Thread: Another 28ga bird w/video

Default Another 28ga bird w/video

I've talked to several people this season trying to get there kid a bird but couldnt get one close enough to shoot them with a 410. I offered my 28ga to several people and one finally took me up on it today. As we were setting up he asked, "how close does he have to be?" I said anything inside 50 is dead. So we set up with two 6 year olds and both of their dads inside a blind and I set up outside to watch the back side. We were hunting a chufa patch where they had been watching a nice bird about all season. About 30 minutes after we settled in I spotted the bird coming. I gave a whisper to tell them he was behind them. He cleared the brush and I gave the word to shoot and boom the bird goes down at 42 steps. What a day and a week; killed the bird of a life time, one solo with the 28, went on an unbelievable hunt with Jacob and Boozer, got my dad one this morning and Reed's first one this afternoon. Here are a few pics and the video. Its not the best and there is a few explicits but all out of excitement. This was his first bird and it was a good one. 17.75lbs 1 1/4'' & 1 3/8'' spurs and 10 1/8'' beard.

Last edited by duckchoppin; 04-28-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Good Stuff.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Priceless! Love the giggles!
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Yes. They were fired up. We got on another but the other kid fell asleep and the bird never showed so we called it.

Awesome....
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Congrats to you and the kids. I started shooting a 28 at doves exclusively 7-8 years ago. I'll take any shot with it I'd take with a 12. But I'd like to hear more about this 28 that will kill a turkey at 50 yards. Type of gun, choke, and what shot are you shooting? If you don't mind sharing. You use hand loads? Never seen anything larger than 7s in the stores.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Here is a higher quality video. You can see everything much better.

Palmetto its a Franchi 48 al w/ briley xfull choke 1 5/16 #9s tss shot.

Video won't work on my iPhone.

Just awesome. That TSS is some bad stuff

Forgive the ignorance but TSS?? Tungsten something or other? Manufacturer? Tks.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Tungsten super shot and its hand loaded.