Thread: Bowfishing Newbie

Default Bowfishing Newbie

Well I finally went bowfishing last night for the first time. Man was it fun!! I didn't hit a single thing but had a blast. Shot at some catfish but never saw any drum, gar, carp, etc.

I didn't want to spend a fortune on equipment before even tried it out, so I bought one of those package deals that includes an arrow and a round "disk" reel. The one you have to manually wrap the line around. Well that SUCKS, so I will probably go to a fishing reel. I already had an old re-curve.

Have a few questions. Will a zebco 808 shoot that orange string that came with that other kit or do I need regular fishing line?

I don't have lights inside my boat and I almost broke my neck a few times trying to move around in there. Anyone have any pics of the interior of their boats at night with lights in them? LED, etc.
    Last edited by sftull; 04-26-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

You can use the zebcos, but you need to shoot fast flight line. It is a little pricey, but worth it. I like the 888s better because the have all metal internal parts. The wheel reels are a piece of shit. Some people like the retriever reels or bottle reels, but they were not for me.
    I THINK it is legal to shoot snapping turtles. However, if you shoot one, you should plan to eat it. A huge snapping turtle is likely to be older than you, so just consider that before slinging an arrow his way.
    Last edited by Murray; 04-26-2013 at 08:01 AM.

My buddies in AR are huge into it, this is his interior light setup in his war eagle

And one of his setups:

1648 Tracker Grizzly
    Yamaha 70 2 stroke

I started out with a big zebco and it worked fine. Don't forget to hit the release before you shoot! It would be worth it to buy an extra arrow or 2 and some points. Also, I would read the rules and regs before you post on here if its legal or not. Good luck, and by the way, it can be very addicting!

Thanks for the info Murry. I eat everything that I shoot, so no worries there.
    Last edited by sftull; 04-26-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

Sportin' Woodies

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

I like the 888 pro with 200lb fast flight tied straight to the back of the arrow. The bottle reel will shoot the big flat line. Its a preference as to which you like. I got both cause I use the bottle for gators but shot em for fish for years. A few halogens, a small genny, and a trolling motor and you can be out shooting. Unfortunately, just like duck hunting, it can take over your life.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

This is the site for bowfishing.
    Info for decks, lights, kickers, fans, bows, local tournaments

www.bowfishingcountry.com

I use the same setup as BigBallin. 888's with 200# fast flight.
    Last edited by Murray; 04-26-2013 at 08:15 AM.

You can not shoot that orange line out of a zebco. It wont work properly because of how thick the line is. It would tangle in the reel and potentially cause the arrow to snap back at you when you shoot. Which can put your eye out. Haha

for my interior light, i just have a small 150watt halogen mounted to the bottom of my deck. It shines back in the boat and puts out just enough light to see what you are doing, but not so much that it blinds you.....

Here is a pic. Its the little light in the upper left of the pic.

Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 04-26-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Is it worth going with a zebco or should I just skip it and go straight to the AMS?

Nice lights.

I can't find anything on SCDNR about bowfishing. If anyone could provide me with a link, I would appreciate it.

I have been on the bowfishingcountry site a few times. Alot of good info over there.
    Last edited by sftull; 04-26-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Sportin' Woodies

The AMS is the retriever/bottle reel. I personally do not like them because they are a little slower, and have the potential for snap back.

The problem with zebcos is all the moving parts. Sometimes the break/jam. Shoot enough and you will become pretty good at fixing them. If the fast flight line wraps around something when you shoot, then it will snap.

Ive been bowfishing for years and cant stand the ams retrievers. I started out with them like alot of folks, but it didnt take me long to switch to the zebco and i havent looked back since. Its really personal preference.

The ams will probably out last a zebco reel, but, they take longer to reel in and renock an arrow, and also on any decent sized fish you have to put the bow down and hand line the fish in. It makes a mess with line all over the boat. I cant stand em. The guy that fishes tournaments with me has been bowfishing for over 10 years and wont use anything but an ams....

I would highly reccomend a zebco with 200lb fast flight line. But you wouldnt be going wrong with an ams retriever reel.

Can you get the fast flight line at any local places ( Walmart, Acadamy, etc.) or will I need to order it?

I like the fishing reel setup better b/c I won't have to mod my re-curve to mount it.

Also, our water is pretty murky, so would you recommend halogen or led work lights?. I used my gtrax led's last night and they did ok, but I know 3 or 4 big work lights would be ALOT better. Also, I'm not looking to do this all the time, so I don't plan on dropping a great deal of money in it.

Sportin' Woodies

Shakespeare also makes a reel I think called a Synergy. Its silver and looks kinda like the 888. Its line opening is a little larger and allows the line to come out easier. There used to be a guy that would customize the Zebco, he was on that bow fishing website. Zebco now makes a bowfishing reel, though I have no knowledge of its fuctioning. Bottle reels are a pain to shoot in my opinion and sold mine after a couple outings. I have been out of the game for a few years but I plan to go some this year. Its like hunting, knowing when and where, and what time is a big key to bow fishing. DDS is your go to guy if he will share some info with ya.
    Low country redneck who moved north

I WOULD RECCOMEND 4-6 500 WATT HALOGEN WORK LIGHTS. JUST THE CHEAP 10-15 DOLLAR LIGHTS FROM LOWES OR HOME DEPOT. LED LIGHTS SUCK, UNLESS YOU DROP SOME SERIOUS CASH ON THEM.

IM NOT SURE WHERE YOU ARE FROM BUT THERE ARE SEVERAL LOCAL PLACES TO GET FAST FLIGHT LINE. I THINK SPORTSMANS WAREHOUSE USED TO CARRY IT. NOT SURE IF THEY STILL DO. SOUTHS FINEST SPORTING GOODS IN FLORENCE CARRIES IT. THE DOG FOOD CENTER IN ORANGEBURG SELLS IT. ANYWHERE THAT SELLS BOWFISHING SUPPLIES SHOULD HAVE IT.

YOU DONT HAVE TO SPEND ALOT OF MONEY TO BOWFISH. HERE WAS MY FIRST SETUP.... I HAD VERY LITTLE MONEY IN IT. USED STUFF I HAD AROUND THE HOUSE TO BUILD MOST OF IT. I KILLED A TON (OR A FEW TONS LITERALLY) OF FISH OUT OF THIS BOAT.

EVENTUALLY I UPGRADED TO THIS ONE, WITH HIGH PRESSURE SODIUM LIGHTS, AND A KICKER MOTOR INSTEAD OF A TROLLER.....

I'm in rock hill. I'm going to call Nichols Store in alittle while to see if they have the fast line.

As far as the generator...any recommendations?

DDS, have I seen your new rig at the duck run? That boat looks familiar.

Sportin' Woodies

Default Champion

Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    DDS, have I seen your new rig at the duck run? That boat looks familiar.

Yes you probably have seen it at the duck run. He has a sweet go-tee and usually has 2-3 shirtless pre-teen boys with him..

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Yes you probably have seen it at the duck run. He has a sweet go-tee and usually has 2-3 shirtless pre-teen boys with him..
    hahah

I got some 200# fast flight and a muzzy reel seat at lunch.

Thanks for the heads up on the generator.

Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post