Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Was Correct

Default Glenn Was Correct

Running is, indeed, stupid.

In my last thread, I stated I ran ~2 miles on Monday; it's been YEARS since I've run.

My dumbass went out and did the same thing on Tuesday, and improved my time even though my foot was killing me.

Well, today, here I am and can barely walk. It feels like someone is taking a screwdriver, jamming it into my foot, and wrenching it around. It's on the outside area somewhat across from the arch.

I've been reading for about an hour, and everything points towards this: http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/1359...sioadvisor.htm

This is the foot that had the motorcycle land on it two years ago; mid-ankle sprain, contusion of big toe, stress fracture of the heel bone.

My wife works in the radiology department. Gonna go tomorrow (most likely) get a few x-rays to make sure there isn't a stress fracture elsewhere. I'm icing it today; hell, maybe it'll be miraculously better tomorrow? We'll see.

Well, Glenn -- thanks a bunch for the words of wisdom. You were two days late.

If cavemen didnt run... then how did they eat meat?

The injury you have is a result of wearing running shoes... we are designed to run barefoot and when shoes are added our natural running form changes, though the injury problem caused the issue to be more severe.
    Last edited by 803; 04-03-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    "Blessed is the man... who makes one word grow where two grew before" - Havilah Babcock

You might as well learn that a man who catches fish or shoots game has got to make it fit to eat before he sleeps. Otherwise it’s all a waste and a sin to take it if you can’t use it.” - Robert Ruark

"Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing " -Benjamin Franklin

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by 803 View Post
    If cavemen didnt run... then how did they eat meat?

The injury you have is a result of wearing running shoes... we are designed to run barefoot and when shoes are added our natural running form changes, though the injury problem caused the issue to be more severe.
    yea...get you some of those finger shoe thingies....must be the ugliest things i ever did see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by artdevilish View Post
    yea...get you some of those finger shoe thingies....must be the ugliest things i ever did see.
    These?

(Yeah, those are my feet.)

I got some $100 Asics to run in. I wear the toe shoes to work every now and then and stand on concrete for 8 hours a day.

I will add that I'm kinda pissed & somewhat depressed/disappointed at the same time.

Wonder f its gout?? Probably in the wrong place but damn that hurts. Must be from eating Tilapia or what ever it is.

A restaurant is making a fortune when they sell you that fish.
    Last edited by rp; 04-03-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Walk it off

Running is indeed stupid.

But I feel your pain is due to your chosen footwear and running style.

Go with a minimalist shoe. All running is is leaning forward and not falling by catching yourself on the balls of your feet. Your heel should strike the ground AFTER the ball of the foot and then it should be quick and light. To go faster lean forward more.

I would wager you are striking the ground heel first and running in an upright position.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Walk it off
    I tried for over 4 hours today. I ran through it yesterday; probably made whatever it is worse.

I've got my "majic boot" (as we explained it to Colt from when I wrecked my bike), so I may end up in it. Hell if I know.

I can take the pain; that's not my problem.

My concern here is that I'll fuck something up for good. I need my feet for about another 50ish years. Feet and eyes -- two things I try to take seriously when there are problems.

I would wager you are striking the ground heel first and running in an upright position.
    You would win that bet.

I own the toe-shoes, but never ran in them

It'll probably be a while, but I may end up re-evaluating my workout ideas.

I know there are hundreds of ways to get in shape while nearly staying inside a 3' circle and are low-impact.

Hell, maybe I just need to buy a DVD.

If something is broke, it will be swollen and bruised. If not its probably just sprained and will pass.

Fasciitis hurts like a bitch.

I'll also wager you aren't doing any mobility before or after.

Peep dis. Should help. And cruise around this site for more info on how to stay loosey goosey...

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/11/e...fasciitis.html

When I recommended couch to 5k I left out what lead up to me going with that plan. A while back I decided to start running and began by running as far as I could and then walking like you. My body wasn't ready for it and I developed hairline fractures on the bone below both knee caps. Rode a bike til I healed and educated myself on good running form like Glenn mentioned. When I healed up I started couch to 5k and slowly worked myself up to 3 miles in 30 minutes which was my goal. The book "run for like" has a lot of knowledge on running. Now I have to start all over because I haven't ran in over a year and a half.

I'll also wager you aren't doing any mobility before or after.
    I walk all day @ work. I stretched throughout the day Monday/Tuesday and again, briefly, before I took off for my runs. I walked 1/4 mile after the runs and then stretched briefly after the runs.

Maybe I needed more; I'm really not sure.

I'll look around that site. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder Pounder View Post
    When I recommended couch to 5k I left out what lead up to me going with that plan. A while back I decided to start running and began by running as far as I could and then walking like you. My body wasn't ready for it and I developed hairline fractures on the bone below both knee caps. Rode a bike til I healed and educated myself on good running form like Glenn mentioned. When I healed up I started couch to 5k and slowly worked myself up to 3 miles in 30 minutes which was my goal. The book "run for like" has a lot of knowledge on running. Now I have to start all over because I haven't ran in over a year and a half.
    Solid advice. I have a nice bike w/ toe clips and all that shit. It hasn't been used in years... I got the Lifetime Service warranty thing at Cycle Center. I reckon I need to take the bike over there and drop it off. If I'm outta work tomorrow, I'll take the bike over there.

I think I mentioned it in another thread...how I like to over-do shit when I start. Cliffnotes: I hadn't ridden in a few years, hopped on my bike, and 17 miles later I got back to the house. I was nearly 11 miles away when I wanted to call someone to come pick my ass up, but I had forgotten my phone at home. LOL.

I can be a dumbass.

Please never title a thread "Glenn was Correct".....damn if some of us won't see that in a text signature for 6 months.....
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    Maybe I needed more; I'm really not sure.
    You do. A lot more.

I tried jogging, but it really wears down the heals of my cowboy boots.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    These?

(Yeah, those are my feet.)

I got some $100 Asics to run in. I wear the toe shoes to work every now and then and stand on concrete for 8 hours a day.

I will add that I'm kinda pissed & somewhat depressed/disappointed at the same time.
    I would wear those shoes if I had none and I was on the frozen tundra...other than that...not so much.
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

You do. A lot more.
    Good video. Thanks.

Maybe I have P.F., but mine is killing me on the outside of the foot. However, I think working over a golf ball would really help. The pain in the front of the shin is common for me, too.

And, yeah...I should probably dedicate 10 minutes to stretching instead just 1 minute or so.

It's been too long since I've done this shit. I appreciate the help.

read born to run. changes your whole perspective on shit. the tamahumra (i know that's not how you spell it) have been running barefoot for centuries, and doing it damn well. humans used to be able to chase down animals who were quicker then us over long distances. the author of the book mentions a modern day african tribe who still does this. pretty thought provoking and convinced me to become a minimalist. i don't run barefoot, but don't use the thick heeled running shoes, either.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.