Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Beef jerky

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Beef jerky

    I think I have seen it before. I do not own a dehydrator but I do have an oven. Packaged jerky is expensive and I am looking for a way to snack through the day but still gain protien while I do it.

    What is the best way to achive this with Jerky?

    Cut of meat?
    Seasoning?
    Process?

    Thanks
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Blythewood
    Posts
    15,723

    Default

    Cut of meat?... Anything.

    Seasoning?.... Anything.

    Process?... Slice it up. Let it sit in your marinade for 24hrs. Dehydrate by whatever process you choose.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    Thanks, but I was looking for a little more than that.

    What have you had the best luck with?

    Im sure I could google this, but why do that when I have access to all of you.
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Holly Hill
    Posts
    2,044

    Default

    Take a deer ham slice it in thin strips and put it in Dehydrator overnight. The oven seems to cook it more than dry it out. Any kind of seasoning
    Last edited by ReelHard; 01-15-2013 at 03:58 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Blythewood
    Posts
    15,723

    Default

    You need to talk with Guy on here.

    Evidently his jerky is good shit.

    What I wrote is exactly what I've done before and it was great.

    We always made some teriyaki, some black pepper and Worcestershire, and some "hot" (which is never the same twice).
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    41,471

    Default

    It really is as simple as he posted. Slice it thin, soak it and dry it out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    FROG LEVEL
    Posts
    17,853

    Default

    Put on toothpicks and hang on rack in oven on low as it will go with the door cracked overnight. Put some aluminium foil under it so it want make a mess. Good stuff
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    34,044

    Default

    flank steak or other cheap cut.

    its important how you slice it. go against the grain (perpendicular to). that way, the finished product is easier to chew.

    marinate in something salty. I cooked my last batch on the rack of my oven with a lot of tinfoil at the bottom to catch the juice. they were fine.

    WATCH OUT all you paleo/crossfit cult members. the jerky you buy in the store that you think is so healthy is FULL of salt and sugar.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Holly Hill
    Posts
    2,044

    Default

    ^Fuck Crossfit

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    henville
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Nesco seasonings are sold online. There "original" packs replaced me having to buy 7 different bottles of stuff to season. I still add extra garlic powder and black pepper. Crushed red pepper to add heat or jalapeno if wanted. I use worchestshire and beer instead of water to mix it. Use only half of the cure pack if you want to cut salt. It will work in the oven but like others have said, a dehydrator is the ticket. Nesco also makes a good express model dehydrators. Promise you it will be some of the best you ever had.
    Fuck pre-packaged jerky

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    41,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    flank steak or other cheap cut.

    its important how you slice it. go against the grain (perpendicular to). that way, the finished product is easier to chew.

    marinate in something salty. I cooked my last batch on the rack of my oven with a lot of tinfoil at the bottom to catch the juice. they were fine.

    WATCH OUT all you paleo/crossfit cult members. the jerky you buy in the store that you think is so healthy is FULL of salt and sugar.
    Thank you Capt Obvious for pointing out a commercial/processed product has sugar in it. They should get you to solve murders and shit. Tooth brusher by day. Crime solving/pointer outer of the obvious by night.

    "Careful citizens. There's water in that lake." swoooossshhhhhhh!

    You'll need a cape.
    Last edited by Glenn; 01-15-2013 at 06:04 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,558

    Default

    Kill some geese.

    Breast them.

    Thin slice.

    Marinate for 24hrs.

    Place in dehydrator, but in your case the oven on the lowest setting possible and let them ride for 6-8 hrs.

    http://scducks.com/forum/showthread....ht=goose+jerky
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    34,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Thank you Capt Obvious for pointing out a commercial/processed product has sugar in it. They should get you to solve murders and shit. Tooth brusher by day. Crime solving/pointer outer of the obvious by night.

    "Careful citizens. There's water in that lake." swoooossshhhhhhh!

    You'll need a cape.

    Well, its no different than most of the common sense things I read in some of these "healthy forums." Hell, some people were actually SURPRISED to hear that DDS lost weight not eating fried foods and drinking beer.

    To some of us, its common sense but I fear the majority needs it spelled out.

    I am only here to help.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    FROG LEVEL
    Posts
    17,853

    Default

    Worked for me.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    41,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    Well, its no different than most of the common sense things I read in some of these "healthy forums." Hell, some people were actually SURPRISED to hear that DDS lost weight not eating fried foods and drinking beer.

    To some of us, its common sense but I fear the majority needs it spelled out.

    I am only here to help.
    I still think you would look bad ass in a cape.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Blythewood
    Posts
    15,723

    Default

    The dentite wouldn't look badass in a Mazerati, much less a damn'd cape...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ReelHard View Post
    Take a deer ham slice it in thin strips and put it in Dehydrator overnight. The oven seems to cook it more than dry it out. Any kind of seasoning
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post
    Kill some geese.

    Breast them.

    Thin slice.

    Marinate for 24hrs.

    Place in dehydrator, but in your case the oven on the lowest setting possible and let them ride for 6-8 hrs.

    http://scducks.com/forum/showthread....ht=goose+jerky
    The man wants BEEF jerky and here you two jacklegs are talking about geese and deer. Since when did deer and geese become beef??
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,558

    Default

    Whatever. I was giving him options to not have to spend the money on BEEF.

    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rosinville, SC
    Posts
    5,951

    Default

    Soy Sauce, fresh grated Ginger, fresh crushed garlic, cayenne pepper to taste.

    Slice the meat the way 2th said and marinate overnight or for as long as you can wait.

    then use the oven or a grill.

    I use one of these, put the coals in the pan on the bottom and the grill up top

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I got plenty of hooks but I think I'm going to need more ammo.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    3,098

    Default

    Any of you BGE folk or other temp controllable smokers ever smoked jerky?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

    --------------------------------------------------

    "Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

    "I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •