Thread: fly rod help?

What weight fly rod do I need/want for bream busting and bass assasnations with a popping bug, etc?

Any good links on the www?

4 weight for brim and small bass is fine however a 7 weight is more advised if you are after big bass. You can catch big bass with a 4 but you have to fight them a bit more. If you are just getting started I hear TOOFER is a ROOKIE, hook up with him and you can watch him make mistakes and learn from him what not to do.
    Kill em all, let the dog sort em out!

I would go with a 5wt, it's stiff enough for bass and light enough for bream.

It's going to be mainly titty breamst on a popping bug, but there are a ton of 1-3lb bass that I normally target with baby torpedos that'll probably hit the popper, too.

If the (few and far between) 8+ lb fish hit the popper, I'll smile when the fish break my tippet.

I've got an old-school rod, but don't care much for the action, plus it's got an old "automatic" style real on it.... kind of like a wind up toy with a lever for pulling in your stipped line.

If its titty bream a 4wt is plenty, and you can pull all the 5lb bass you want in with a 4 also.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

The size of the fly rod is not determined by the size of the fish you want to catch but rather the size of the flies you need to cast. A 4 wt isn't made for throwing a giant bass bug or even a large bream popper. 4 wts are used to sling microscopic dry flies the size of mosquitoes.

Get a good light 7 or 8 wt so you can throw whatever you want. A rod this size will throw poppers or much lighter flies and also be adequate in the salt when you need to throw heavy clousers and crab patterns for spottails. All you get by going lighter is less arm fatigue and that should be negligible with a 7 or 8 wt.

Good info guys. I have been looking into getting into the fly throwing thing. When I ask the guys behind the counter, they tell me that I have to have one rod for each type of fishing. I have steered away because it is, (according to those selling the goods) cost prohibitive.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Bug knows his stuff so I'll pre-empt with a "respectful alternative option." I would rather have 5 $100 fly rods to match the situation than one $500 rod that is perfect for just a few situations. I like 4wts for small popping bugs on bream and small bass. If I'm throwing a big deer hair frog with the hopes of catching ol bucket mouth, I'd go with an 8wt. The size of the fly does direct your choice. However, catching bream on an 8wt ain't much fun IMO.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Originally posted by Sashimi:
    I've got an old-school rod, but don't care much for the action, plus it's got an old "automatic" style real on it.... kind of like a wind up toy with a lever for pulling in your stipped line.
    Me too, I usually cast a 5/6 Fenwick, with a daiwa reel. I have one of those automatic reels on a shakespeare wonderrod that I sometimes use for carp or nymphing.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

5-6 wt. You want some hand tied leaders?
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Depends on how much your asking, shoot me a pm