Thread: We've already moved beyond blu-ray...

Default We've already moved beyond blu-ray...

UltraViolet is pretty cool technology. I was able to play Argo for Dad over the weekend by logging into his internet-connected blu-ray player. My daughter also watches movies on her laptop at school.

I really think we've already moved beyond blu-ray. I'm really glad I lived long enough to see this kind of stuff.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I decided to not do the blue ray thing(skipped it)... It worked out well for me.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    I decided to not do the blue ray thing(skipped it)... It worked out well for me.
    You can take your DVD's to Walmart and for $5 each get blu-ray quality access to your movies through the internet. Or, for $2 get standard definition access to these movies through the cloud. They put a small stamp on the disc and give them right back to you. You can watch them on a mobile device, laptop or internet connected TV.

It's only money and you can't take it with you.

you're saying we've moved past bluray, but i think what you mean is that we've moved past disc based video.

bluray's biggest pro is quality and resolution. you're not going to get that from the cloud unless you have an internet connection that is the equivalent of a lan connection.

however, hd 1080p (2.1 megapixals) is beginning to be a thing of the past. ultra hd will be the next best thing. currently, its in 4k and 8k (2160p and 4320p) and runs at 8.3 megapixals and 33.22 megapixals (16x the resolution of 1080p).

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post
    you're saying we've moved past bluray, but i think what you mean is that we've moved past disc based video.
    Blu-ray is really just the format of the hard plastic disc. Yes, that's what I think is on its way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Blu-ray is really just the format of the hard plastic disc. Yes, that's what I think is on its way out.
    I pulled my disc based players out of my entertainment center. i use apple tv and wd live tv to play movies now. the days of the disc is definitely on the way out.

been out for years... my old laptop from several years back had an HDMI hook up
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

When it was still a crap-shoot as to who would win, I was convinced that HD-DVD would be the new standard. I payed around $600 for a player; could have paid about the same for BluRay, but figured it would go the way of Beta. I bought a few overpriced movies, too.

Well, needless to say I threw that money away. Damned technology...

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    When it was still a crap-shoot as to who would win, I was convinced that HD-DVD would be the new standard. I payed around $600 for a player; could have paid about the same for BluRay, but figured it would go the way of Beta. I bought a few overpriced movies, too.

Well, needless to say I threw that money away. Damned technology...
    Walmart will upconvert your standard DVDs to blu-ray quality Ultraviolet for $5 each. You can watch them on your iPad mini too.

The majority of what I watch is streaming online now. I lucked up and found a great website where a crap pile of stuff is loaded including most new movies before they even hit the shelves. It costs me exactly $0 to stream or even download and viruses and such aren't an issue.

My next plan is to buy a 3 or 4tb hard drive and back up every video on my pc, then copy all my dvds. I figure if I can back it up on one or two hard drives that I can probably sell the discs to free up space in the house and come out close to even on the external hard drives.

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    The majority of what I watch is streaming online now. I lucked up and found a great website where a crap pile of stuff is loaded including most new movies before they even hit the shelves. It costs me exactly $0 to stream or even download and viruses and such aren't an issue.

My next plan is to buy a 3 or 4tb hard drive and back up every video on my pc, then copy all my dvds. I figure if I can back it up on one or two hard drives that I can probably sell the discs to free up space in the house and come out close to even on the external hard drives.

I can't find anything to watch regardless of the tech? Garbage in, garbage out. At the duck shack we still have rabbit ears and about 5 local channels. Best thing since sliced bread! Turn it on, click through the channels, turn the stupid thing off and go and enjoy life.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post