Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Trumpets

One of the Sentells was an Ivory Convertible.. It played real well..

Alan has evidently fallen on hard times again. Word is, He may never get back into callmaking. That is a shame.. He, Tony Reynolds and Joe Vaughn are some of the great callmakers that have self imploded....
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    He's a one a kind man, that mold was deff broken with him. I do love that old man.
    Me too. You missed a hell of a good morning.. We can re-schedule around you for next time.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    One of the Sentells was an Ivory Convertible.. It played real well..

Alan has evidently fallen on hard times again. Word is, He may never get back into callmaking. That is a shame.. He, Tony Reynolds and Joe Vaughn are some of the great callmakers that have self imploded....
    Joe Vaughn was a pot call pioneer. He had the "new" sound years ahead of the others. Love your story about him and the wife. I damn sure love his pots. Got 8 or 9. That sucker could kee kee like crazy. He likes his booze though.

Allen had posted up his equipment was stolen. He had said he was gonna have some surgery and move back to GA. He is still making calls, to my knowledge. I saw where a guy got two about two months back from him that he made to order. I saw that ivory. Pretty sweet. One to the back left almost looked like a Danny Wells.

We got to hit him up again in October. Try to make my annual mountain/apple picking trip. Hopefully that ironwood and ivory will be ready for pick up. Did he really get rid of his stabilized Osage?
    Last edited by Savduck; 06-24-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Ricky,

Jamey was ready to give you some fly casting lessons... (for free)...

F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Del, Thanks for remembering. Joe is a human being. Flawed. Still a good man. I may be headed to Glennville soon. I will stop in McRae and look him up.. Joe has a set of 2" spurs somewhere from a Georgia bird he killed years back.

I like him immensely. Only guy I have seen run a pot call better is Scott Wilhelm ( one handed anyway)..

Quote Originally Posted by Savduck View Post
    Joe Vaughn was a pot call pioneer. He had the "new" sound years ahead of the others. Love your story about him and the wife. I damn sure love his pots. Got 8 or 9. That sucker could kee kee like crazy. He likes his booze though.

Allen had posted up his equipment was stolen. He had said he was gonna have some surgery and move back to GA. He is still making calls, to my knowledge. I saw where a guy got two about two months back from him that he made to order. I saw that ivory. Pretty sweet. One to the back left almost looked like a Danny Wells.

We got to hit him up again in October. Try to make my annual mountain/apple picking trip. Hopefully that ironwood and ivory will be ready for pick up. Did he really get rid of his stabilized Osage?
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Ricky,

Jamey was ready to give you some fly casting lessons... (for free)...

Hahahaha

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

McRae and look him up.. Joe has a set of 2" spurs somewhere from a Georgia bird he killed years back.
    McRae? Oh hell no y'all didn't!?!?! Das near home right chonder

I know where there is a 1 7/8" spur off a GA bird

Del, Thanks for remembering. Joe is a human being. Flawed. Still a good man. I may be headed to Glennville soon. I will stop in McRae and look him up.. Joe has a set of 2" spurs somewhere from a Georgia bird he killed years back.

I like him immensely. Only guy I have seen run a pot call better is Scott Wilhelm ( one handed anyway)..
    One of the best pot calls I have ever run was made by Joe. He stopped by the booth at the nationals several years ago, I think it may have been in Atlanta, and I ran a few pots he was carrying around. He had a crystal call that would flat rock and roll. I got a job going on right now just a few miles from McRae...small world.

Quote Originally Posted by SCtrkyhntr1 View Post
    One of the best pot calls I have ever run was made by Joe. He stopped by the booth at the nationals several years ago, I think it may have been in Atlanta, and I ran a few pots he was carrying around. He had a crystal call that would flat rock and roll. I got a job going on right now just a few miles from McRae...small world.
    Joe made first class crystal calls before others knew what it was. One of my favorite pots by him is a bocote crystal double sider. Slate on the bottom, crystal on top. He used a piece of sand stone as the tone board. Got a walnut crystal over corian thats screams too.

He actually moved from McRae to. Richmond Hill Ga and disappeared for a while, then went back to. McRae. He showed up to some shows about 4 years ago with a new line of calls, but that didn't last. I havent seen him at any shows. Ive heard rumors he still builds a few. Id love to see him come back. He can build and run a call, and is a great guy just to talk turkey with.
    Last edited by Savduck; 06-25-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Never cared much for trumpets.

And... Trombone payers have more fun.

T.
    William Gettys Smart
    1830-1906
    Company A
    49th NC Infantry
    CSA

Remember....

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=12958647

My trumpet collection doubled today with the addition of a Buice Mesquite. It is #4 of 7 that Will had made. On the left is a Koa that a fine gentleman gave me.

Wonder why I picked #4?

After this day I wanted #2...

Since it was spoken for, I altered my number...
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Nice.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

yes sir. Very nice.

After seeing all this I couldn't help myself. I ordered (2) today for Mr Buice. Very nice man.

Money well spent..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    My trumpet collection doubled today with the addition of a Buice Mesquite. It is #4 of 7 that Will had made. On the left is a Koa that a fine gentleman gave me.

Wonder why I picked #4?

After this day I wanted #2...

Since it was spoken for, I altered my number...

Beautiful calls! I am sure you will put them to good use!

Sent from the Strut Zone
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

You don't have to own over a hundred trumpets to know how to run one and kill the shit out of turkeys with them.
    Know that.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles