Thread: Opening Day Reports

well...foggy as heck. Birds still gobbling their heads off. Had 3 in the trees on the wrong side of the creek. Messed with them till 6:30 and they flew down. Gave up and went looking. Had a jake within bow range but he wouldn't give me a shot. wet as heck out there. too bad i had to work. before this rain comes in, they have to be lookin for love...

anyone scored, yet?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

A friend of mine in Hartsville got a nice bird a few minutes ago.

Post up the pics of your Lowcountry longbeard in here. I'm going to have to get one of those digital cameras one of these days.

I didn't hear or see a darn thing.
    I'm just proud to be here.

Had to work. First opening day I have missed in many years. Work sucks!!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Had three birds gobbling in my daylight field. They were on the way to my two plastic decoys and one live hen that was between the deks. Two dogs cut across the field and all the birds hit the woods.

Second field, I called 7 jakes and 2 hens in. Where are all those friggin jakes I passed on this tract last year? Maybe they started trimming their beards...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

19 lbs.
    9"
    1"
    Saluda County
    Ducks Commander

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Two birds on the roost, one gobbled twice, the other once. Didn't fly down until 6:40 with the fog. Hit the ground and went hell bent for leather to a pasture off the property. 7:20 I stood up to try to relieve a leg cramp and while stretching my leg out a coyote came around a brush pile in the crouched position headed for my jake decoy. I threw the gun up and he wheeled around as I got the gun on him. Knocked his hind legs out from under him and rolled him over but he jumped back up and took off.

~9:00 I called a hen across the road behind me and she came up and checked me out.

Had to leave at 11:00 and as I walked past the pasture where the birds were headed this morning there was a longbeard strutting with a hen in the pasture. Other than that not much to it today.

Saw 1 hen while hunting.

Saw a lot of birds while driving between spots that were in the fields! I didn't hear anything this morning.

I did run over a a dumb ass Greenheaded white Mallard that just walked right out in front of me in the road while on my way to another spot for Turkeys!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Originally posted by LabLuvR:
    Had to work. First opening day I have missed in many years. Work sucks!!
    puss
    More fuel = more boost!!

Killed one opening morning at 9:30. Didnt hear many at all. Bird came in silent with two hens and laid him to rest at 35 yards. Have had to resort to all public land hunting this year seeing how coyotes have almost killed them off where I deer hunt. I roosted one Thur evening expecting to get him opening morning only to get there and someone already be there. Man you talking about mad. Luckily I did get one though. Looks like its going to be a long season in the public woods.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

this is the bird LCS put me on in the Lowcountry. He is the best turkey caller I have ever had the pleasure of hunting with....

20.3lbs. 10" beard. 1 1/8" spurs.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Toofer was that a bow kill?

Piedmont Hunt Club so far ........
    Fairfield County = 17 birds
    Kershaw County = 4 birds

My land in Barnwell Co has gave up no less then 5 birds so far.

Iv been on 4 hunts so far and have seen toms and heard gobbles on each and every hunt so far.
    Good Dogs- $600.00 <br />Dog Box- $350.00 <br />Old Truck- $4,000.00 <br />Hearing a pack of hounds chase Mr. Whitetail in the SC swamps - PRICELESS!!!<br /><br />I came out here to enjoy nature, dont talk to me about the environment

Damn LCS. Best caller ever! Maybe we should have let you do the calling our morning down there. Nice bird 2th. I got three so far. One on public. He was 16lbs. 10" and 1 1/4" spur. One hell of a bird for the govt. Four year old. Now I think for the last two days that I have been hunting gay birds. Damn things don't give a shit about my calling, or the sounds of two live hens. They are only gobbling at each other. Fucking Faggots! I'm thinking about shooting one w/ the crossbow for the hell of it.

btw,
    LCS,
    You get the # for the mustang yet? Or price?