Thread: custom slate calls

looking for a functional slate call. not one to put on a shelf...one to HUNT with.

are the mountain screamers slates as good as i have heard they are?

i am looking for one i can order over the net.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Check your pm
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

The aluminum kind seem to get them going pretty good. I think all that hoopla about the high frequency sounds from aluminium calls making the turkeys gobble more is pretty accurate.

I found this? some calls for 2th Doc....maybe?

thanks for the link, [img]graemlins/afro.gif[/img]

i just went to www.woodhavencustomcalls.com and ordered a cherry aluminum. their calls are in cabela's and bass pro, too, but not the aluminum ones. i will let y'all know what i think when i get it in. one good thing about ordering from woodhaven is getting to talk to an actual person who takes your order. i just have this thing for customer service....and i am tired of having to choose "english" or "spanish" before i start...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Let us know how they sound. I am in the market for a good slate myself. I will use a slate 99% of the time when I have a good one...

You are welcome ******.

I'm a bit of a clutz on a slate call myself. [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Damn man... all this talk, I'll have to pull out some calls to play with.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I am a Turkey Killer first and a call collector second.

That said, any call you can buy at Cabela's, Bass Pro etc ain't custom.

FWIW, Woodhaven sucks. They are known for calls having to be sent in and rebuilt for losing "that sound".....

Custom is when you call the maker and order your call from him to your specs. Have the callmaker sign and personalize to you.

I will be at the NWTF Convention in Nashville next week to see and buy some more for my collection.(and to hunt with)

That said, if you want a "custom" slate call here are a few of my picks-

Russell Lynch- Pauline,SC "Bud and Betty Calls"- he will get you a call before season starts.
    (864)574-5623

Darrin Dawkins-Rock Hill,SC wonderful quality calls, long wait list- (803)366-3305

Joe Vaughn- Vaughn's Custom calls-Dublin,GA (912)868-6082

Whoever you order from, a Custom call will sound like a Hen turkey for years to come. The difference of production and custom sound may seem slight, but I promise an old Gobbler can tell the difference.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Opinions are like... Nitro; do you own a Woodhaven? I have an aluminium one that is 5-6 years old and it is the best friction I have ever heard period.

I'm sure that all callmakers strive to be in the big catologs... I have not picked up one of his newer models, but have referred probably a hundred people to him and never heard anything but praises for the calls, and thanks for the referral.
    Will Rogers

The best way to get a good turkey call is to go to something like the Sportsman's Classic, or the NWTF Convention and try a plethora. I'd recommend stopping at the Camp Calls booth and checking out their box calls.

S&A,

I did have a Woodhaven Aluminum. Went "Flat" and came unglued about 3 weeks after I bought it. They suck from quality of materials and workmanship to shitty customer service. Ain't just my opinion, read around on the net. (If it works for you , great...They screwed me once.)

Replaced it with a Dawkins Aluminum call . $75.00 and it will call the spurs off of one......

About a one year wait sadly. I have access to a ohm meter. High pitch is where it's at with turkey calls. Dawkin's call is the highest I've ever tested. It screams.

I will be happy to write a "on the scene" post about the NWTF convention if yall want. I will be spending the weekend with Steve Mann and some other SC callmakers I call friends and hunting partners.

Ghetto, if you did not know, Doug Camp died in July ,2004 from Cancer. If you buy a Camp call dated after 7-04 it was obviously built by someone else.

I am privileged to own a bunch of calls built in Doug's shop and to have hunted with him a few times. He called a nice Longbeard in for me outside Evergreen ,AL in 1995. He was a Turkey expert.

AG
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

last year at the classic Swamp Things had a really excellent sounding. look on marks web site i think thay have them on their
    \"i bet that thing sure is pretty\"

Do that... from the convention. I want you to learn so much that you will not have an excuse when we go 3/15
    Will Rogers

Tony Renyolds makes a great sounding call. He is from some where around greenwood. He is at the classic. Went school with tony good guy.
    Sut

S&A,

You have my number. I have one guest for opening week and may as well make it two. I will be hunting every day until 4-1-05, going to Costa Rica for 5 days after that.

Steve Mann will probably be in camp after 3-17-05.

Crabs, Tony Reynolds is a good guy. I own several of his calls. He and I have hunted and killed birds together.

FWIW- Sadly, he is "unreachable" and several notable folks are wanting to "get in touch" with him regarding "accounts receivable" the last number I have for him is disconnected.

Let me know if you can reach him.( I want another Carolina Long Box)

AG
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I agree with Nitro. Get you a good custom made slate. In my opinion custom made calls are far superior to mass production calls, though many turks have been killt with the latter.

I have a Reynolds call or two and like them a LOT! Not sure what is going on with that boy. In Earl Mickles book he explains that Tony could be one of the best call makers to come along. Earl's concern though seemed to be Tony's dedication to the craft. Maybe Tony has moved on to other interest.

You may also want to check Ebay. There are usually some very good custom slates sold there.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Toof I have a mountian and a crystal screamer you can try
    More fuel = more boost!!