Thread: Gobbling

Heard a few birds at daylight this morning. Not much vocalization, but it is still early. Two more weeks...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I saw one flock of 17 beardless birds, within range of course, and 2 large birds with beards together at a distance. Then I had to work.

30 degrees and gobblin.....Must be Jakes
    More fuel = more boost!!

Bowing down to KRT's expertise, but I have killed em Gobblin, Struttin, etc in 30 degree weather ........... more than once.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Saw a group of about 15 longbeards and jakes this morning in a field on our land. Also saw three more longbeards this afternoon on the way home from school on a powerline boardering our property. I am ready to hear them but I am still glad they are not doing it yet. The longer they wait untill season opens the better it will be ,atleast i think.

In behind the plant at work I counted over 50 birds. In the middle of the flock there was 3 longbeards full strutt. I watched them most of the day. They stayed around back and forth. By the end of the day the gobblers were not strutting. It drives me crazy just watching them. And the worst thing about it is I CANT HUNT THEM.
    If I have to explain you would not understand! A turkey see's a stump and thinks it's a man a deer see's a man and thinks it's a stump.

tradorion Coots

SURE YA CAN!! Just lace those track shoes up REAL TIGHT and be ready to run like hell...

T

ps AND invite me along as a "witness" to the hunt

They gobble when it's cold
    She was long and lean every young mans dream

SAW SOME THIS MORNING AND TWO OF THEM WERE SHOWING OFF. CANT WAIT FOR APRIL
    ONE BAD DAY IN THE MARSH IS BETTER THAN ONE GOOD DAY AT WORK

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I've called in a lot of birds in cold weather. The most extreme was one morning when it was 25º! The bird gobbled early to an owl hoot. I set up on him and worked him in across a creek, he was gobbling steady. As soon as he flew across the creek he started strutting and drumming right up to 20 yds where I laid him to rest. It was a 19lb bird with 10½" beard and nice spurs. The only thing the cold affected that morning was me and my fingers, it sure didn't cool the bird off one bit! The 3" #6s cooled him off nicely though!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

how can you tell a difference in a tom's gobble and a jake's gobble? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I've got 13 gobblers on four different pieces of land between monck corner and ridgeville and everyone of them is making a lot of noise. the 15th ain't coming fast enough. good luck to everyone this season.

Originally posted by quack_kills:
    how can you tell a difference in a tom's gobble and a jake's gobble? [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Some times it is not easy. A jake usually sounds like he has a mouth full of marbles when he gobbles... kind of like he does not know when to cut it off.

We have all had birds come in making noise like the king of the hill... to find out they were young birds.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Ive seen alot of birds strutting the last few days. Hopefully this cool weather this week will calm them down for awhile.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

A really broken up gobble usually means a jake. An early born jake will have a full gobble.

thanks for the info sasha and call maker ..

tuesday should be perfect weather for opening day lows in the lower 30's and highs in the low 50's with clear skys, so hopefully i can get off from work around 4ish in the morning to make opening day...