I can’t vouch for the virtues of "large" pond management and fishing. However, I can vouch for the benefits of having a small pond stocked with fish. A developer put a new development at the end of our street and dug a small retention pond that is roughly ½ to ¾ of an acre. I was doing a geotech job for a new building at the time where they were going to drain a small pond to facilitate constructing the foundation for the new building. Last fall, my neighbor and myself went down and used my cast-net and got as many of the fish out as we could before the pond was fully drained which amounted to about 70-80 brim of various species, 10-15 largemouth ranging in size from about ¼ to 3 pounds, and about 5 channel cats. We put the fish in the retention pond and have only found one dead so far although the osprey hit them pretty hard when the bluegill started to bed. We have had countless hours of good fun fishing with the kids who are just happy to be catching fish. Hell my son’s first bass was caught out of there on a chunk of hotdog that I rigged him up to try to catch one of the cats while we were having our “first annual retention pond tournament”. Bottom line is that I think a ten acre pond would be a great sized pond for a few people to get going to fish for fun.