Thread: 01 Suburban Heater Question

Default 01 Suburban Heater Question

So the heat seems to have quit working in this thing.

All the controls work. got plenty water.

It seems that water is not flowing thru the heater core. One hose going to it is hot, the other is cool. Seems the return hose should be at least warm to the touch.

Thoughts?? Thanks.

Stopped up heater core. You can take a water hose to it and try and flush it. With that age and as easy as they are on that model I would just replace.
    More fuel = more boost!!

word, that's kinda what i figured.

I may try the hose for temporary fix.

Are they that easy to change?? where can i get directions?? YouTube maybe?

If im not mistaken the dash has to come out to change if that helps. Try to flush out with hose both ways first.

Water seemed to flow easily booth ways. It seemed ok last nite, but will get a real test this morning.

Also, i'm thinking this has 2 heater cores- 1 front, and 1 in back. I know it has separate fans and it does have 2 water lines running to the back of the car. The heat was not hot in the front or the back. There maybe something else wrong.

Check the water level in your radiator. Heater core is more than likely stopped up. You can get a Flush-T at Oriellys and do it your self.
    "Fun hipster shit is just poor Latino shit from 10 years ago"

If your suburban has a heater bypass valve, locate it by tracing the smaller coolant hoses off the intake back towards the firewall. check for function of the valve. the older vacuum operated ones would leave the heater cores bypassed if the vacuum operation wasn't 100%.
    More fuel = more boost!!

If one hose is cold then you have a restriction. I would also check the line coming out the intake. it has a plastic clip that snaps it into the intake coupling. I have seen that port get stopped up as well which is feed to the core. Leave that hose off and spray water into that port then remove radiator cap and allow engine to run with water hose in radiator with intake coolant line still disconnected until good flow comes out.

I would still flush the core again.

Take note that just because you flush it never means you will regain heat. Sometimes the restriction is so great the core HAS to be replaced.

With a thermometer in the vents, you should have close to 150 degrees.
    More fuel = more boost!!

mmm, well, she said it was a little better, but not 'right'.

Both lines should be about the same temp(pretty hot) all the time, correct?? no matter if heat/ac is on or the setting of thermostat?

my lines going to the core both come off the water pump(or dang close down to it) side by side. there is no line going from the intake directly to the core.

I'll try to flush it again... that was pretty easy and may have helped. I guess really i didnt flush it, it seemed to have good flow so i stopped. I'll run a good bit of water thru it.

both temps should be the same on those hoses
    More fuel = more boost!!