Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bayou Meto boat race

I love the damn place. It's turned into an absolute mess. For some reason we still go back. Seen it great, seen it terrible but there is just something about it. Wish I coulda hunted it 30 years ago. No more racing for me. Slow and steady after the maniacs is how we roll now. Whitenuckled it in that ditch more times than I care to remember. I just wish Antonio had 22's on his boat trailer and kicked a bass cannon in his war eagle. Talk about a fish outta water. Flat gets it done though.
    \"Go to Know\"

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I don't have one of Lester's Cut Downs but I do have one done by an old friend of mine that guided and lives out. You have to learn how to blow a cut down, it ain't the same as blowing just any duck call. At least in my experience it was that way.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Those Scumter guys were the end of it all. They are not to be celebrated. They ruined it for everyone...

No bigger dumbasses ever hit the woods than those stupid motherfuckers.
    Very true. Not only did they guide out of staters by the gozillions, they slept with people's wives, started fights, etc....SC's bad rep started then.
    \"Go to Know\"

Quote Originally Posted by FBT View Post
    Very true. Not only did they guide out of staters by the gozillions, they slept with people's wives, started fights, etc....SC's bad rep started then.
    Here is a man that knows wassup. However, it was worth it...

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

The Arkansas Legend

Lester was a true professional duck hunting guide. His skills were and are still unmatched by anyone. For many years he guided many duck hunters from all over the United States. His clients experienced duck hunts only imagined by many of us. Many proclaim themselves to be the best live duck callers in the world, they never hunted with Lester. Lester passed away several years ago on the opening day of the Arkansas duck season taking with him priceless memories & skills. Lester's hunting skills were gained over many years of hunting. He grew up in the Arkansas Delta during a time period when hunting & fishing was bountiful & undisturbed by urban sprawl.

Lester loved to duck hunt & his techniques were his own, he pioneered the Cut-Down Olt Duck Call & validated it's potential. His calling was unique & nothing less than wizardry. His patience, calling expertise & methodical hunting skills could not be competed with. Many of us hunted with Lester & can attest to his hard earned abilities, no one will ever be that good again. Remembering Lester is important to us all, we are using what he taught us to continue a technique of hunting that evolved from a young boy that loved to hunt & fish. To us, knowledge & skills are what makes a champion...he didn't gain that from a panel of judges, he earned it on his own in the public flooded green timber of eastern Arkansas. Lester Capps is the true Arkansas Duck Hunting Legend. -- Kirk McCullough

Kirk McCullough and Lester Capps

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0CEdowT8XE[/ame]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Those Scumter guys were the end of it all. They are not to be celebrated. They ruined it for everyone...

exactly what i've heard. I started duck hunting after the hayday in sparkleberry and in the meto. Those boys were the reason why all the bad crap you hear about the AR boys hating SC boys. But from what i heard also, those were the good times in the meto, before them anyways, . I wish i could have experienced it then like i wish i could have experienced the swamp back then as well. Now it seems that those crappy days are starting again in both the meto and the lakes. It wasn't many years ago when i could show up at the lake at 5:30 and hunt anywhere i wanted. Now there are people sleeping in boats to hunt mergansers. All the peckerheads i've run into in ar over the last few years have been from SC or TN. Like romeocadet said yesterday in his post about AR. Treat the people with respect. A buddy of mine's neighbor is an older gentleman that hunts the meto with a big group of guys every year. They have been doing it for years from what i've heard. They stand around before the hunt and pray and just enjoy it for the memories both past and future. Thats the meto hunt i wanna go on!
    Last edited by Phone Man; 01-09-2013 at 07:54 PM.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I was 16 when I first hunted in AR. 2 friends and I made the trip out there over Christmas Break in the early 90's, I booked the hunt with Monroe 10 months in advance. We did not have any idea of what to expect but we wanted to hunt the green timber that was in all the videos.
    The hunting was OK but I really enjoyed listening to the stories between Monroe and Lester. The guides in the camp would talk about the call he made and how good it worked in the woods. Later in the week one of the guides, I believe his name was Jeff, needed Lester to help tune the call. It was a memorable experience to watch him in action.

That would have been Jeff Kruse (big fella) or Jeff Free (normal sized fella)... both great friends.. both could run an Olt..

Kruse is living in Alaska working on the pipeline. Free has fallen off the face of the earth..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I don't have one of Lester's Cut Downs but I do have one done by an old friend of mine that guided and lives out. You have to learn how to blow a cut down, it ain't the same as blowing just any duck call. At least in my experience it was that way.
    Merge, you're right it is extremely difficult call to blow well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Blowing a cutdown is definitely different than blowing a j frame call. The techniques and amount of air used is what differentiates the two. I have two calls Kirk modified and one of Brices black monsters. My favorite though is a bakelite olt keyhole modified by a friend here in Greenwood. Its got a little more rasp but still has the cutdown bark. I would love to have one of those old calls modified by some of the legends like Lester.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

heard about a boy camping out there and someone ran up on him shot a hole in his boat and shot his motor.

I knew all those cats, but did you all know James Fraize?

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    That would have been Jeff Kruse (big fella) or Jeff Free (normal sized fella)... both great friends.. both could run an Olt..

Kruse is living in Alaska working on the pipeline. Free has fallen off the face of the earth..

Free sounds familiar, but I don't recall his last name. I have some pics around the house somewhere of the hunt/lodge/etc. It seems like he was involved with videoing some hunts, maybe turkey or something out west.

That's Jeff Free. He did a GPB show here for a few years. Really good guy.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    That's Jeff Free. He did a GPB show here for a few years. Really good guy.
    Did you guide with them or just know them thru hunts?

I remember being in awe at the shear # of birds that worked Hollowell. According to those guys, it was a small #, but to a 16 year old from Clinton SC, it was flat amazing!

Sometimes I wish I was older and could have experienced the Meto back then. JAB, Nitro, and Merg if yall ever get some spare time and care to share some stories let me know when and where.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Have you tried mashin' ctrl/alt/del?

JAB one day we would appreciate it if you really told us how you feel about the people from Scumpter.

If I were to go the Metro again, you can bet your sweet ass I would walk in. Hell of a lot better hunting and I ain't got to endure the idiots.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

This is the truth.
    As for the racing, most of the trouble is caused by the idiots that get up front knowing full well that they can not run fast and will get passed but they still poke along in the middle of the run. I can not tell you how many times I have passed a boat loaded down with 4 or 5 hunters, two dogs and two dozen decoys running a smoking 22 MPH. But the very next morning, after getting swamped by the 25 faster boats passing them, the same idiots will be there at 3:00 so they can be at the front of the blast off.
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

I also have a cut down keyhole cut from Lester's jig. Been blowing it for years. First time I hunted with it was in Canada laying on my back in a layout blind. I thought I would pass out.
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

I had the occasion to meet Lester one time, but never got to hun with him. It was very interesting to me that the guys I thought were the best in the world (Kirk, Boo, and Steve) held him in such high regard. Almost like a legend.

There were some Sumter guys that made some major mistakes out there, no doubt. They also made those same mistakes here, so it wasn't exclusive to being out of state. General dumbassery is one thing, but they did some things that could have, and maybe should have gotten them killed.

I, too, preferred to walk in out there. We had several spots that were money, especially when they first flooded. Several years ago we walked into a place with Harley, and it was holding more ducks than any place I have ever been in BM. You could barely hear another shot.

I'm sure that I will hunt there again, and I most certainly missed the really special times, but I sure grew up in that place, and saw some things that most people wouldn't believe. My last three years at Clemson I spent 45 days a year propping up a tree in there, and while it wasnt the 80's, it was pretty damn special at times.

If you've never heard one of the good ones get down on an Olt, you are missing out.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands