Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 1/11/2012 first drake mallard

Most of the fish I see in those pics look just as bad as this poor guy's duck.

I thought Carl Lewis was an old Track & Field star and was much darker than this fella
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Ghost View Post
    Those bass looked awful as well. His paint jobs need A LOT of work.
    those bass are not his fish . those fish are done by archie pillips out of louisiana .archie does whole sale work to alot of taxidermist throughout the nation. his paint job is very distinct. i dont like them at all but it is what it is. carls work now is really good now days but remember " MOST" taxidermist excel in certain things and fish is hiis thing not birds.

Good taxidermists may not like doing certain things. ie:ducks for some or fish for others and send them elsewhere. However, if you claim to mount ducks or whatever the animal may be, and you charge people money to do so then you had at least better have some clue as to what you are doing. Taxidermy is an art form, and from what I can see this guy has no business laying hands on anything with feathers.
    Try to justify his work all you want. I ain't buying it. It's a damn shame what he did to this duck and I'm sure many others. He not only owes this fella his money back. He ought to pay him damages for destroying a trophy he'll never get back lol!
    I'm with Squatty...I thought he was just a retired Olympian track star

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Good taxidermists may not like doing certain things. ie:ducks for some or fish for others and send them elsewhere. However, if you claim to mount ducks or whatever the animal may be, and you charge people money to do so then you had at least better have some clue as to what you are doing. Taxidermy is an art form, and from what I can see this guy has no business laying hands on anything with feathers.
    Try to justify his work all you want. I ain't buying it. It's a damn shame what he did to this duck and I'm sure many others. He not only owes this fella his money back. He ought to pay him damages for destroying a trophy he'll never get back lol!
    I'm with Squatty...I thought he was just a retired Olympian track star
    not justifying anything at all, just said he is good at fish and i really dont like the birds he puts out. its sad that the young man didnt research it before he took the duck to him. he want be able to get that duck back in the way he wants it and that is sad because it was his first. but like alot of people on this site have said before and will continue to sy over and over is you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by scandler View Post
    those bass are not his fish . those fish are done by archie pillips out of louisiana .archie does whole sale work to alot of taxidermist throughout the nation. his paint job is very distinct. i dont like them at all but it is what it is. carls work now is really good now days but remember " MOST" taxidermist excel in certain things and fish is hiis thing not birds.
    If he's so good at fish why does he have some wholesale taxidermists fish hanging on the wall of his shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    If he's so good at fish why does he have some wholesale taxidermists fish hanging on the wall of his shop?
    when guys get into taxidermy they usually learn from others in the industry and mintor under them. could be the case with them or at the time those fish were done could have been his first ones he did by himself. just saying the look like archies fish by the paint job or by someone that learn from him or one of his books. if you want to see any of his fish he does now or maybe any of the taxidermist in the state , north carolina , ect. i invite any of you to come to the taxidermy show in march 2014 and you could all look for yourselves to see who you would rather give your money to.

I don't understand why you would allow someone to take photos of mounts that aren't your own. I blame the OP as much as the taxidermist for not taking the time to do a little research first. Looks flat out horrible

Young buck...there will be others. Keep that bird, it will be good for a laugh someday. You always remember the hunt. I don't look at the dead shit on my wall and think fondly of the guy who mounted the thing for me. I look at them and think back to the hunts I killed them on.

spot on marsh chicken. it still would be nice to have the first done to where you could injoy it more if done right

Learn the lesson, and in the future, don't put ANY mounted animal in front of a window, like you did that poor Mallard! The sunlight will straight up ruin, your mounts. They'll be faded beyond recognition in short order.