Thread: smoked turkey breast

Default smoked turkey breast

Anyone ever smoked a turkey breast?

With it being skinless should something be wrapped around it like bacon to keep it from drying out?
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

I grilled some nuggets wrapped in bacon once.

I did not repeat the performance.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Smoked is the main way we ate it growing up. Mom had a good recipe and she did it every April on an electric smoker. She passed in 97 so I don't have the recipe. I think she just marinated it in something similar to a dales. Maybe soy sauce. I bought a smoker a year ago and it's my goal to recreate it. She never put bacon on it and it was never dry. I honestly owe my love of turkey hunting to dad taking me camping/hunting each spring break growing up and mom smoking the meat. It is really good.

I normally make them into nuggets and fry but after having some smoked turkey from Carolina BBQ Shack, I want to try it myself. They probably smoke a whole turkey with skin I would think.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Inject with Cajun Butter. Sprinkle some Tony Cachere's on both sides and smoke for about 4 hours on old Brinkman smoker with full pan of water or juice or whatever fluid you desire. This is the way I cook my wild turkey. I have used hickory or mesquite. It just depends on your taste.
    Last edited by River Hawk; 04-13-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Happy, knappy, and a pleasure to know -

Millero does it that way and swears by it.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Brine over night, otherwise don't waste it