Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few things I learned this season

Default A few things I learned this season

Aging baby boomer's post made me reflect on my season, and like every year, I walked away having gained more knowledge than I ever thought I would while simultaneously having things I knew to be fact, tossed right out the window.

Before this season I was pretty certain that ducks were creatures of habit.
    If you found a group of ducks in an area before noon one day, and they weren't disturbed, they would be there the following morning.

On two occasions, I found a sizable group of puddle ducks using an area, and returned to have duckless skies.
    The first time it was 40+ wild mallards and a few gadwalls.......nothing. nada. Never to be seen again.

The second time, it was well over 100 puddle ducks, only to have about 15 return the next day,once the fog burned off.

Ducks 1. Bogster.....Lesson learned.

I learned that wood ducks will roost in the dead center of a floating hyacinth patch.

I learned that for no sensible reason whatsoever, wild mallards will sometimes light at 70 yards, no matter how still, hidden, or quiet I am.

I learned that a bufflead (no, I didn't shoot it) really doesn't taste much different than a ringneck.

I learned that I am uncapable of patching waders.

I learned when shooting a side by side shotgun, I will always pull the trigger a third time.

I learned that during warm spells, I should take a breambuster and a jig when hunting smartweed lines.....The crappie were thicker than ducks nearly every time I was out.

I learned that snow geese at 700 yards are actually white pelicans at 100 yards.

I learned to not look up in amazement when a thousand blackbirds are descending on the saw grass I'm standing in.....bird poop running down your cheek isn't a pleasant sensation.

I didn't kill many ducks this year, but like always, I learned a lot.

I think about men who have trumped the marshes, braved the weather, and studied ducks for 50+ years.

I am in awe of their wisdom.

....I'm about ready to catch some fish.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    ....I'm about ready to catch some fish.
    Yep
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Now here is a post worth reading.

Well said, thanks for sharing.
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK

Every duck hunt is like a continuing Ed class. Except much funnier!!!
    It's always High Tide in the High Tide

you wear waders? I thought you wore khakis and sperry's. I'm ready for teal season. We need to wet a hook soon though! Maybe a snipe
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I would've hunted teal barefooted that September day, if there weren't clam shells all over that mudflat.....I may be a hair more country than I seem on the surface.

I told mudeagle today that it would be about a week before the ponds are drained. I'll be in touch.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

i might have a franchi like yours on the way too.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

there were many a days i wish i would have brought a fishing pole hunting.

Glad to hear you have learned some lessons and bettered yourself from it... But you are slow as fuck on this:

"I learned that during warm spells, I should take a breambuster and a jig when hunting smartweed lines.....The crappie were thicker than ducks nearly every time I was out."
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Very hard to scout this season. See them using one place today and tomorrow they were somewhere else. I feel your pain on that

Good Post

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    Glad to hear you have learned some lessons and bettered yourself from it... But you are slow as fuck on this:

"I learned that during warm spells, I should take a breambuster and a jig when hunting smartweed lines.....The crappie were thicker than ducks nearly every time I was out."
    Camo, please be patient with those of us that don't have the decades of experience, and encyclopedia of first hand field knowledge.
    Unlike you, many of us were raised in inner city metros, and not on the banks of rivers and marshes.
    I for one, can only hope to retain a fraction of the knowledge you have on wildlife, and how to pursue it.

As always, those of us, in our infant seasons, look forward to your impeccable wisdom.

Good post. Decades ago in Sparkelberry, I learned to never rely on my hunting partners eyes. We were on an afternoon hunt and things were slow to say the least. Matter of fact, I had nodded off when my partner said "DUCKS"! Where ol boy I asked. He pointed to the sky and I looked at him in amazement. WTF, those are figther jets at a distance dumbass!! Boredom and hopes of grandour combined with a partner with a wild imagination that couldn't see worth a shit, made for a one hell of interesting hunt.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    ...those are figther jets at a distance dumbass!! Boredom and hopes of grandour combined with a partner with a wild imagination that couldn't see worth a shit, made for a one hell of interesting hunt.
    Would have been a hell of a lot more interesting if'n you'da let him shoot at 'em!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Good read, Bog.

I learned that you can punch a 90# Chesapeake, square in the chops at 6am, and the only result is a hurt right hand, and a sheepish grin from a dog as to say "is that all you got?"
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Good post Bog.

Every hunt presents itself with lessons if we are taking note.

This season I have decided to no longer hunt with a group. From now on, I will hunt solo or with 2 others max. I'm done piling 5+ guys in a hole and double tapping every bird that comes in. I would rather sleep in bed than have 6 guys kill 12 birds, when 2 or 3 hunters could have eaisly done the same.

I have this feeling that there is a funny story behind the snow geese/pelican incident.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

enjoyed that

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    Good post Bog.

Every hunt presents itself with lessons if we are taking note.

This season I have decided to no longer hunt with a group. From now on, I will hunt solo or with 2 others max. I'm done piling 5+ guys in a hole and double tapping every bird that comes in. I would rather sleep in bed than have 6 guys kill 12 birds, when 2 or 3 hunters could have eaisly done the same.
    ^This. I have hunted with 1 2 and 3 people before and it doesn't work. Someone is going to screw it up. Thats why i didn't kill shit till I started hunting solo and you have no one to blame but yourself and your hound!
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"