Thread: The Big Six

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Here they are, all six of them. To take all six in one season is beyond a doubt most every turkey hunter's dream. More details on the eastern and the other 5 sub-species here-->The Wild turkey

Eastern--Meleagris gallopavo silvestris

The eastern wild turkey is the most populous of the five distinct subspecies found in the United States and can be found throughout the eastern United States and has been transplanted to some western states as well. L.J.P. Vieillot first described and named the eastern subspecies in 1817 using the word silvestris, meaning "forest" turkeyThe Eastern Wild Turkey inhabits the eastern half of the U.S., and can be found in hardwood and mixed forests from New England and southern Canada to northern Florida. The western boundary of their range extends from east Texas up through eastern Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska and then on into Minnesota. It has also been transplanted to California, Oregon, Washington, and Ontario, Canada and other areas west of the Rocky Mountains.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule葉o all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Rio Grande Wild Turkey -Meleagris gallapavo intermedia

The Rio Grande wild turkey is native to the semi-arid areas of the southern Great Plains states: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Northeastern Mexico. It received its common name from the Rio Grande River, which is the water supply bordering the brushy scrub, arid country of some of its prime range in western Texas and northeastern Mexico. This subspecies was first described by George B. Sennett in 1879 who said it was intermediate in appearance between the eastern and western subspecies, hence its scientific name, Meleagris Gallapavo Intermedia.
    Originally existing in the millions, this turkey had depleted to extremely low numbers by 1920. Formal programs involving trapping and transplanting were initiated in the 1930's and today it exists over much of its ancestral range. Texas has the most Rio Grandes with a population estimated at over 600,000 birds.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule葉o all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Gould's Wild Turkey - Meleagris gallopavo mexicana

The least known of the five wild turkey subspecies is the Gould's or Mexican wild turkey. It is a turkey found in the mountains of northern Mexico with a few in the U.S. in portions of Arizona and New Mexico along the Mexico / U.S. border. It was first described by J. Gould in 1856 during his travels in Mexico and aptly named for him. The Gould's turkey has the largest body frame of any of the five North American subspecies. It has longer legs, larger feet, and larger center tail feathers than other wild turkey. White tips on the tail feathers and tail coverts, which usually separate to exhibit an "eyelash" appearance, distinguish Gould�s from other turkeys.

Ocellated Wild Turkey - Agriocharis ocellata

The Ocellated Turkey, called Cutz by the Maya, is a wild bird similar to the domestic turkey. It has never been domesticated and has even survived the radical transformation of its habitat. The Ocellated Turkey is a game bird appreciated for its flavor and its wide, tender breast. It is large enough to feed an entire family and in some areas has been over-hunted; though fortunately, that is not the case everywhere. The Ocellated Turkey has tail feathers with the green-blue 'eyespots' edged in a metallic bronze color, from which its name is derived (ocelli or 'eye' in Latin). In addition to red warts, the blue head of the male bird sports a fleshy, drooping protuberance that is reddish-orange in color. The Ocellated turkey lacks the tuftlike beard found on the chest of male and some females of the common wild turkey found in the U.S. but does have very impressive spurs. Its body weight is much smaller than the birds in the U.S. with males averaging about 12 lbs. and females 6-7 lbs.

Merriam's Wild Turkey - Meleagris gallopavo merriami

The Merriam's wild turkey is found primarily in the ponderosa pine, western mountain regions of the United States. Within its suspected historic range in Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado, the Merriam's was relatively isolated from the other subspecies of wild turkey. Current evidence supports the hypothesis that it was a relative newcomer to western American wildlife when the Europeans discovered it. It was named by Dr. E.W. Nelson in 1900 in honor of C. Hart Merriam, the first chief of the U.S. Biological Survey.

Osceola Wild Turkey - Meleagris gallapovo osceola

The Florida (aka Osceola) Wild Turkey, meleagris gallopavo osceola, was named after a famous Seminole Indian Chief of the early 1800's by W.E.D. Scott in his 1890 description of the bird. They are a unique and highly sought after subspecies of the wild turkey since they are found only on the Florida peninsula. There are approximately 80,000 Osceola turkeys roaming the southern portions of Florida today.

I would love to see the pics but I get a red X
    Rivets Rule

Well that sux, I can't get them now either! I'll find some somewhere else and post'em or you can go to the link in the first post and look at them there.

At this point i cant chase all six in one year, but if things work out I will be in florida this spring chasing part 2