!! Real slate doesn't take kindly to being wet!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I use a Primos Power Crystal call that has glass instead of true slate. I carry a rough and a medium grit sandpaper and some 3m ScotchBrite. I use all 3 on the call surface starting with the coarse grit and only use the ScotchBrite on the striker. It did take some work to get it the way I want it. FWIW
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....