Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody want to try this??

'07 Spring Turkey Contest SIGNUP THREAD!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the rules

1.Photo of bird must be posted before it can be a valid entry...

2.Everyone is allowed to enter ONLY 1 bird,,,So before you enter your turkey make sure that is the turkey you want to enter in this contest...

3.Must give a detailed description of your bird,,Beard length,,Left and right Spur lengths,,and weight.......

4.Scoring will be done by the calculator on the NWTF web page http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html ,,,Round the weight off to the nearest pound that way a standard scale can be used to weigh your bird,,If a bird is killed with multiple beards measure each beard and add the lengths together,,,You must score the birds yourself........Total score will be rounded off so we will have even scores (Examples 38.467 = 38,,,,,,,26.765 = 27)

6.Contest will run from April 1st through May 1st.....

7.You will need to post your kill in the Gobblers Roost thread...

8.Gun and bow kills this year will be the same score........

9.Be honest about your entry,,,Remember this contest is just for fun........

This could be a bad Idea but thought it could be fun....If you guys want to perticipate we will start April 1st. Feel free to give suggestions on tweeking the rules a little bit.

sounds like a good idea to me, i'm in. Don't know bout the 50% off for gun kills this will be my first year attempting a bow kill but this will give me the extra push to leav the old 870 at home and take the bow to the woods.

Since the season starts March 15 in some areas and ends May 11 here, you will have to tweak those rules some. Instead of penalizing gun kills, do a seperate bow category. Is Luthi's in for a few prizes?

Im with Jab on this one. Only a few bowhunt and I would bet the majority gun hunt's. Have a seperate category or keep the two combined without any penalty for choice of weapon.
    TEAM CODY!<br />\"No intelligent man can live in the great outdoors without being compelled to believe that there is an overrulling power.\"<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.boykinrescue.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.boykinrescue.org</a>

see i was thinking just starting it on april 1st and ending it may 1st so that way the whole state can hunt, ya know....also we can take away the 50% gun kill thing if you want to....any suggestions are great, but lets get it figured out before the 15th i guess, i think this would be fun!

yeah luthi's just said we can throw in a woodhaven glass call! cherry cystal. so lets get this thing rolling guys!

I like the april 1st start. Like you, it gives everybody even the upstate guy's the same start date.

Have you thought about a small contest for the youth day hunt? A one day deal for all the kids who hunt the special youth day hunt. I like the season contest for the adults but figure the kids would get a bigger kick out of it than us. Not trying to complicate things just an idea.
    TEAM CODY!<br />\"No intelligent man can live in the great outdoors without being compelled to believe that there is an overrulling power.\"<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.boykinrescue.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.boykinrescue.org</a>

Originally posted by JABIII:
    Since the season starts March 15 in some areas and ends May 11 here
    where does it end may 11??
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I think he means up yonder in NC.

I ain't too sure about the ONE bird thing. At best, that's going to make everyone wait until the end of the season to enter their best, isn't it? It would be better to see the "leader board" develop and change during the season. Otherwise, everyone will be "sort of" doing that anyway. Why can't you just enter them all. One person might earn up to five different places that way.

Also, let's not drop any decimal points. Come to think of it, weight has always been a poor turkey measure. The purer-the-strain, the lighter-the-weight, some would say. I would just use the beard and spur measurements. I don't reckon that point will pass, though.

GOT to be separate gun and bow divisions or might as well just post it on a bowhunting forum. No reason not to start it earlier, is there? Gonna be hard to leave it until May 15, though, with just about everyone's season ending two weeks earlier. Maybe a separate NC division?

Thanks Johnson and thanks LUTHI'S for pitching in as usual.

Rules Committee will be myself, Johnson, and Duckman #1.

We will have something in a few days. I have some swag I can donate towards 2nd or 3rd place...

Listen start the contest on April 1st end May 1st and go by the NWTF scoring thing on their website. And about posting your biggest bird...that has to be up to you, I mean if you think you have killed the biggest bird your going to kill the first few days of the season you might want to post it....but I know what you mean, this is probably going to be confusing the first year but lets try it for sure! Well just make the rules, that if you kill with a bow or shotgun its the same....lets just make it about the bird and not how its taken if that cool with yall.

As far as the youth day thing, Im all for that. I will give away a B-Mobile turkey decoy for the youth guys but we need a picture of the bird and the kid and the score, I just don't want any kid to get dissapointed ya know, I mean its his or her first bird the youth deal my not be such a good idea b/c of the fact it could take away from the excitment of his or her kill...but then again it would be cool to win a prize....I don't know, you guys figure it out and I am willing to do some prizes for whatever. This will be fun.

I just hope we get some great stories and pics again this year. The warm weather and a few sneezes this morning is starting to make the count down feel like the real deal.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I believe the season will start on 3/31 this year since the first falls on a sunday? Right or wrong?

right
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Me and JABIII just have been talking, we will get all the contest stuff together here in the next few days!

when is the Youth Day if the season starts on the 31st???
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

i think its the 24th toofer

The 24th

I've been on these boards about six years now and that's the first time I've been right about anything!
    I deserve a prize just for that.