“Guns Across The Border” Gives Insider Account Of ATF “Gunwalking”

Before "Fast and Furious", there was "Wide Receiver", a surveillance operation by ATF, ostensibly to track straw purchasers and to identify how some guns are smuggled into Mexico from the U.S. to help supply the drug cartels with firepower. As with Fast and Furious, some of the weaponry eluded the trackers and found its way into criminal hands.

'Guns across the Border: How and Why the U.S. Government Smuggled Guns into Mexico' tells the story of that operation, identifying the key players involved, and significantly, explaining the differences between the earlier and later “gunwalking” operations.

Authored by Mike Detty, a gun writer, FFL and the confidential informant at the heart of the operation, it gives an inside view of an American who risked his life over the course of years trying to do what he thought was his patriotic duty, only to find out in the end his “handlers” hung him out to dry.

I was pleased to write the introduction for the book (the foreword was penned by CBS News investigative reporter Sharyl Attkisson, who won both a Murrow Award and an Emmy for her groundbreaking reporting on Fast and Furious).

Detty and I will both be interviewed tonight at 9 p.m Eastern on the nationally-syndicated Armed American Radio program, hosted by Mark Walters, and will discuss his book in detail. To join us, go to the AAR website to find a station near you or to listen live via the internet.

To read my review of Detty’s book and to find out how you can get a copy for yourself, check out “‘Guns across the Border’ tells inside story of Operation Wide Receiver CI.”