Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: paelo diet

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    Yes I do -

The day I started paleo my BP was 183 / 130 something. My BP now hovers around 110-115 / 70-75.

Pre -
    Total Cholesterol = 192
    Triglycerides = 83
    HDL = 56
    VLDL Cholesterol = 17
    LDL Cholesterol Calc = 119
    LDL / HDL Ratio = 2.1

Post -
    Total Cholesterol = 172
    Triglycerides = 89
    HDL = 61
    VLDL Cholesterol = 18
    LDL Cholesterol Calc = 93
    LDL / HDL Ratio = 1.5

This was 1 year between labs.
    The proof is in the pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    The proof is in the pudding.
    Actually, in skipping the pudding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

good stuff, all. I am only being annoying to spur debate on this subject. Again, I dont think you can have a discussion about healthy lifestyles without including aerobic exercise. I dont want people to miss the forest for the trees.

and I also tend to think that a healthy diet encompasses a lot of all that we are talking about. I have been told a very simple formula that many should start with before counting calories or following a strict diet: EAT LESS AND MOVE MORE.

another one that I like simply states: Eat fresh foods grown closer to home.

Both of those will get you closer to a healthy lifestyle than reading this forum.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I don't think you're being annoying. As you said, all you're doing is spurring a little debate that will lead to more knowledge for most of us.

I'm serious about my question regarding dipping. I ask because I have dipped in the past but have quit because of the long term ramifications. A dentist who dips leads me to believe maybe there's something I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    Actually, in skipping the pudding.
    liver pudding

liver pudding is a part of my diet.

tigerb--All I have is anecdotal evidence on dipping. I will start by saying it is a nasty habit that no one should partake in. Using smokeless tobacco can cause some issues in the mouth, whether its from the SUGAR in the dip or the recession caused by the abrasion of the tobacco in your lip. However, there is not as much evidence to support that the actual tobacco causes cancer. More evidence seems to be coming out that the cells become dysplastic due to the repetitive injury to the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You need to squat bro. Seriously. Put some weight on your back, drop it below parallel and move it up and down. A lot. The key to eliminating most pain created from a sedentary lifestyle isn't alleviated by becoming more sedentary. Get your ass moving some weight and those knees will be like "holy shit! Finally we're doing what we're designed to do!"
    I knew there were still a few people that attempted to squat, but I didn't know any were left that still squat below parallel. Admittedly, I thought I was a decent squatter until I met a gym owner (follows Westside method)that asked me about box squatting. I learned I couldn't even sit on a 12" box, let alone squat from one. I now drive 20 miles to squat once week at his place and hit the local gym the rest of the time to lift with the TRT pec-deck arm curl crowd. My squat still sucks, but at least I know what the posterior chain consist of now, with added flexibilty in my hip flexors, hamstring and shoulders. I have no knee or back pain after hitting parallel or below, unlike my previous narrow 3/4 squats that was all knees and quads.

I do not know the long term affects of cutting carbs, but I have lost 40# since November by cutting arbs except for backloading one day per week.

Last May I wanted to bench 300# on my 40th b-day, I missed 300 then, but eventually hit 315# in July and 325# on Labor Day. I was proud to hit a PR after a 15 year absence in the a gym. Afterwards looking the mirror the fat hanging over my belt zapped all that away. The realization that a PR on one exercise is useless when you are still a fatass. I decided then to start counting calories after 1 month I felt like crap with no energy, beginning in November I swithced to a ketosis diet and haven't looked back. I added in the real squats and deadlifts in Feburary then farmer walks and tire flipping this month.

I have no idea what I bench now since the weight loss and switching to dumbell presses (easier on my shoulders). I still have a long way to go bodyfat is still unexceptable, 5 chins up and 2 pull ups max sucks even if the compund lifts are adequate. I am in much better shape than one year ago. I think deads and deep squats have started to correct my desk jockey posture some.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 03-14-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    I knew there were still a few people that attempted to squat, but I didn't know any were left that still squat below parallel. Admittedly, I thought I was a decent squatter until I met a gym owner (follows Westside method)that asked me about box squatting. I learned I couldn't even sit on a 12" box, let alone squat from one. I now drive 20 miles to squat once week at his place and hit the local gym the rest of the time to lift with the TRT pec-deck arm curl crowd. My squat still sucks, but at least I know what the posterior chain consist of now, with added flexibilty in my hip flexors, hamstring and shoulders. I have no knee or back pain after hitting parallel or below, unlike with my narrow 3/4 squats that was all knees and quads.

I do not know the long term affects of cutting out carbs, but I have lost 40# since November cutting out carbs except for backloading them one day a week.

Last May I wanted to bench 300# on my 40 b-day, I missed 300 then, but hit 315# in July and 325# on Labor Day. I was proud to hit a PR after a 15 year absence in the a gym. But then looking the mirror the fat hanging over my belt zapped all that away. The realization that a PR on one exercise is useless when you are a fatass. I decided then to start counting calories after 1 month I felt like crap with no energy, beginning in November I swithced to a ketosis diet and haven't looked back. I added in the real squats and deadlifts in Feburary then farmer walks and tire flipping this month.

I have no idea what I bench now since the weight loss and switching to dumbell presses (easier on my shoulders). I still have a long way to go, 5 chins up and 2 pull ups max sucks. But I am much better off than one year ago. I think deads and deep squats have started to correct my desk jockey posture some.
    Good job BT - squating and deadlifting is where it's at!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

I'm just a dumb dirt mover....but, I know this...I eat meat...I eat fresh vegetables....I still drink my beer and bourbon....I work my old ass off at the gym....I'm not fat anymore.....and my wife bangs the daylights out of me again.....take it as you will.
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    good stuff, all. I am only being annoying to spur debate on this subject. Again, I dont think you can have a discussion about healthy lifestyles without including aerobic exercise. I dont want people to miss the forest for the trees.

and I also tend to think that a healthy diet encompasses a lot of all that we are talking about. I have been told a very simple formula that many should start with before counting calories or following a strict diet: EAT LESS AND MOVE MORE.

another one that I like simply states: Eat fresh foods grown closer to home.

Both of those will get you closer to a healthy lifestyle than reading this forum.
    You and I will never agree on grains. Period. And show me where anyone said avoid fresh veggies and just eat meat? I eat a shit load of vegetable and fruit based carbs along with animal protein in some form or another.

Grains, even whole grains, will still cause an insulin spike. Hyperinsulinemia causes cellular inflammation and that inflammation is the root of all of our modern day evils including heart disease and diabetes.

And YES exercise is a key to a healthy lifestyle. I just always assume that is a given. And to me eating a paleo diet isn't about weight. Weight is a side effect of being fit and healthy, which in my opinion should be the primary focus of any diet and exercise program. If I had my way I'd smash the fuck out of every scale in every house and gym. People tunnel vision on that number when a lot of people will actually GAIN weight once they start lifting and eating right and be led to believe they are doing something wrong despite being stronger, healthier and leaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You and I will never agree on grains. Period. And show me where anyone said avoid fresh veggies and just eat meat? I eat a shit load of vegetable and fruit based carbs along with animal protein in some form or another.

Grains, even whole grains, will still cause an insulin spike. Hyperinsulinemia causes cellular inflammation and that inflammation is the root of all of our modern day evils including heart disease and diabetes.

And YES exercise is a key to a healthy lifestyle. I just always assume that is a given. And to me eating a paleo diet isn't about weight. Weight is a side effect of being fit and healthy, which in my opinion should be the primary focus of any diet and exercise program. If I had my way I'd smash the fuck out of every scale in every house and gym. People tunnel vision on that number when a lot of people will actually GAIN weight once they start lifting and eating right and be led to believe they are doing something wrong despite being stronger, healthier and leaner.
    We wont agree on WHOLE grains....but, yes, people seem to think that its OK to eat meat...and lots of it. Its not. You assume the same about the exercise but people only hear "weight loss" and "eat fatty meat". You need to assume these people are idiots. You will be closer to the truth.

I think we agree on a whole lot more than we DISagree on.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    We wont agree on WHOLE grains....but, yes, people seem to think that its OK to eat meat...and lots of it. Its not. You assume the same about the exercise but people only hear "weight loss" and "eat fatty meat". You need to assume these people are idiots. You will be closer to the truth.

I think we agree on a whole lot more than we DISagree on.
    I don't like people knowing that I know you much less like you. Stop typing that shit out loud.

Print screen
    Open paint
    Paste
    Save as gum doc has man crush on doggy doc
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?