Thread: Another New Call Book

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Picked this up from another forum:
    Hi everyone...
    I know that word is leaking around, so here is the straight scoop. I am a writer here in Jacksonville, FL, and I am working on a new book covering Custom Turkey Call makers. Volume 1 will be covering the Southeast: Florida, Georgia, North and South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee. I am concentrating on those custom makers, mostly of box and paddle calls, that are making their calls by hand for hunting. Nothing wrong with art, but I am interested in working products.

I am conducting interviews now. I have spoken with Lamar Williams, Bob Harwell (SC) and others so far, and I am building my list.

This book will be a bit different from the Mickel and Harlan books. First, it won't be currently out of print! More importantly, I am interviewing the makers in depth as to their call making philosophy, process, attitudes and ideas about calls, etc. I want this to be more of an introduction to each of these men and women as people and makers rather than a simple catalog listing.

The book will contain interviews and photos along with contact information on each maker. The proposal is in the publisher's hands right now, and I am awaiting contract details. I hope the book will be available by Fall of 2005. No idea on cost yet, but hope to have readers AND signed limited hardcovers available.

Please let me know if you know a maker that you think should be included, and please provide contact information for yourself and for the maker. A bit of background about the maker (ie: taught Neil Cost how to make calls, etc.. ) would be helpful as I contact these folks.

ESPECIALLY let me know if the person may be in poor health. I know we lost Doug Camp this summer, and I wish I had gotten a chance to speak with him about his calls. I don't know enough to know if his loss was expected, but that is a consideration since some of our call makers are older folks (not to be morbid).

I am open to input and welcome any information folks can provide.

I can be contacted at jim-crosby@comcast.net or by telephone at 904-476-7655 or 904-725-7696.

Thanks.
    904-725-7696
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Got the new Neil Cost book from Longcreek press yesterday and it is impressive. Neil must have been a great guy to be around, seems he injected humor into all aspects of his life.