Thread: Mountain Area Hunt Unit Around Jocassee

Anybody hunt here? I've seen bears from the boat but never turkeys though I know there are plenty. Seems like it would be hell treking up and down ridges looking for birds
    Jesco White is an American Hero.

When I lived in Seneca, I was hell on em up there.

It is rough country. If you can walk far enough to get away from the roads, there are plenty of birds up there.

The fact that it is a gorgeous place to hunt is a nice bonus.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Pack a lunch and do an all day trip. Take a camelbak you'll need the water from the hills. I hunted the mountains last year and I'll give em a good once over this year when it warms up.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Ive hunted there once from a boat and didnt hear one gobble but many owls. I have riden on the ATV trails i have run into a lot of Turkeys. The hills up there kicked my fat ass when i went turkey hunting and i had to give up.

what about a little strategy for the mountain birds? Hunting in the lower state i usually stick to swampy areas and oak bottoms? I guess I'm just wondering about there habits here compared to other places. What about access roads?

anyone ever see any bears whie hunting up this way?

The bears won't bother you, just let 'em know you're there in plenty of time; they don't like to be startled [img]smile.gif[/img] You have to hunt those birds with a bit of an attitude since they're fond of working your ass. Scouting is exponentially more important up there than where you're used to hunting. It takes some time to figure out there ways, but once you get it you can hammer 'em on a consistent basis if you're up to it...it's not a lazy man's game.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Also get you a good rod tube and pack in a fly rod! If you're gonna hike into that are you may as well take advantage of all it has to offer. I don't know about the Jocassee area but I've been thinking about doing a hike in fishing & turkey hunt up on the Eastatoe.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

On deer hunts this past season on private land near this area I had 6 walk up on me. One was a very large bruin that I am going to try and wack this next bear season. But over all they seem like they could cause some serious damage. I had to get out of were i was set up on ground because they were a little too close for comfort.