Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orion Boston Butts

Default Orion Boston Butts

19.55 lbs cooked for 5.5 hours. Cooked fat side down with mayo on the rubbed in on the meat and then cavender's greek seasoning on the mayo.

"...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

The bone never lies.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Looks damn good!
    Reality is only an illusion
    that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post

......Some of you guys are fastidious and choosy to the point of near faggotry.

Mayonnaise. That's a new one. How was it? Fat cap down is the fad these days. It will cause a serious grease fire over coals or burners if baffles aren't in place, but the Orion is the great equalizer. It looks good!

I think the mayo kept it more moist and wouldn't let it dry out, since the orion keeps re-circulating the heat from the bottom to the top and back around. I definitely would do it again.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

Mookie?

Default Orion Butts

Did you have to re-coal?

How many bags of coal is a better question.

Quote Originally Posted by RazMaTaz View Post
    Did you have to re-coal?
    Yes, I put more coals at about the three hour mark because I had to leave to go get beer. I filled up a Weber chimney starter when I put new coals out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    How many bags of coal is a better question.
    I filled up the top and bottom to start and then filled up the top again. I put this amount of charcoal in the bottom:

If you're going to be in the Orion Posse you need to learn the following: the only way to answer a coal question is with the number of bags used.....1 bag, 1.5 bags, etc. Tighten up.

And don't cop and attitude with me. (get it? Cop....)

Anyway, Skrimple will be along shortly to assist you with your units of measure. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAP Hunter View Post
    Yes, I put more coals at about the three hour mark because I had to leave to go get beer. I filled up a Weber chimney starter when I put new coals out.
    Gotcha - I have done several butts on mine but they have all been smaller - they look great - nice job!

If you're going to be in the Orion Posse you need to learn the following: the only way to answer a coal question is with the number of bags used.....1 bag, 1.5 bags, etc. Tighten up.
    And don't cop and attitude with me. (get it? Cop....)
    Yeah I get it but I was Orion cool before Orion's were cool. Get it. On another thought do you have any sod for sell and can you beat Feetdown's price.

Quote Originally Posted by RazMaTaz View Post
    Gotcha - I have done several butts on mine but they have all been smaller - they look great - nice job!
    The most I have cooked is two that were 23lbs total. I figure it at about 19 minutes a pound and the bone fall out of practically.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAP Hunter View Post
    Yeah I get it but I was Orion cool before Orion's were cool. Get it. On another thought do you have any sod for sell and can you beat Feetdown's price.
    OK now that's just hateful as hell right there.....

Chimney, huh? Hmmmm. I've only ever dumped a portion of a 2nd bag ( :futayter: ) straight to the existing coals. You're using something other than Matchlight, I take it.

Gonna do (2) 8 1/2 lb boneless shoulders Friday. I've been going about 4 1/2 hrs, but I think this go-round, I'm gonna try to overcook 'em and go 5 1/2. With the cooker generating steam from the drippings, it's damn near impossible to overcook something in the Orion.

Can't see the pics at work, but I'm sure it was tasty. And this is the first I've heard of the mayo rub - other than Glenn talking about his weekend.
    Last edited by Simple Man; 03-12-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

i aint never seen a 20lb butt. damn.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Good lookin meat right there!
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.