Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: Woodworkers

I'm fairly new to any kind of wood working beyond building deer stands, but interested in it from the standpoint of making things for around the house, working up as I learn. I have a budget (as everyone does) so I'm identifying what I need, what I want, what I can afford...

Recently upgraded my table saw to a Delta (as good as I can go) and got a DeWalt thickness planer. Want to upgrade my compound miter saw to a Bosch or the Delta Cruzer to save space and give a sliding ability. A better drill press. And, recently developed an interest in a bench top jointer. I have to get my workshop wired... it will be a multi-function space, about 12 x 25 feet (one of the garages). I have the vision - just need to get off my ass and get into it heavier. Work is getting in the way.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Shop Nation is a Youtube channel you would enjoy, Rat.

And if you want to see somebody do some incredible work with hand tools, Rob Cosman is the man.

That said, everything revolves around the table saw. Now that you have a quality saw, be sure to invest in quality blades. IMO, Freud is a great blade for the money and they offer all sorts of configurations, depending on purpose (rip, crosscut, laminate, etc). Build a crosscut sled...

and invest in a dado set. I actually prefer NOT to have a sliding compound saw because of the space they take up in the back. I just have a 12" Dewalt non-sliding that has served me well for years. Get a magnetic digital angle finder too

(https://www.amazon.com/Backlight-Dig...NsaWNrPXRydWU=).

They are cheap and reliable and will work on the miter saw or table saw to be sure things are calibrated correctly.
    The bench sander is another tool you shouldn't overlook. I've seen some gizmos guys have built that house the planer and sander in one and it rolls over, depending on which tool you're using - just to save space in a tighter shop. For breaking down sheet goods, a track saw is a must, IMO. That's just the bigger equipment. You'll still need squares, chisels, drill bits, etc - and all that just comes with time.

Get to gettin'....
    Last edited by Simple Man; 04-14-2023 at 07:42 AM.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post

And if you want to see somebody do some incredible work with hand tools, Rob Cosman is the man.

That said, everything revolves around the table saw. Now that you have a quality saw, be sure to invest in quality blades. IMO, Freud is a great blade for the money and they offer all sorts of configurations, depending on purpose (rip, crosscut, laminate, etc). Build a crosscut sled...

and invest in a dado set. I actually prefer NOT to have a sliding compound saw because of the space they take up in the back. I just have a 12" Dewalt non-sliding that has served me well for years. Get a magnetic digital angle finder too

(https://www.amazon.com/Backlight-Dig...NsaWNrPXRydWU=).

They are cheap and reliable and will work on the miter saw or table saw to be sure things are calibrated correctly.
    The bench sander is another tool you shouldn't overlook. I've seen some gizmos guys have built that house the planer and sander in one and it rolls over, depending on which tool you're using - just to save space in a tighter shop. For breaking down sheet goods, a track saw is a must, IMO. That's just the bigger equipment. You'll still need squares, chisels, drill bits, etc - and all that just comes with time.

Get to gettin'....
    The Bosch Glide doesn’t take up any more room than a standard compound saw due to the glide knuckles. It cuts sharper bevels and angles, positive crown stops and a dado feature too for small amounts of dado. I have to say the Freud blade I just got is pretty dang good, not the Forrest but for the difference in money I may look at them depending on how it lasts. Set off the cartridge in the saw and it ruined the last Forrest, dang wet PT plywood and me not paying attention to lock it out.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    I watch his stuff! And lots of others. I have a lot of the stuff you mention, including the magnetic angle indicator. I forgot to mention the track saw - It's high on my list. Looking at that with a Centipede stand to save space and just cut on insulation foam. Was going to order the Centipede today...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    The Bosch Glide doesn’t take up any more room than a standard compound saw due to the glide knuckles. It cuts sharper bevels and angles, positive crown stops and a dado feature too for small amounts of dado.
    Yeah, the Bosch Glide or Delta Cruzer were what I was looking at for that reason - space. The guy on Shop Nation 3D prints an improvement for dust collection on it.

Getting a sub panel to power all this stuff is high on the priority list. Likely not going with built in dust collection (as much as I'd like to) but will use a Dust Deputy cart and ShopVac. On good days I can cut in the driveway.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Man cave remodel. No finished but coming along. Barnwood is cypress off an old barn here on the plantation

Attachment 55041
    Attachment 55042
    This is awesome and something I want to do with my mancave one day! Awesome job here bud

Not near as talented as most here. I’ve pieced a few things together over time.
    IMG_7095.jpg

IMG_6043.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_4413.jpgIMG_4473.jpg

65265643931__819823EA-B42E-4883-9807-A5CA6E21688F.jpgIMG_4531.jpg
    Last edited by flashman252; 05-09-2023 at 08:54 AM.

Nice work!

Ain’t as quite pretty as a wine rack, but it added another 20k value to my house. 85 ft long consisting of 6by6 drove 10ft below water level, then 7by16by3 sloppy V horizontal, lagged into post , filter clothed and capped.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post

Ain’t as quite pretty as a wine rack, but it added another 20k value to my house. 85 ft long consisting of 6by6 drove 10ft below water level, then 7by16by3 sloppy V horizontal, lagged into post , filter clothed and capped.
    Getting ready to do one at my house almost exactly like that minus the pond.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Get some of this, posers…

F219017F-09B3-46FE-8E69-0C5312A2C131.jpg
    Pine Island has a patent on that, might want to check with him before posting.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Almost finished... Kind of appropriate for today.

Flag 1 2023.jpg

Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Get some of this, posers…

F219017F-09B3-46FE-8E69-0C5312A2C131.jpg
    who you expecting to sit on that, some biggest loser contestant interviewing to be on the show?. Overkill and then some my friend
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

IMG_20230812_114414618.jpgIMG_20230812_102800744_HDR.jpgIMG_20230812_101528788.jpg

Mann tool supply in Columbia hosted a chance to do something for our service members overseas this morning. Close to 200 pens were turned from purple heart wood to send to those folks serving our country. I turned the first two and my buddy turned the 3rd one. We both did another one each that I didn't get pictures of.

. Had a good time, meet great people, learned some things and got to do something nice for somebody.
    Last edited by flockbuster; 08-12-2023 at 08:48 PM.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Built a proper base for the elk euro with digital picture frame. Aspen wood with maple trim and walnut on an aspen log for the pedestal post. Nowhere to put these things that they don’t take up a ridiculous amount of space.

I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

well done, SM
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

All you woodworkers should help 2fer with his handicap ramp...