Thread: Without any calling, Why do Gobblers .......

...twix Mar 1st & May 1st....Gobble their heads off on certain days and not at all on others?
    Have heard all kinds of guessing, but does any one have any thing they swear by?

Like "Low Barometric Pressure = no gobbles?????? Most times!" or whatever!

Also, guess it would apply to when you are calling too? If he ain't talking today, he ain't talking today.
    But, He still will come sometimes!
    Usually, when you least expect it!!!!!!!

OH: Any body EVER had any luck in the FOG??????
    Getting them to gobble? OR, coming to you????
    [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Reloading is one of the few times in life when it pays to allow yourself to be truly paranoid!

"Y'all be safe out there"
    NRA Lifer 1970

It is the strange way of the "Tom Turkey"!!!!!!! No clue to why they do and don't but they are some strange birds!! Sly too!
    Good to talk, see you out there!

As far as the gobble thing... sometimes they do sometimes they don't... bustsomeducks hit the nail on the head, "it's the way of the Tom Turkey!!!".

I've had pretty good success in the fog. Last March 15th I was guiding a hunt in Orangeburg and it was rainy and foggy. I spotted the birds a couple hundred yards off in the field. I was watching them through my binocs and could see them stick their heads out and gobble, but couldn't hear 'em. Fog deadens the sound pretty bad. I called a bird in from that exact same spot later in the season and could hear him gobble the whole time (only gobbled 4 times). First he gobbled from about 250 and I could hear it... all the way to his last gobble at about 25 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    I had a sales guy lock my keys in my truck on a friday afternoon at 5 pm...and told me to call a locksmith. i almost knocked his teeth out.
    Columbia DU Volunteer & member / supporter of Delta and FF

Originally posted by Treeclimber:

Any body EVER had any luck in the FOG??????
    Getting them to gobble? OR, coming to you????
    [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Bug...

I've killed them in the fog plenty. Usually, they stay in the trees a little later because of the lack of visibility.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

tradorion Coots

Bug- don't believe it- i have seen Sushi in action... with a veritable multitude of turkeys in and around him.... all he could do was sit there and babble...

but the boy can sell icecubes to eskimo's so whenever you meet him keep one hand on the family jewels and the other on your wallet and you should come out OK.

T

ps- Hey Sushi- is it too late to book my Great Return Hunt with you? I need another giggle!

Bug killed a very nice one that I called in the fog one morning. It was so thick, we could not see him until it was in range. Bug flat rolled his ass though.

Yeah trad, you need to bring your bow this year - we got them thick.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

The birds never gobble where Sasha hunts, he shoots all their larynxes out so they can't gobble and other hunters can't find'em and whack'em. He wasn't satisfied with shooting the beards off! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Not related to fog but when I was deer hunting in Wi this past November, ther was a rather crisp morning and the Tom's were gobbling like crazy. I thought it odd that it was cold weather in November and they were gobbling. I guess it is just the way of the Tom.
    Rivets Rule

No rules per say, as BSD stated.. unperdictable. I can say that i don't recall ever having a silent morning with a dark night, warm air (50,s) and calm winds.

I do know that a bird will gobble his ass of the next morning on the roost if he gets some the eveining before, within an hour or so of fly up. I have watched them breed and been back the next morning probably about 20 times over the years. The Tom is ALWAYS going fool when that happens.

Saw a big Tom strutting with hens in Anderson this week. Won't be long.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

Maybe they subconsciously gobble more when there is something to look forward too that morning. Like a pretty clear day of breedin'...getting themselves primed...who knows... [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

A lot of gobbling is usually accompanied by a lot of breeding on the same day. If you nailed every girl, on the block, you'd be silent the day after, also.
    Note that when there is a lot of gobbling, both roost and on the ground, that the next day is always silent.
    Low pressures effect all the animals/birds, not just turkeys....
    ...I`d like to go to heaven, but I`ve gotten use to hanging with this crowd...

We had a bird that would gobble 700 to 800 times a morning while in the tree and only a few times on the ground. I know that doesn't sound believable, but I personally counted 730 to 740 one morning from him. "Sore Mouth" was his name. I don't know what it is, baro pressure or something else, but you can tell when you get out of the truck to how good the birds might be letting lose that day. The crispness in the air is what I call it.