Thread: Pinewood Development Authority Meeting

This is IMPORTANT ! ! (IMO)

There will be a meeting on Thursday, February 22 at 5:30 to discuss property development at Rimini. This meeting will be held at the Santee-Lynches C.O.G. office at Liberty and Sumter in Sumter.

As it turns out, it is the COG (for the PDA) that has title to the land around Packs and this is the first public discussion of development possibilities for that property. I personally think it should have happened long ago, but they have been sort of "waiting" for the bridge issue. The COG has owned this land since the early 90s, I believe.

There are two members of the Sumter County Council and two members of the Clarendon County Council that will be officially making the decisions about the use of this property. I will provide more details later; it's time to leave for the Refuge meeting now.

I won't be able to make this, but everyone that has an interest in development in that area should try to be there.

It may just be my narrow little view, but I have been waiting to hear from this group on this topic. This is the only public-sector (non PSC) development that I know of in this area and they have a key piece of property... The land right around Pack's Landing, basically the foot-of-the-bridge if it happens. Their direction on development will probably have a lot of influence on surrounding development.

Anyway. A public discussion of their plans and background is overdue. If you were to look at the tax map for that area, you would see that the Santee-Lynches Development Corp. (C.O.G.) owns several parcels at Rimini. They have had this land for some time and actually "hold title FOR" the Pinewood Development Fund. This fund was established and derives its development authority from the Laidlway fees as per the following statutes:

CHAPTER 56.

SOUTH CAROLINA HAZARDOUS WASTE MANAGEMENT ACT

SECTION 44 56 163. Pinewood Hazardous Waste Contingency Fund; Pinewood Development Fund.

(A) There is created a Pinewood Hazardous Waste Contingency Fund to ensure the availability of funds for response actions necessary at the hazardous waste landfill located adjacent to the Town of Pinewood. This contingency fund is financed pursuant to Section 44 56 160(D). The monies from this fund must be returned to the governing body of the Town of Pinewood which must be used by its law enforcement, fire, health care, and emergency units to provide protection, assistance, and emergency preparedness for any contingency which might arise from the transportation and disposal site within the municipality. The State Treasurer shall disburse the funds quarterly to the governing body of the Town of Pinewood. Any interest accruing from the management of the funds held pursuant to Section 44 56 160 or this section must be credited to this contingency fund.
    (B) There is created the Pinewood Development Fund in the Office of the State Treasurer. This fund must be financed through fees provided in Sections 44 56 170 and 44 56 510 and credited to this fund pursuant to Section 44 56 175. This fund must be used for economic development in the Pinewood area in Sumter or Clarendon County within a five mile radius of the Pinewood Hazardous Waste Landfill. All funds in the Pinewood Development Fund, including interest earned on the fund, must be remitted quarterly by the State Treasurer to the City of Pinewood and expended pursuant to this subsection.

SECTION 44 56 164. Pinewood Development Authority; creation; composition; purpose; powers.

(A) There is created the Pinewood Development Authority a body politic and corporate. The authority shall consist of these ex officio members:
    (1) the chairman of the Sumter County Council or a council member designated by the chairman;
    (2) the chairman of the Clarendon County Council or a council member designated by the chairman;
    (3) one member of the Sumter County Council who represents the geographical area within which this fund may be used for economic development;
    (4) one member of the Clarendon County Council who represents the geographical area within which this fund may be used for economic development.
    (B) The authority shall approve, by a majority vote, the expenditure of funds from the Pinewood Development Fund, as created in Section 44 56 164(B) and may acquire and develop real and personal property and exercise all powers incidental to developing the Pinewood area pursuant to Section 44 56 164(B).

SECTION 44 56 175. Crediting of fees imposed pursuant to Sections 44 56 170(C), (E), and (F) and 44 56 510.

(A) Of the fees imposed pursuant to Section 44 56 170(C) and (E):
    (1) eighty three percent must be credited to the Hazardous Waste Contingency Fund;
    (2) two percent must be credited to the Pinewood Development Fund; and
    (3) fifteen percent must be credited to the general fund.
    (B) Of the fees imposed pursuant to Section 44 56 510:
    (1) fifty three percent must be credited to the Hazardous Waste Contingency Fund;
    (2) twenty percent must be credited to the Pinewood Development Fund; and
    (3) twenty seven percent must be credited to the general fund.
    (C) All fees imposed pursuant to Section 44 56 170(F) must be credited to the general fund.

The administration of the PDF is vested in represenatives of Sumter and Clarendon County Councils. Their last meeting on this topic is covered in the following minutes (Only MY selected highlights shown here; let me know if anyone wants to see the whole document:

ANNUAL MEETING

SANTEE-LYNCHES BUILDING
    36 WEST LIBERTY STREET, SUMTER, SC

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 2005; 6:30 P.M.

MINUTES

Members Present:
    Dwight Stewart PDA Chairman (Chairman, Clarendon County Council)
    Naomi Sanders PDA Vice-Chairperson (District 1 Rep., Sumter County Council)
    Charles Edens PDA Treasurer (Past Chairman Sumter County Council)
    Billy Richardson PDA Secretary (District 1 Rep., Clarendon County Council)

Louis Fleming PDA Chairman-elect (Chairman, Sumter County Council)

Members Absent:
    Mr. Eldridge* PDA Secretary-elect (District 3 Rep., Sumter County Council

Ex-officio Present:
    Gary Hallmark Shaw AFB Planner

IV. PDA Fact Sheet: Mr. Darby reviewed the fact sheet of basic information for the attendees. He noted that a Shaw AFB representative should be listed as an ex-Officio representative. For the past several meetings, that position has been in attendance by Gary Hallmark, Shaw AFB Planner.

Mr. Darby used the visual aids to show the property location, shape and size, and the approximate boundaries of the 5-mile Authority radius. Mr. Darby provided a brief history of the legislation and the reason for forming the authority. The Authority was provided for in State legislation to offset the perceived detriment the waste treatment site was and would, in the future, have on the economy of the Pinewood area in Clarendon and Sumter Counties. Tipping fees from the disposal operations at the site were collected by the State and a portion of which were returned to the area to carry out “economic development” as specified. The Fact Sheet shows that funds have been spent on three major projects to date. The account has approximately $1.7 Million available for future projects. Mr. Darby reminded the Board of Clarendon County’s previous willingness to approve a sewer project for Sumter County. At some future time, Clarendon County anticipates a similar economic benefit for a similar Clarendon County project.

VIII. Shaw AFB Impact: Mr. Darby prefaced his remarks by noting the “season” (referring to the BRAC) we are in regarding the stability of Shaw AFB. The bombing range is used by a number of military operations including carrier/fighter activities off shore. This range is a high-use property for flight training and proficiency. The overhead transparency showed the military routes into the MOA (Military Operations Area) and the circuit used for runs through the bombing range. This aircraft activity generates loud noises. Regional planning is interested in minimizing development and noise complaints that would impact the stability of the range and base operations.

IX. Board Approval to Request Proposals updating site study: Mr. Stewart asked for some details on the requested action. Mr. Darby explained that the first step in moving forward was usually described as a “Statement of Qualifications”. The Rimini area was reviewed in 1990 for a conceptual plan of what might be appropriate for the area. Since the proposed centerline of the bridge and roadway is now known, staff supports updating the conceptual plan in light of current knowledge about the area and its demographics. This would provide for a “best practices” concept for the economic enhancement of the area.

Mr. Darby reviewed the characteristics and land use patterns from I-95 and up the River Road to Rimini. Lake Marion’s characteristics change from an open water environment at the I-95/Hwy301 bridge into a semi-open water environment up to about Pack’s, and above Pack’s it is a river/swamp environment, and above Sparkleberry, it is a swamp environment. It is those environmental changes that are particularly attractive to people interested in outdoor recreation. We refer to this as “eco-tourism”. There are lots of other non-invasive, types of tourism associated with Lake Marion. The Palmetto Trail is one of these. If development continues below this property near I-95, the need for preservation and attractiveness of this area increases.

Bill Hoge related that in regard to the Land Use Plan, the expected growth will be around Sumter. The plan reflects a preservation of the environment around Shaw AFB and its operational areas. He noted that the Manchester Forest and the low lands near the Wateree and Santee rivers are designated Conservation-Preservation. These are not suitable for development. The Rimini zoning is agricultural conservation and it allows for very low density activities such as farming and limited development of commercial and single family housing. A golf course and low density cabins would be allowed. Anything larger, such as a motel/hotel, is not presently allowed within the zone. Neither water nor sewer is available. For the foreseeable future, the planning department sees this area as limited development, although things like recreational eco-tourism & low density housing is allowed.

Gary Mixon mentioned the 22,000 acres available at Manchester State Forest for public use by sportsmen. He noted there is limited or no opportunity for an overnight stay. Poinsett State Park has limited ability to have overnight stays. This development would be an opportunity to enhance the use of local facilities by offering overnight stays for tourism.

Mr. Darby talked about the need for a Market Analysis and cited the usage of Wampee and the Santee State Park as facilities that are in high demand. Looking at what this market could be, a market analysis will help in identifying the right project. We would also need a land use plan for the site to preserve the appealing characteristics of the site for trees, other indigenous foliage, and topography.

These studies and plans would be brought back to this board for discussion and analysis. We would then agree upon the best use of the property and begin to explore using our capital in the best manner to bring the project about. There are many options for capital use to achieve the greatest impact and these will be explored as the site plans become known.

The staff request is:

1. To procure Statements of Qualifications by professional entities that are qualified to do a market analysis, and

2. Develop that information into a list of qualified firms to do the Market Analysis, the Economic Development Study and the Land Use Plan, consistent with the natural opportunities in the area. The Board will make a selection from the qualified firms.

Mr. Stewart asked for a motion directing staff to proceed. The motion was made by Mr. Fleming, seconded by Mr. Richardson, and approved without dissent.

FACT SHEET

Authorization: South Carolina Legislature

Administration Authority:
    Officers: Chairperson, Clarendon County Council
    Chairperson, Sumter County Council
    Dist. #1 Representative, Clarendon County
    Dist. #3 Representative, Sumter County

Ex-Officio: Mayor, Town of Pinewood
    Executive Dir., Clarendon Co. Dev. Board
    Executive Dir., Sumter Co. Dev. Board
    Planner or Designee, Shaw Air Force Base

Administration and Fund Management Agent:
    Santee-Lynches Regional Council of Governments/
    Santee-Lynches Regional Development Corporation.

Purpose of the Fund:
    To facilitate Economic Development within a five (5) mile radius (includes City Limits of Pinewood) of the Hazardous Waste Landfill site near Rimini.

Source of Funds:
    Surcharge on hazardous waste disposal fees, paid quarterly through the State.

Community Investments of Significance to Date:
    Pinewood Depot Building Roof (Public Project) $11,240 (1993)
    St. Marks property, 148 ac (PDA Asset Purchase) $169,080 (1993)
    Pinewood Sewage System (Public Project) $355,941 (1995)

Election of Officers

In accordance with the South Carolina State Statute, there are only four eligible office holders for the Pinewood Development Authority (PDA) and they are elected officials from Clarendon and Sumter County Councils—Both County Council Chairpersons and both area Representatives (Rimini & Pinewood) of the Counties.

A tradition for annually rotating the Chairpersonship of the Pinewood Development Authority between the two County Chairpersons during the term of their county service was established by prior officers. The Secretary and Treasurer also exchange positions.

Newly elected officeholders of the County positions, carry out the remaining term of the departing officeholder on the Pinewood Development Authority Board until the Pinewood Development Authority’s next annual election. The election procedure can be changed at the will of the Board.

Staff proposes the following nominations for election:

Proposed Nominations

Proposed Nominations:
    2006-2007
    Chairperson Dwight Stewart
    Vice-Chairperson Vivian McGhaney
    Secretary Billy Richardson
    Treasurer Jimmy Byrd

Pinewood Development Authority Meeting
    Tuffy
    Do you find it the tittle of this as ironic as I do? First off there is no one from Pinewood on the board? Second they have bought a piece of property not in Pinewood. Third the piece of property is mostly wet land that they would like to develop.

You would think this would be great piece to WMA with corn ponds not cabins or golf course?

There's lots of room for questions, but these folks aren't yet on my "Evil List". The name is the result of the mailing address for the Laidlaw facility, the way the statute was written, and the fact that Rimini wasn't on the political map before the bridge. The purpose was "economic development within a five-mile radius of the ... landfill". I notice that they are pleased that this actually touches the Pinewood Town Limits.

I would want to verify for myself on the tax map, but I think it is true that their land is only the high ground around this point and does not include any real wetlands.

Landfill politics being what they are, we are probably lucky that Sumter/Clarendon got anything at all out of the landfill. They do have a rather "cute" organizational arrangement with a statutory "front" Fund, County Council Board, and C.O.G. staff, but I'm yet to find the bad guys. Their original plan was some kind of "retreat" in this area, whatever that means. The 2005 meeting minutes seem aimed that way, towards some nature-based lodging and park. I think they would like to see something like Hickory Knob there if they had enough land or surrounding development partners. I'm sure someone somewhere in the process has their own interests in mind, but I haven't found such a person and believe the staff is straight and the current board is still open-minded.

The C.O.G. planning has always assumed one of three different development trends for their overall county area. One was a continuation of current trends. One was Industrial Growth. The final was along the lines of Retirement & Eco-Tourism. So far, they seem to believe in the last one, at least for this area for now. Water and road infrastructure pretty much support that for the forseeable future.

It's time to have an idea of what we'd like to see happen in the entire area from 378 down the lake to the dam. There are a couple of pieces of this that are "off the table" in one way or another and this little public-sector decision in Rimini probably has the greatest influence on what happens from the trestle up to 378. I personally don't think it can control what might happen between I-95 and the trestle, but might because this will be the basis for local government infrastructure discussions that will impact that. I would predict that there will one day be a very good highway connecting Rimini (and above) to I-95. The fact that the public sector has a direct decision in the Rimini property will greatly determine how development will be controlled along that "Old River Road Parkway", I do believe.

If I were King, I would turn the developers loose on everything below I-95 (yeah, the Refuge..I know) and be using the I-95-to-Rimini corridor as a transition zone into a high-preservation zone above the trestle. It's up there that there is still much to be preserved, if it's anyplace. The Refuge will have to save what it can on the lower end, but it's going to be under a lot of pressure and I doubt just how effective it can ever be.

Of course, nobody ever asked me what I thought...

Someone tell me they are going to attend this meeting and find out what is being said since I can't make it.

Any updates. Heard people were told to pack up on Pack’s road.

Yes very old thread.
    There's a fine line between HARDCORE AND IGNORANCE!