Thread: bush hook

Can you set bush hooks on santee?
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

NO. You will have to run up the lake and up the santee river until it forks into the Congaree and the Wateree before you can set a hook legally.
    He would have been nice next year.

bush hook = trot line? curious.

Bush hooks are generally one hook on one piece on twine hanging from a bush limb into the water. As opposed to the trot line which spans from one limb to another with several hooks. However, if I had to guess, the same laws and regs apply to each.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

Please don't use them. I have had to many bass tangle me up in one that everyone seems to "leave in the trees." Plus I don't know how many catfish I see left on the lines? Rod and reel is a better, and you have more fun.

That is bad, but not near as bad as when you brush by a limb in a moving boat only to discover you just got embeded with a 6/0 hook and the boat is still moving forward!

trotlines hooks are submerged and bush hooks are not. Therefore not the same laws.
    He would have been nice next year.

I know that when I set bush hooks its done legally. All my rigs are properly labeled with my name and address and I mark them with reflective tape so that I can retrieve them easily. I use a small piece of 1" pvc pipe with the reflective tape rapped around it, and tie that portion to the limb of the tree. Like any other sport, there are slobs out there that make the people that set hooks legally look bad. You also need a set hook permit, only five bucks.

Bush hookin is good catfish/drinkin fishing. Watch where you go in them boats. I usually set mine up on the edges UNLES I am in Santee Swamp then they are every where. BUT you can see mine. I keep reflective tape on them. The only problem I have is people cutting them down or stealing my fish
    I love Defenseless Animals... Especially in a good gravy<br /><br />When I wake up in the morning I piss excellence

Originally posted by Green Heads Only:
    That is bad, but not near as bad as when you brush by a limb in a moving boat only to discover you just got embeded with a 6/0 hook and the boat is still moving forward!
    Dude, if you cant run your boat without putting it in the trees, maybe you need to get a slower boat. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil-flip.gif[/img]
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

There has to be a law against leaving those in the trees. Ain't too sporting in my book
    #SPURSUP

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Bush hooks are fun, but I only used to set them when I didn't have a boat. I waded to fish them.

More fun is fishing bottles! We used to fish them a lot in a 50 acre pond here. Ain't nothing like paddling around chasing jugs with a big ass catfish on'em! But man that was hard work.

Once we got trolling motors and outboards we was hell on bottles! And we'd fish them in the lake by going into a long neck and stringing a trotline across the mouth, then throw out 100 or more baited bottles. Build a fire on the bank and tell lies about hunting, fishing, and sexual conquests for a couple of hours then head out to chase bottles! [img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Originally posted by Mergie Master:
    Build a fire on the bank and tell lies about sexual conquests for a couple of hours
    You said it. LIES.... [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Not me ya fly fishing fool!

I tell the truth! Everybody else lies! [img]graemlins/shakehead.gif[/img]

Btw, Oh Great Flyfish'n Guru, what largest tippet I can use with a #14 fly? [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Real men don't use tippets..... [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

I don't need my name in the marquee lights....