Thread: Garmin 60csx

Default Garmin 60csx

Since i was a part of the crew that lost a dude in the swamp this weekend, Im on a mission to get my GPS issue figured out. I run it with the map in the track up orientation, however it frequently just stops orientating itself that way, in fact it will act bass ackwards which can get confusing as hell. Seems to do it a realy slow speeds which as you can imagine makes it worse while in the swamp. Im hoping its a setting issue, anyone else have this issue with this same or other garmin unit?

yep, I have the same issue and it is so annoying. I don't know how to fix it.

Might be obvious and not the answer but mine was doing something similar. Calibrate the compass if you have not done so recently. Of course it it also important that the gps be orientied parallel to the ground just like you would hold a compass when you are moving slowly.

I have had a similar problem with mine (much older version).

Turns out if the WAAS is enabled the unit goes haywire. Once I figured that out it was GTG.

I don't know if that is your problem but it may be something worth looking into.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

WASS is enabled. Been doing some reading on some of the geocaching sites and the consensous seems to be run it in the north up mode. I guess what is happeing is the gps has a feature that when you get below a certain speed for a certain length of time the digital compass takes over. This is where it starts to get conflicting info between the satelites and the compass. Some say recal the compass often, some say turn the compass off. Will try with the WASS off, not sure how much if any acuracy the WASS adds anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rmjel View Post
    Might be obvious and not the answer but mine was doing something similar. Calibrate the compass if you have not done so recently. Of course it it also important that the gps be orientied parallel to the ground just like you would hold a compass when you are moving slowly.

From what I understand this is only true if running with the compass on. Dont see why you would have to have it flat all the time when they make cradels to run these things in your car. Sounds like the issue is with running the unit at slow speeds, the compass takes over, and starts screwing up the map orientation.

scmoose, how much have you used the GPS?

mainly just use it in the swamp. I have used it at the hunt club to find way point and in the military but seems to work decent when I type in grid coordinates and tell it to bring me there, but it seems that it has screwed up when I stop moving then get going again.

In my experience, they all get weird when you stop moving. Best thing i can tell you is to keep moving in the general direction you think you should be going. When i'm walking with my garmin 76cx, i flip between the map screen and the compass. I probably use the compass 70% of the time though. I use "track up" orientation. I just dont like North up.

The faster you are moving, the more accurate it is. When you start slowing down to 3 mph or slower the compass will sometimes jump all over the place.

Have you updated it lately? You can do that on the garmin site.

I havnt and need too. Also read that when you put a new set of batteries in you need to re calibrate the compass. Also going back to what rmjel was saying. The unit was set up that below 10mph for 90 sec, the electronic compass kicks in, seeing as that the unit is usualy in my hand or in a ram mount, its no longer level, which it needs to be in the compass mode. Ive set up so that the compass never turns on. Based on some of these geocachers, this is how alot of them run it. When they start moving again, the satelites kick in and straightens everything out. Well see what happens next time.
    Last edited by scmoose; 03-31-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Default Garmin 60csx

WAAS is more of a NAV tool for aircraft, it will make your GPS more accurate in open area's, you can go to Garmins website they have an article on it.

I have the 76csx, you can always use the track back mode as long as you stay on your line you should be close.

I think I still have every track we have made in the past few years going thru that swamp weather it was day or night, I hate that I missed the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.